Game notes

I remember that 2007 game. Amazingly frustrating OT loss that proved to be a great sign that it was going to be a bad year. Easily turned out to be the worst season in my season ticket holding life… 1-11

Strange to say, but BG looks to have a much more competent and accomplished passing attack than P5 Colorado. BG has an experienced QB who spreads the ball (12 players have receptions) and has a 70%+ completion rate. Hope the pass defense play we saw at Colorado shows up this Saturday.

BG isn’t much of a rushing team, so far. Don’t think the BG defense—which, like Colorado, has a great LB—can play with Gophers over 60 minutes. If our offense slows down against BG, it will probably be because of self-inflicted wounds or PJ’s desire to milk the clock. Personally, I’d like to see our full set of receivers handle a lot of throws this week, to get them loosened up for Purdue.

If we have to milk the clock against an opponent like this, I'd be very disappointed.
We shouldn’t have to, but I expect he will. PJ appears to favor slow, grinding play when we have a lead in the 2nd half. Likes to suffocate the opponent rather than run away with the game/score. Also likes to use our offense and TOP as a defense surrogate, limiting our actual defense’s time on the field. But if our defense is developing an identity and some on-field leaders, the excessive TOP strategy isn’t as necessary … and might even slow down development of the defense. We did play a few hurry up offensive plays at Colorado, to frustrate defensive substitutions. That might be Stanford’s influence. It seems counter to PJ’s coaching DNA.

Last edited:

We shouldn’t have to, but I expect he will. PJ appears to favor slow, grinding play when we have a lead in the 2nd half. Likes to suffocate the opponent rather than run away with the game/score. Also likes to use our offense and TOP as a defense surrogate, limiting our actual defense’s time on the field. But if our defense is developing an identity and some on-field leaders, the excessive TOP strategy isn’t as necessary … and might even slow down development of the defense. We did play a few hurry up offensive plays at Colorado, to frustrate defensive substitutions. That might be Stanford’s influence. It seems counter to PJ’s coaching DNA.
PJ wants to do what he thinks it takes to win the game and nothing more. Period. If he thinks they can run inside zone 50 times and eek out a one score win, they'll do that. If he think it takes a super exotic gameplan in terms of multiple formations, mixing in hurry up, lots of RPO and play action, etc...that's what they'll do.

My prediction for Saturday: Gophers start with lots of simple inside and outside zone out of base formations. They mix in the occasional simple throw. If BGSU can't stop it, Minnesota scores 45+. If BGSU slows it, Minnesota gets slightly more advanced on O and still scores 30. It'll be enough to win, but will frustrate Gopherhole.

I'm all in favor of milking the clock. Have no proof, but I'm thinking fewer injuries, keeping the defense fresh etc.

according to the BG game notes, Fleck threw an interception against BG in 2003 while playing for Northern Illinois. I'd like to hear that story. Was it some kind of end-around pass or a flea flicker?

Let's see if any internet sleuths can come up with some video.

according to the BG game notes, Fleck threw an interception against BG in 2003 while playing for Northern Illinois. I'd like to hear that story. Was it some kind of end-around pass or a flea flicker?

Let's see if any internet sleuths can come up with some video.
P.J. has a much better arm than I would have assumed!

I don't care if the Gophers win 20-17; get out of the game with a 3-1 record and fingers crossed, no major injuries, get ready for Purdue.
2019 Gopher Football Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Season

I used to be concerned about what a win would portend, or a loss for that matter, and now I (without the pizzazz) agree with the line of logic behind Fleck's of 12-15 one game seasons.

It was a tight spiral though. Took too long for the play to develop otherwise it would've been gold.
Definitely on the quarterback -- if Fleck got the ball a skosh earlier it looks like he could have hit the receiver in stride.

It was a tight spiral though. Took too long for the play to develop otherwise it would've been gold.
You know who needed work on their spiral? Mitch Leidner. Come to think of it...was Leidner a better QB than guys like Streveler and Nelson?

Top Bottom