General (random) thoughts on the Tip-Off

shikenjanski

Urinal Donor
Reaction score
-thought the crowd control was good. People were forced to sit in 3/4 of the lower level and gave the event a more cohesive feel. Made the crowd look bigger, people were packed in and the event had more of a game feel than any other Midnight Madness that I remember since the Haskins/Dutcher eras. (I know that isn't saying much.) The crowd looked to be up from last year. A lot more staff on hand and everything ran smoothly from what I saw.

-the addition of the autograph session at the end was a big hit with the all who stuck around at the end. A lot of families whose kids got to meet the players. Lots of smiles and good memories for the future fan base. Way to go whoever put that together!! (On a side note, the Paul Carter and Royce White autograph table had the most fun and was the most gregarious tandem that I saw. They won a lot of people over with their humor and willingness to engage and interact.)

-it was a nice touch that there were no parking fees. Kind of a small thing, but that made for a truly friendly event for families and poor young people like me.

-best two moments of the early contests were: (1) seeing Hoff hit 6 threes in a row, and then sink another five in a row at the end effectively winning the 3-pt contest. (2) watching the impressive athleticism that Tubby has collected putting down world-class dunks at The Barn tonight.

-favorite part of the scrimmage for me was seeing Al and Justin in the open court. Both guys looked great pushing the ball. Hard to believe Cobbs is a freshman. Interesting to see how he will handle Lucas, Battle, etc.

-least favorite element of the scrimmage was that 60% of the offensive possessions ended with someone hoisting up a low-percentage shot from deep after a disappointing set of meager passes and picks. I think the ball worked inside-out only once or twice. Still early, I know.

My Dad and I took my nephews and we both were impressed from the event from start to finish. It was extremely well run, it was fun for the kids and the adults and the time of it made it easy to get the kids home at a decent time. My nephews were so excited I thought one of them was going to jump out of his skin.

Really excited from what I saw with our new recruits - Rodney Williams holy smokes and Justin Cobbs is going to be a huge contributor I'm sure.

Oh and ditto on the autograph session - we were at Colton and Devoe's table and their interaction with all the kids was top notch!

Definitely seemed like a kid friendly event - kudos to Tubby and staff.

Mentioning Lucas and Battle reminds me to be a little more realistic and patient about Cobbs.

Thanks for the info.

How did Cobbs look as far as athletic ability and quickness?

i thought they should've had an intro song for each player like last year, that got them to do something more than just walk out...but then again i've been hearing many complaints from the old folk on here about their dislike for rap music...sorry, as long as you go to basketball games, you're going to hear it because that's the music you ball to...

Top Bottom