GameDay atmosphere (Bucky bashing)

I guess I don't see the big difference in showing someone chugging a beer and said person smashing the can on their head. Either way, someone is doing something for attention that promotes drinking beer.

I mean, in that case, people should be upset about the Kiss Cam at sporting events because it promotes sexual activity. 🙄
Pouring a beer over one's self doesn't promote drinking beer in the same way that, say, drinking the beer would.

People kissing on the Kiss Cam doesn't promote sexual activity in the same way that, say, sexual activity would.

🙄

This is why I will never go to Madison again. Too many drunks who become assholes. It has slowly increased over the years to a disgusting level. Guys like we had on the big screen Saturday pouring beer on himself and smashing the can on his head. Not good for season ticket holder retention.
I was at the game in Madison in 2018 when the gophers beat them. I was attending with badgers fans and was very respectful and a good sport. I would cheer when the gophers would do good things (as any fan would). By the 4th quarter multiple people were threatening to fight me. All of them were females. My badger buddies were even appalled.

Pouring a beer over one's self doesn't promote drinking beer in the same way that, say, drinking the beer would.

People kissing on the Kiss Cam doesn't promote sexual activity in the same way that, say, sexual activity would.

🙄

To each their own. I've poured Hamm's Light on my own head at a public event in Detroit when it was 95 degrees out with 90% humidity because they ran out of water. I didn't think that was offensive to anyone other than my hair and my shirt for making them sticky.

To each their own. I've poured Hamm's Light on my own head at a public event in Detroit when it was 95 degrees out with 90% humidity because they ran out of water. I didn't think that was offensive to anyone other than my hair and my shirt for making them sticky.
At about 50 cents a can it's reasonable to do anything with Hamms Light -- but I agree with you that pouring a beer on your head without affecting anyone else is unoffensive. Though I don't think the gentleman in question was of sound enough mind to make sure that he only affected his shirt and hair.

Hamm's made a light beer?

Seems like a pretty extreme reaction to behavior at a college football game. Maybe BYU would be a better fit for you as a fan?
He was just making a point of contention that there were a lot of kids and grand kids at the game Saturday, and showing that incident on the big screen wasn't exactly the type of behavior we should be promoting at Gopher football games. That is more of an NFL Buffalo Bills type of scenario. Having fun is one thing, but smashing beer cans and pouring beer all over yourself with your shirt off isn't something we should see being glorified, or promoted on the big screen at a Gophers football game. This was in poor taste with that many young fans at the game. I guess it doesn't matter much. I found it more Hilarious the ex-Student with the JerrySota shirt flaxing like crazy on the Big screen, that too me was a little more hilarious than the beer pour guy.

HAHA. It could have just been Hamm's, but can confirm it was extremely light. It was 10 years ago, so I'm a little foggy on that detail. I just remember thinking the fact they even had Hamm's was crazy.

BTW, that guy and his 3 friends got kicked out of the game. They apparently left the stadium for whatever reason, then, when turned away by security trying to re-enter the stadium, decided to just run past them and went to their seats. Security went down to ask them to leave...they did not want to. Then, 3 or 4 cops went down there (about 6 more waiting at the top of the section) and peacefully removed all 4 of them. The knucklehead smashing the can on his head (completed the look with no shirt, and jeans tucked into his silver cowboy boots) had cuts all over his head.

What a bunch of tools.
That guy is Tom Finn. He is a very accomplished power lifter from the Chicago area. He was there to support Ko Kieft, per his instagram. @huckfinnbarbell if you're curious. https://www.instagram.com/huckfinnbarbell/?hl=en

Not saying he isn't an idiot, just adding background as most people wouldn't know him.

I thought the beer-can-smashing-muscle-head due was kinda funny in the moment the camera captured him. I'm also glad he wasn't next to me. That sort of thing leads to fists flying.

In addition to Special Light you must try Hamms Golden Draft -- the only place I've ever seen / bought it was at the Liquor Shoppe in Saint Cloud.

I grew up in a more rural area.

The drinking there was about 50% drinks while having fun and 50% what I deemed "bad drinking" like drinking not to feel feelings and to escape and so on. That stuff is infectious and is pretty horrible.

When I moved to the Twin Cities I realized how less visible that "bad drinking" was. I'm sure it is still around, maybe just as often, but it wasn't as noticeable.

At Gopher games folks are drunk, they're around, but they're mostly joyful / harmless. Guy not far from me has a few too many every other game or so, but he's happy / high fiving everyone.

When Wisc visits I see a lot of the bad kind of drinking / rando dude just smashed in a bad way. It's not pretty.
Like the diff between Army drinking and College drinking… College kids drink for fun. The infantry drinks to forget where they are. Never met a College kid that could hang with Military members of the same age.

Like the diff between Army drinking and College drinking… College kids drink for fun. The infantry drinks to forget where they are. Never met a College kid that could hang with Military members of the same age.
My drinking honed in the Marines and continued into college. Eventually, the State stepped and revoked driving privileges and imposed fines. Nothing to brag about. Sober since 1984.

Minnesota fans: worried about drinking on the big screen at games teaching kids bad things.
Wisconsin fans: *nsfw*

Minnesota fans: worried about drinking on the big screen at games teaching kids bad things.
Wisconsin fans: *nsfw*
I was driving Uber in Boston and a couple got in the car and the gentleman was from Boston and the lady was from Madison and went to UW. After about 15 minutes of conversation I looked at her and said "eat $#!%" -- the guy's mouth dropped and then she politely said back "&*#% you" -- laughs were had all around.

Last edited:

In addition to Special Light you must try Hamms Golden Draft -- the only place I've ever seen / bought it was at the Liquor Shoppe in Saint Cloud.
Top tier liquor store if I’m being honest

I would never have thought of getting a Hamm's Light...must have been in limited distribution. Hamm's is making a comeback with the younger set as a cool retro beer to order. Seeing tap handles steadily showing up...

Did not see the Golden Draft on the Hamm's website...

Yeah that sounds kind of inspiring to me!
He was right by me. I found it pretty funny. Not sure why the cops were called.

Edit: just read the "reentry" issue posts. I still wanted him to be around for Do the Gopher.

Last edited:

I would never have thought of getting a Hamm's Light...must have been in limited distribution. Hamm's is making a comeback with the younger set as a cool retro beer to order. Seeing tap handles steadily showing up...
I don't mind a Hamms now and then. Not terrible.

I've only been to Madison once for a game and it was a horrible experience. Harassed/threatened all night long. All the badger fans walking around had minimum 0.20 BAC, just stumbling everywhere. It was surreal.

I've been on a lot of Gopher hockey road trips and some teasing is normal but Madison was a whole different experience.

Are you the season ticket holder who would be hard to retain because of the silver man hitting himself with a beer can? I hadn't considered that the gentleman would be bad for the program / fans.
That is a great lesson for the kids, if you talk about it after.

This is true you will see Hamm's at Blue door pub and all of their establishments, because younger folks like this as a retro beer. Hamm's is a beer that my dad and all of my uncles drank back when it was made locally.

Did not see the Golden Draft on the Hamm's website...
It seems to be discontinued -- its been ~ 5 years since I had one. Too bad that Special Light got the axe as well

Two different cultures, one is a world class public aacademic institution that also prides itself on being a world class party school.
The other is also a world class public academic institution that prides itself on moderation.
I have lived in both places and to quote a MN relative who has a cabin in WI, "People in WI have more fun".

Just a hunch, but do many of these arrests involve mooning the opposing team's bus as it is coming to the stadium? That seems to be a tradition in Wisconsin!

Two different cultures, one is a world class public aacademic institution that also prides itself on being a world class party school.
The other is also a world class public academic institution that prides itself on moderation.
I have lived in both places and to quote a MN relative who has a cabin in WI, "People in WI have more fun".
We definitely don't go as hard as the Badgers -- but other than BYU what colleges can say that pride themselves on moderation -- moreover what makes you say that we do?

Top Bottom