Game Day Parking

gopherparking

Reaction score
East River Flats, located 3/4 miles away from the stadium will be allowing parking for $5.00. Tailgating allowed! No shuttle, but a short walk and cheap.

Until I see a link to something that validates this claim I'm going to assume this guy is a jokester, pigeon, or becky fan trying to screw with people.

Until I see a link to something that validates this claim I'm going to assume this guy is a jokester, pigeon, or becky fan trying to screw with people.

Agreed. Especially since everything we've seen/heard from the city of Mpls Parks & Recs is that there were not going to allow parking on the East River Flats.

So it looks like the City wants to make some of its own money.

The restrictions are the exact same as the U of M restrictions, and they are open for less time then the U of M lots are.

If you don't have parking through the U, its a good deal, but you still have a bit of a hike to get to TCF. it will be a nice alternative to U of M parking however, and may definitely draw away some people who paid the U this year for next year.

So it looks like the City wants to make some of its own money.

The restrictions are the exact same as the U of M restrictions, and they are open for less time then the U of M lots are.

If you don't have parking through the U, its a good deal, but you still have a bit of a hike to get to TCF. it will be a nice alternative to U of M parking however, and may definitely draw away some people who paid the U this year for next year.

Not that bad of a hike when I compare where I have walked at other schools. And all of the walk is through campus.

Now lets open up Van Cleave!

112 steps up the stairs (trust me, I've counted them numerous times making the trek) to the back side of Coffman Union. Take the escaltor up to the second floor and walk right out to the shuttle on the north side.

Anyone know if the parking will be restricted to the small lot or if they will allow vehicles on part of the grassy area?

Seems like a lot of effort if you aren't going to get more than 70 cars in the lot.

Wish I knew of this before buying the parking pass - tons of green space and great views down there.

Purely hypothetical situation: Let's say I'm walking from the West Bank to the stadium. Would I be within the confines of the law if I placed an unopen beer in each pocket, walked to some of the tailgating lots North and or West of the stadium, opened the beer from my pocket once I hit those lots, consumed said beer or beers before exiting the lots and deposited the empties in an appropriate container?

112 steps up the stairs (trust me, I've counted them numerous times making the trek) to the back side of Coffman Union. Take the escaltor up to the second floor and walk right out to the shuttle on the north side.

Good thing you don't have to go through Coffman to get to TCF :D

The Mpls. Park & Rec Board ran an ad in the sports section of the Strib late last week advertising this.

Nostalgia buffs should love this location. Back in Memorial Stadium days, the River Flats lots, then under U of M jurisdiction, was one of the primary parking locations. School buses carrying high school bands and football teams parked there. During the 1960s cars could park there for $0.15, as opposed to $0.50 and $0.75 for surface lots, ramps, and garages nearer the stadium. See game programs on the Brickhouse website for details.

Anyone know if the parking will be restricted to the small lot or if they will allow vehicles on part of the grassy area?

Seems like a lot of effort if you aren't going to get more than 70 cars in the lot.

Wish I knew of this before buying the parking pass - tons of green space and great views down there.

highly doubt they are going to allow cars/trucks to park anywhere but on concrete/asphalt.

Purely hypothetical situation: Let's say I'm walking from the West Bank to the stadium. Would I be within the confines of the law if I placed an unopen beer in each pocket, walked to some of the tailgating lots North and or West of the stadium, opened the beer from my pocket once I hit those lots, consumed said beer or beers before exiting the lots and deposited the empties in an appropriate container?

Assuming you are 21 or older, and you aren't walking up the sidewalk with said beer open, I don't see any reason why that should not be acceptable....unless you piss off the security guards in the lot by doing something stupid of course...

Like I said...it may be interesting to see how this all goes this year and how many people now parking in the U lots on the West Bank and St. Paul decide to try and do this is future years....

Like I said...it may be interesting to see how this all goes this year and how many people now parking in the U lots on the West Bank and St. Paul decide to try and do this is future years....

it is only 70 spaces which is not anywhere near enough to make a difference. personally, i would much rather pay the yearly fee and tailgate in the U of M offered spaces which are so much closer to the stadium and the action/people.

My biggest concern is that this lot and other private game-day lots will go for lower rates and force the U to drop season parking rates. While this is good for consumers, it is bad for a program/school that is looking to increase revenue (I do not know if parking money goes to Parking only or is shared between Parking and Athletics - either way it goes to the U).

I'd like to see them at $15 or $20 - they won't have a problem filling that lot.

My biggest concern is that this lot and other private game-day lots will go for lower rates and force the U to drop season parking rates. While this is good for consumers, it is bad for a program/school that is looking to increase revenue (I do not know if parking money goes to Parking only or is shared between Parking and Athletics - either way it goes to the U).

I'd like to see them at $15 or $20 - they won't have a problem filling that lot.

FYI they did not sell all the spots this year. They are too expensive and they only allow one spot per 4 tickets. Change that to 2 and they sell out.

Parking will be allowed on the grassy areas and they intend to keep wide lanes open for chairs, bbq's and football throwing. You're right, U of M parking is closer, but more $$ and you'll be sitting on ashpahlt.

Parking will be allowed on the grassy areas and they intend to keep wide lanes open for chairs, bbq's and football throwing. You're right, U of M parking is closer, but more $$ and you'll be sitting on ashpahlt.

frankly, i would rather give my money for parking/tailgating to the U of M and the U of M athletic dept than to the minneapolis park board who imo are an unnecessary duplication of the minneapolis city council and kind of a bunch of antagonistic thorns in the side of minneapolis city govt. also, on a similar note, imo any space on the U of M owned/funded shuttle buses going to the stadium should be reserved for people in U of M sponsored lots and not taken up by those who are not even parking in lots owned by the U of M or paying for their parking through the U of M.

So what the thing does kind of skirt around..... can you drink anything but 3.2 beer?

I am assuming it would have called it out more directly to avoid confusion, but that is the city ordinance.

It has been published before but I do not have the article at the ready but all parking revenue will go to the Parking dept and none to the Athletic dept.

Hey Gopher fans, Cal fan here. I'm driving up to our game from Chicago, and am hoping to have a tailgate the morning before the game. Do you think my best bet is A) The fairgrounds lots
B)The West Campus Lots
C)This new option.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Hey Gopher fans, Cal fan here. I'm driving up to our game from Chicago, and am hoping to have a tailgate the morning before the game. Do you think my best bet is A) The fairgrounds lots
B)The West Campus Lots
C)This new option.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd say this new option. It is much closer to the stadium than the fairgrounds and the west bank campus lots are sold out, you'd have to buy a pass from a season ticket holder.

The West Bank lots are sold out? I thought those were open to the public for day of game parking sales?

The West Bank lots are sold out? I thought those were open to the public for day of game parking sales?

There are a couple of ramps available on the West bank, but no lots for tailgating. If you want to tailgate, you need this new option, or go to st. paul.

There are a couple of ramps available on the West bank, but no lots for tailgating. If you want to tailgate, you need this new option, or go to st. paul.

FYI, there could be other options. But it is hard for any of us to direct you to them until there has been a few games.

University towards St. Paul has lots of businesses that will probably end up selling their lots.

The riverflats will probably be the best option though, it is very pretty down there as well.

Top Bottom