Garin Class Act at Gopher Women's Football Clinic

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
My wife, gopherfaith, reported on the exchange between Matt Garin and Mary Halvorson, widow of Gopher lineman Dale Halvorson (1960 National Champs).

Halvorson, like Garin, wore number 49. His widow Mary tearfully recalled her life with Dale, his love for Gopher football, and how much it meant to her to have number 49 playing for this year's team. At the end of her story, Garin gave her a big hug, to which Mrs. Halvorson seemed to emotionally hold on to.

What another great link form the past to the present and future. We should all be proud of Matt and the Halvorsons.

Dale died in 2008. Here is a reprint of his obituary from the StarTribune:

"Halvorson, Dale F. age 71 of Chanhassen, formerly of Bloomington. Dale is a US Navy Veteran, SW High School teacher and coach for 31 years, U of M football player, was a member of the 1960 National Championship Team and a lifelong Gopher fan. Preceded in death by his parents, Lawrence & Eleanor, stepmother, Josephine Dietz and grandson, Luis. Survivors include his loving wife Mary of 47 yrs; children, Chris (Sandra) Halvorson of Brainerd, Nancy (German) Peralta of Burnsville, Sara Halvorson & Fernando Espejo of Chanhassen; grandchildren, Jose, Carlos, Laura and Ricardo; sister, Phyllis Berg of Bloomington; nieces, nephews, special cousins, relatives and many friends."

Nice job Matt

Nice to hear these stories. These message boards need more of these stories and less trolls. :clap::clap:

Always nice to see moments when sports bring folks together. At the end of the day, that's what I appreciate the most about any sports experience. And its great to hear that Matt and Mrs. Halvorson had a bonding experience!!!:clap:

It was quite a moment to witness, I must say. Matt was so sweet to her and hugged her good and long and told her he was proud to wear her husband's number. Those of us standing there watching it got choked up! Great story, great kid.

It was quite a moment to witness, I must say. Matt was so sweet to her and hugged her good and long and told her he was proud to wear her husband's number. Those of us standing there watching it got choked up! Great story, great kid.

You're getting me choked up, but I'm such a sap for feel-good stories like this! Thanks for sharing :)

Top Bottom