Gene Smith said that if Ohio State is selected to host a College Football Playoff game in the future, he would recommend playing indoors

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

For the record if the Gophers hosted a playoff game and chose not to play at the bank …. I don’t think I could handle it….

I am upset just thinking about it.

If the US men's soccer team can play outside in below zero wind-chill, the college playoff can be outdoor here.
I would think that whatever school is selected to host, the game would be played on their home field. The Gophers could go to U.S. Bank if they felt that they would have 70,000 people, however. I would think the Gophers would want Huntington, unless the only way they could host it were to be that the game be played at U.S. Bank for the purpose of more people.

I would think that whatever school is selected to host, the game would be played on their home field. The Gophers could go to U.S. Bank if they felt that they would have 70,000 people, however. I would think the Gophers would want Huntington, unless the only way they could host it were to be that the game be played at U.S. Bank for the purpose of more people.
The Gophers (and kinda-sorta the Indiana and Michigan schools) are the only Big Ten team who have an indoor option that would still be close to their campus. I still would prefer a game at the Bank, even if it's super cold.

Peacing out on your 100k seat stadium to drive 3 hours away and play in another state seems weak. The Big Ten schools have wanted southern teams to play up north for years once the weather gets nasty. Wimping out is bad football juju.

Ohio State is Blessed offensively year in and year out, so it makes some sense to them to play indoors. Gophers would benefit from the elements, especially against a team from a warm climate.

Playing Alabama outside in subzero temperatures would be even better than beating USC in the Rose Bowl.

Playing Alabama outside in subzero temperatures would be even better than beating USC in the Rose Bowl.
I'm highly skeptical of the advantage of weather in modern football but ... I'd still like to see it.

If the Gophers are playing in the playoffs, I hope it's at the Bank unless of course we are playing a team with worse WRs and QBs than us. Then I want the game played indoors.
Which is why Ohio state is saying they want to play indoors

I'm highly skeptical of the advantage of weather in modern football but ... I'd still like to see it.
Interesting take. I've seen multiple Gopher games during the Fleck era where the opponent appeared to be wishing they were somewhere else. Some coaches can prepare their squads, some can't.

During the Dilly Bar Dan game, it was clear from the outset that Ohio State didn't want to be there. They were playing at 3/4 speed for most of the game.

If home QFs happen, I'm eagerly awaiting the first SEC team to be dispatched to a foul weather destination.

During the Dilly Bar Dan game, it was clear from the outset that Ohio State didn't want to be there. They were playing at 3/4 speed for most of the game.

If home QFs happen, I'm eagerly awaiting the first SEC team to be dispatched to a foul weather destination.
If a northern school ever gets in there and its super-cold, you can bet the following year there will be a change.

Let them SEC boys come up here and get a real Big Ten whooping outdoors in the cold.

Bait a switch. Tell the SEC to not worry, and that you want to play inside in Indy, Detroit and Minneapolis. Then play all of the quarterfinals outside in the snow.

Bait a switch. Tell the SEC to not worry, and that you want to play inside in Indy, Detroit and Minneapolis. Then play all of the quarterfinals outside in the snow.
I don’t think outside makes a difference against a true national title contender. Because they’re going to come to play. Weather makes a huge difference against a team that’s just happy to be there though.

Ole Miss @ Iowa in the 8-9 game and Ole Miss might look pretty cold mid 2nd quarter

Posting this only because it is very tangentially related to above discussion about playing in indoor stadiums.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...ew-stadium-after-renovation-talks-hit-a-snag/

The Tennessee Titans have been discussing renovations to Nissan Stadium with Mayor John Cooper, but there are new indications the franchise could end up building a new home altogether.

Renovation talks hit a speed bump when the price tag for upgrades to Nissan Stadium unexpectedly skyrocketed. The Tennessean reported that the original price for renovations was $600 million, but a Titans spokesperson told Axios the cost may be double that figure. Now, the franchise and decision-makers will have to determine the best course of action.

While clearly nothing has been decided, a new Titans stadium in Nashville would be enticing. Nashville is quickly growing and becoming a hot spot for tourism -- whether that be for bachelorette parties or sporting events. Building a new stadium could also come with the option to construct an indoor location -- which would boost Nashville's chances of hosting a future Super Bowl. "Music City" impressed in hosting the 2019 NFL Draft, and could be set up to do more in the future.

Top Bottom