GameDay atmosphere (Bucky bashing)

I grew up in a more rural area.

The drinking there was about 50% drinks while having fun and 50% what I deemed "bad drinking" like drinking not to feel feelings and to escape and so on. That stuff is infectious and is pretty horrible.

When I moved to the Twin Cities I realized how less visible that "bad drinking" was. I'm sure it is still around, maybe just as often, but it wasn't as noticeable.

At Gopher games folks are drunk, they're around, but they're mostly joyful / harmless. Guy not far from me has a few too many every other game or so, but he's happy / high fiving everyone.

When Wisc visits I see a lot of the bad kind of drinking / rando dude just smashed in a bad way. It's not pretty.

Last edited:

I know our game day atmosphere varies week to week , but at least we don’t see the kind of disorderly conduct they get at Camp Randall. 45 ejected and 32 arrested on Saturday. https://thehill.com/homenews/state-...-during-university-of-wisconsin-football-game
My brother is an alum and I don't recall who said it, maybe the new chancellor, but she wanted Madison to be known as a Flagship of Sobriety and has been letting students know that "badgers mix in a water"

The drinking there was about 50% drinks while having fun and what I deemed "bad drinking" like drinking not to feel feelings and to escape and so on. That stuff is infectious and is pretty horrible.

When I moved to the Twin Cities I realized how less visible that "bad drinking" was. I'm sure it is still around, maybe just as often, but it wasn't as noticeable.

At Gopher games folks are drunk, they're around, but they're mostly joyful / harmless. Guy not far from me has a few too many every other game or so, but he's happy / high fiving everyone.

When Wisc visits I see a lot of the bad kind of drinking / rando dude just smashed in a bad way. It's not pretty.
As someone who sits in the student section at both football and hockey games I have seen many of the bad kind in my 10 years attending games -- though I don't know if any one game has been as bad as the stats for the Eastern Michigan game.

The drinking there was about 50% drinks while having fun and what I deemed "bad drinking" like drinking not to feel feelings and to escape and so on. That stuff is infectious and is pretty horrible.

As someone from rural MN, yeah the problem drinking is worse there percentage wise and it’s a known thing across the US. That being said, I’ve seen it on both sides watching gopher games (as well as pretty noticeable in a bad way at Camp Randall both times I’ve been there). Just makes for a shitty viewing situation and is embarrassing

My brother is an alum and I don't recall who said it, maybe the new chancellor, but she wanted Madison to be known as a Flagship of Sobriety and has been letting students know that "badgers mix in a water"
Is this a joke? Was this published in the Onion?

Speaking as a recovering alcoholic, my buddies and I used to make fun of 'social' drinkers. Our mind-set was, if you're thirsty, have a pop or a lemonade. Booze is for getting a buzz on - or for getting hammered, depending on your mood and the situation.

of course, a lot depends on what you're drinking and whether you've had something to eat or not.
4 or 5 beers or mixed drinks on an empty stomach will hit you a lot harder as opposed to the same amount of booze after a good meal. Likewise, the faster you drink, the quicker it's going to hit you.

A buddy of mine would drink chocolate milk before going out drinking, because he thought it would coat the walls of the stomach and slow the absorption of the booze into your system.......

This is why I will never go to Madison again. Too many drunks who become assholes. It has slowly increased over the years to a disgusting level. Guys like we had on the big screen Saturday pouring beer on himself and smashing the can on his head. Not good for season ticket holder retention.

In over 20 years of going to Gopher games I have never once seen a Gopher fan do something I would call the cops on or expect someone to get into trouble over. I cannot recall ever seeing a physical fight at a Gopher game.

A few drunken rants at the end of games are the worst I've personally seen from someone in M&G

This is why I will never go to Madison again. Too many drunks who become assholes. It has slowly increased over the years to a disgusting level. Guys like we had on the big screen Saturday pouring beer on himself and smashing the can on his head. Not good for season ticket holder retention.
Are you the season ticket holder who would be hard to retain because of the silver man hitting himself with a beer can? I hadn't considered that the gentleman would be bad for the program / fans.

Last edited:

Are you the season ticket holder who would be hard to retain because of the silver man hitting himself with a beer car? I hadn't considered that the gentleman would be bad for the program / fans.

Yeah that sounds kind of inspiring to me!

Speaking as a recovering alcoholic, my buddies and I used to make fun of 'social' drinkers. Our mind-set was, if you're thirsty, have a pop or a lemonade. Booze is for getting a buzz on - or for getting hammered, depending on your mood and the situation.

of course, a lot depends on what you're drinking and whether you've had something to eat or not.
4 or 5 beers or mixed drinks on an empty stomach will hit you a lot harder as opposed to the same amount of booze after a good meal. Likewise, the faster you drink, the quicker it's going to hit you.

A buddy of mine would drink chocolate milk before going out drinking, because he thought it would coat the walls of the stomach and slow the absorption of the booze into your system.......

Glad you’re in recovery!

They almost see it as a point of pride now. It's really weird.

Are you the season ticket holder who would be hard to retain because of the silver man hitting himself with a beer car? I hadn't considered that the gentleman would be bad for the program /
I have been attending for 39 years and yes, more of that and I will stop recruiting friends/kids to come and will take my grandkids to the park instead. It was unnecessary to display that. It is bad for the program.

The drinking there was about 50% drinks while having fun and 50% what I deemed "bad drinking" like drinking not to feel feelings and to escape and so on. That stuff is infectious and is pretty horrible.

I am that guy in 109. I come to you hat in hand asking for an apology.

Are you the season ticket holder who would be hard to retain because of the silver man hitting himself with a beer can? I hadn't considered that the gentleman would be bad for the program / fans.
BTW, that guy and his 3 friends got kicked out of the game. They apparently left the stadium for whatever reason, then, when turned away by security trying to re-enter the stadium, decided to just run past them and went to their seats. Security went down to ask them to leave...they did not want to. Then, 3 or 4 cops went down there (about 6 more waiting at the top of the section) and peacefully removed all 4 of them. The knucklehead smashing the can on his head (completed the look with no shirt, and jeans tucked into his silver cowboy boots) had cuts all over his head.

What a bunch of tools.

BTW, that guy and his 3 friends got kicked out of the game. They apparently left the stadium for whatever reason, then, when turned away by security trying to re-enter the stadium, decided to just run past them and went to their seats. Security went down to ask them to leave...they did not want to. Then, 3 or 4 cops went down there (about 6 more waiting at the top of the section) and peacefully removed all 4 of them. The knucklehead smashing the can on his head (completed the look with no shirt, and jeans tucked into his silver cowboy boots) had cuts all over his head.

What a bunch of tools.
Bummer I kinda enjoyed his moment on camera but ... can't behave like that.

I have been attending for 39 years and yes, more of that and I will stop recruiting friends/kids to come and will take my grandkids to the park instead. It was unnecessary to display that. It is bad for the program.
thank you for starting the conversation -- I'll give the athletic department a call at let them know that showing that behavior on the big screen isn't appropriate. I mean we don't live in Buffalo after all. The more I think about it, I wouldn't mind seeing something a la Baker Mayfield -- but the pouring on the beer on himself / smashing it against his head was a bit much.

Seems like a pretty extreme reaction to behavior at a college football game. Maybe BYU would be a better fit for you as a fan?

Atmosphere is someone pouring beer on themself.
Assholery is someone pouring beer on you.

Seems like a pretty extreme reaction to behavior at a college football game. Maybe BYU would be a better fit for you as a fan?
In this short conversation I think I am siding with the gopherjay. The video I posted of Baker Mayfield, he shotguns a beer, cheers and is exuberant. The guy at the game was pouring beer on himself and, most likely, got some on the people around him. I don't think the camera operator could have know what was going to happen, but I don't think his exact behavior is what we should be broadcasting. I am curious if gopherjay would object to people chugging beer on camera.

In this short conversation I think I am siding with the gopherjay. The video I posted of Baker Mayfield, he shotguns a beer, cheers and is exuberant. The guy at the game was pouring beer on himself and, most likely, got some on the people around him. I don't think the camera operator could have know what was going to happen, but I don't think his exact behavior is what we should be broadcasting. I am curious if gopherjay would object to people chugging beer on camera.
I would object, it means the guy would be back in line too fast making me wait longer for my beer.

I guess I don't see the big difference in showing someone chugging a beer and said person smashing the can on their head. Either way, someone is doing something for attention that promotes drinking beer.

I mean, in that case, people should be upset about the Kiss Cam at sporting events because it promotes sexual activity. 🙄

Top Bottom