Geno Auriemma: College men’s basketball is so far behind the times it’s unbelievable.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Geno sounds off:

I think the game is a joke. It really is. I don’t coach it. I don’t play it, so I don’t understand all the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator, forget that I’m a coach, as a spectator, watching it, it’s a joke. There’s only like ten teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you’d like to watch. Every coach will tell you that there’s 90 million reasons for it.

And the bottom line is that nobody can score, and they’ll tell you it’s because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of team work, nonsense, nonsense. College men’s basketball is so far behind the times it’s unbelievable.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/04/01/ge...ollege-basketball-i-think-the-game-is-a-joke/

Go Gophers!!

I think he's being a little strong with his words. There are things that need to be changed in men's basketball, but women's basketball is hardly the model in my opinion. The higher point totals are because there is very little defense. And it is the same teams in the Final 4 year after year.

A couple things here:
1. The 40th highest scoring team (arbitrary cutoff) in college bball still scores 74 points per game...translated to NBA game length that's almost 90 ppg average...is a 93-90 NBA game considered problematic?
2. Doesn't Geno coach women's bball? Where the 40th highest scoring men's team is at 74 ppg, the 40th highest women's team is at 72.4, despite a shorter shot clock and same amount of game time so...not sure what he is complaining about exactly

Sources:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/year/2015/cat/1
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/seasontype/2

Geno sounds off:

I think the game is a joke. It really is. I don’t coach it. I don’t play it, so I don’t understand all the ins and outs of it. But as a spectator, forget that I’m a coach, as a spectator, watching it, it’s a joke. There’s only like ten teams, you know, out of 25, that actually play the kind of game of basketball that you’d like to watch. Every coach will tell you that there’s 90 million reasons for it.

And the bottom line is that nobody can score, and they’ll tell you it’s because of great defense, great scouting, a lot of team work, nonsense, nonsense. College men’s basketball is so far behind the times it’s unbelievable.

http://thebiglead.com/2015/04/01/ge...ollege-basketball-i-think-the-game-is-a-joke/

Go Gophers!!

What's the date today? :confused:

A couple things here:
1. The 40th highest scoring team (arbitrary cutoff) in college bball still scores 74 points per game...translated to NBA game length that's almost 90 ppg average...is a 93-90 NBA game considered problematic?

Yes and that's why the NBA made changes to improve scoring in the game.

Geno can be pretty grating but he usually has a point that I can understand even if I don't agree. That's what makes this weird. It's a meander rant with no specifics.

A couple things here:
2. Doesn't Geno coach women's bball? Where the 40th highest scoring men's team is at 74 ppg, the 40th highest women's team is at 72.4, despite a shorter shot clock and same amount of game time so...not sure what he is complaining about exactly

Sources:
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/year/2015/cat/1
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas.../scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/seasontype/2

11 of the top 40 made the NCAA tournament and only 1 of the top 10.

The problem with the NCAA is the Coaches run the show and the NCAA just tags along.

The game has changed. It's about running, dunking, and 3-pts. The players suck at the rest of the game, so we have what we see. Pains to say, but Bo Ryan teaches a great game and now has players to play it. They do most everything well and score over 80 pts. a game. or 96 pts NBA style.

There are maybe half a dozen WBB teams that are even watchable. Rest play bad boys HS level ball.

Geno's a smart cookie. He realizes that the women's Final Four is being overlooked this weekend. He just brought the women's game into the conversation by making a polarizing comment about how boring the men's game is. Even negative publicity beats no publicity. Geno just got the women's game into the conversation.

Poor Geno, all that rage and I still will never have any desire to watch him coach women's basketball.

Geno's a smart cookie. He realizes that the women's Final Four is being overlooked this weekend. He just brought the women's game into the conversation by making a polarizing comment about how boring the men's game is. Even negative publicity beats no publicity. Geno just got the women's game into the conversation.

Exactly! And if you watch you could learn something about coaching basketball too.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Geno Auriemma claims nobody can score in the men's game. Let's use both the men's and women's highest profile games of the year to compare scores, keeping in mind the women used a 30-second shot clock so they have the potential for more possessions.

UCONN: 63
Notre Dame: 53
Total: 116

Duke: 68
wisconsin: 63
Total: 131

Go Gophers!!

Geno's team won the national title last night? That's just a stunning development. I never would have predicted that before the season started because DI women's college basketball is just so darn unpredictable.

I pose a hypothetical (it would never happen) but serious question for Gophers fans here:

If Pitino left for another job and Geno applied and flat-out said he wanted to be the Gophers' head coach, would you want Teague to hire him? For the sake of argument let's assume the candidates would be standard fare for Minnesota: successful mid-major head coaches; unproven potential up-and-comers; a top assistant from a major program; and/or a proven coach who's had had success in the past but might be past his prime.

Geno's team won the national title last night? That's just a stunning development. I never would have predicted that before the season started because DI women's college basketball is just so darn unpredictable.

I pose a hypothetical (it would never happen) but serious question for Gophers fans here:

If Pitino left for another job and Geno applied and flat-out said he wanted to be the Gophers' head coach, would you want Teague to hire him? For the sake of argument let's assume the candidates would be standard fare for Minnesota: successful mid-major head coaches; unproven potential up-and-comers; a top assistant from a major program; and/or a proven coach who's had had success in the past but might be past his prime.

Easy Yes! You don't get coaches with 10 championships often at any level. The only question is will he be able to teach and motivate with the mens players the same way he can teach and motivate the women's side but that would easily be worth the risk.

Geno's team won the national title last night? That's just a stunning development. I never would have predicted that before the season started because DI women's college basketball is just so darn unpredictable. I pose a hypothetical (it would never happen) but serious question for Gophers fans here: If Pitino left for another job and Geno applied and flat-out said he wanted to be the Gophers' head coach, would you want Teague to hire him? For the sake of argument let's assume the candidates would be standard fare for Minnesota: successful mid-major head coaches; unproven potential up-and-comers; a top assistant from a major program; and/or a proven coach who's had had success in the past but might be past his prime.

I think I would. He's a recognizable guy. One of the few women's coaches that would instantly have some clout in the room of 18 year old male players.

I can't see how he'd be any worse of a gamble than the usual candidates. Would also bring lots of publicity too.

After the last few games and especially tonight, I was reminded of these comments. After their easy 1st round win, UConn went on to average 60 points a game over their final 5 games (49 in the championship).

In men’s basketball, there were 69 teams that averaged 75+ points a game this season. In women’s there were just 19.

His comments were ridiculous then and continue to be ridiculous.

The other thing that gets overlooked is the size of the basketball. Few people take that into consideration. The Womens basketball is smaller.

If the men used their basketball, the scores for the men would go into the stratosphere

I just don’t know how anyone can say he is wrong. Watching teams struggle to get 50 points in early tournament games and even the elite 8 with Nova and Houston was outright ugly.

I just don’t know how anyone can say he is wrong. Watching teams struggle to get 50 points in early tournament games and even the elite 8 with Nova and Houston was outright ugly.
Really? There were also plenty of absolute shootouts this tournament so far. Ive enjoyed watching college basketball this year myself. Not every game needs to be in 80s for it to be fun to watch

Most sports fans don't care about women's basketball,they just don't, not even women, and that pisses coach Jim of Conn off.

Well, that last 2 min of a close basketball game can be horrendous

Geno made those statements 7 years ago when he basically got to hand-pick his recruits on a yearly basis. He basically had a dream team every year. Women's basketball has exploded in popularity and i think with that, the number of competitive college programs has increased as well. It's not quite as easy for Geno to put up 80 points a game like it was when he made the comments......

He was saying men’s basketball was behind women’s because scoring was so low. But in reality, men’s games had more scoring then compared to women’s and the difference is even higher now. He was most definitely wrong.

Top Bottom