Game notes

In just three games, Michigan State has forced eight fumbles and has recovered six of those fumbles,
figures which both tie for first in the FBS. The Spartans converted four Akron fumbles into 28 points in the
52-0 shutout over the Zips in Week 2. Jacoby Windmon leads the nation with four forced fumbles, while
teammate Kendell Brooks ranks second in the FBS with three forced fumbles. Last season, Michigan State
led the Big Ten and ranked tied for seventh in the FBS with 15 forced fumbles and ranked tied for 16th in
the FBS with 10 fumble recoveries

Punter: Bryce Baringer is using his extra season of eligibility in 2022 and returns as the starting punter
after a record-breaking season in which he set the MSU single-season record with his 48.4-yard punting
average, a mark that also led the Big Ten and ranked No. 5 in the FBS. Baringer became the fi rst Spartan
punter to lead the Big Ten in punting since the late Mike Sadler in 2012. In addition, Baringer’s 48.4-yard
average was also the second-best average in Big Ten history, second only to Iowa’s Reggie Roby in 1981
(49.8 avg.). Baringer also ranked second in the conference in punts of 50-plus yards (26), including 10 of
60-plus yards, to earn second-team all-league honors.
Although Baringer doesn’t yet meet the minimum to be ranked in the NCAA statistics with just nine punts in
three games, he would be leading the FBS with his 54.0-yard average (nine punts for 486 yards). Four of
his punts have eclipsed 60-plus yards, including a 70-yarder in the season opener vs. Western Michigan.
He has placed four punts inside the 20.
In the season opener, Baringer averaged 50.5 yards per punt on four punts (202 yards) against WMU to be
named one of the Ray Guy Award’s top-eight punters of Week 1. He had a game-long 70-yard punt, marking
the third time he has punted a ball at least 70 yards in a game; his fi rst punt of the game was a 67-yarder
that was downed at the 4-yard line.
Placekicker: The Spartans have a

The Big Ten Network has a game note that they have placed on auto-loop on every second of their commentary that involves the Gophers...

Apparently the Gophers have had a weak schedule so far.

They will remind you of this, and then after they remind you - they will mention it again in case you are not aware.

Is there a term for situations when an asterisk is bigger and more important than the statement it appears next to?

Someone else mentioned this yesterday but PLEASE, hurry up and get here gameday and PLEASE let the Gophers beat the Spartans. I would love to hear ANYTHING else as it refers to the Gophers on the Big Ten Network. It is weird because they have actually been complimentary and I certainly understand the need to temper the excitement given the schedule thus far. It is just that they are going so far over the top with the point that it is more like a drinking game trigger now, than informative coverage.

The Big Ten Network has a game note that they have placed on auto-loop on every second of their commentary that involves the Gophers...

They will remind you of this, and then after they remind you - they will mention it again in case you are not aware.

Is there a term for situations when an asterisk is bigger and more important than the statement it appears next to?

Someone else mentioned this yesterday but PLEASE, hurry up and get here gameday and PLEASE let the Gophers beat the Spartans. I would love to hear ANYTHING else as it refers to the Gophers on the Big Ten Network. It is weird because they have actually been complimentary and I certainly understand the need to temper the excitement given the schedule thus far. It is just that they are going so far over the top with the point that it is more like a drinking game trigger now, than informative coverage.
Yep, the suspense on the season is becoming too much to bear. Are the Gophers for real or just pedestrian again? WE NEED AN ANSWER!

Safe travels to those making the trip.

It is the only narrative they really have to go with right now in regards to the Gophers. We have easily played like the best team in the West but it has been against bad competition. So there is a fair reason for some optimism with a qualifier on it that they have not seen us against a good team yet.

Fortunately that narrative will go away quickly as we get into Big Ten play and get to the opportunity to prove that we are for real or we aren't. My gut says we prove we are for real but will be exciting to see how it all plays out.

For decades now, the "easy non-conference" schedule has been used to justify why a program is not ready for prime time. Every program has these schedules with a couple exceptions here and there like us playing TCU a few years back and playing USC not long ago. No coach including Nick Saban wants to play a tougher non-conference. Its about money and padding your record. Everyone has shown that they can be upset once in awhile and in the end these games do not determine how good or bad a team is.
At some point, we need to win this type of game and I think that we are up to the task. This will shape our season with a win.

Top Bottom