Game Analysis by the Numbers

GVBadger

Reaction score
This poster on the Badger Scout site does this for all the games. Thought the numbers people would find it interesting.

Here is my pre game analysis of Minnesota based upon KenPom (UM and UW)and Jeff Sagarin. The Big Ten only stats come from The BigTenGeek (Link).

What the expert nerds say: Sagarin has UW ranked #26 and UM ranked #36. After adding in the home court advantage, UM is a 3 point favorite.

KenPom has UM winning 61-60. He predicts a 59 possession game and gives Minnesota a 55% chance of winning.

General Thoughts: UM seems like a team of contradictions.

Minnesota plays games with lots of turnovers – on both ends of the court. UW plays games with few turnovers, at both ends of the court. That is a brewing conflict. Something has to give.

Minnesota is a better defensive team than an offensive team, yet they are successful at crashing the boards on offense and do not do a good job of protecting the boards on defense. That makes little sense.

What Minnesota is really good at:

1) Blocking shots. They are #1 in the nation blocking 19.6% of their opponent’s FGA’s. Yikes. This is cause for concern. I am sure Bo will have some strategy to counter this obvious strength.
2) Forcing turnovers. As we painfully remember from the first game, UM is good at forcing TO’s. They get their opponents to give it up on 23.1% of their possessions, which is #44 in the nation. In BigTen play, UM rakes #2 in forcing TO’s. Avoiding TO’s is a strength of UW. So, TO’s will be a strength on strength situation.
3) Offensive rebounding. UM is #2 in the B10 in offensive rebounding getting 36.2% of the many misses.

What Minnesota is really bad at:
1) Shooting. They are dead last in effective FG% at 46.4%. To achieve this dubious distinction, you need to do several things not well including clanking 3pt shots (31.8%, #10 in league) and clanking 2pt shots (45.8% - #10 in league).
2) Defensive Rebounding. Strangely, they are as bad at protecting the glass on their end as they are attacking the glass on the other end. They are #8 in the league allowing opponents to get 33.3% of their misses. If they do not successfully block the shot, they do not get the rebound either. That smells like a team that plays a lot of zone.
3) Turning the ball over. They puke up the ball on 23.3% of their possessions to rank 10th in conference (thank god for Indiana). They are as bad at protecting the ball as their opponents. Strange.

Relative efficiency: UW has a +.07 PPP efficiency margin compared to UM’s +.01 efficiency margin. UW is #3 in efficiency margin and Minnesota #6.

On offense, UM scores .98 PPP, which is #9 in the conference. UW is used to giving up 1.00 PPP, which is the #5 defense. So, it looks like mediocre defense against mediocre to poor offense on that end.
On the other end, UM’s defense holds teams to .97 PPP, which is #4 in B10 play. UW scores 1.07PPP, which is #2 in conference.

Remembering the First Game: I know I do not want to remember the first game, but, here is a summary:
1) UM won at the Kohl Center 78-74 in overtime in a 77 possession game

2) Rebounding was even – UM 33% offensive, UW 36% offensive

3) Both teams had 18 TO’s, many of UW’s came late when UM put the heat on with a full court press

4) UM and UW each made 5 3pters, but UM tried 13 and UW 24, or UW took 11 extra threes and missed them all. UM hit key threes to send the game to OT.

My expectations:

1. Pace. UM tends to play more frenetic games than UW (66 possessions to 60 for the year). I predict a game with 55 possessions. I think there will be plenty of possessions extended with offensive rebounds and the TO count will be lower. Both tend to reduce pace. I will go with 57 possessions.

2. UW will do well on the glass on both ends. UW will hold UM to about 25% offensive rebounds and will get about 33% on the other end.

3. Turnovers are key to the game, as noted above. The team with the positive TO count will win. I expect UW to have a 2-3 turnover advantage.

4. I predict a low scoring game, say, UW 55, UM 52.

Closing Thoughts: On KenPom’s pregame analysis (link), our loss to Minnesota is the only bad loss we have this year. It did not seem too bad (painful, yes, bad no) at the time because Minnesota was ranked. But, UM’s slide has moved the game into the moderately bad loss category. This must be avenged.

Another analysis

I'd break it down this way. The team that scores more points will win, and have a better chance of reaching the NCAA Tournament than the losing team.

Actually my one key is this: generally speaking, I see both teams as frontrunners. I can't see either team coming back from a significant deficit to win. If either teams gets up 10, it's over, the other one won't be able to come all the way back.

I'd break it down this way. The team that scores more points will win, and have a better chance of reaching the NCAA Tournament than the losing team.

Actually my one key is this: generally speaking, I see both teams as frontrunners. I can't see either team coming back from a significant deficit to win. If either teams gets up 10, it's over, the other one won't be able to come all the way back.

Not so much in the first meeting.

ZTA, that's why I specifically used the words "generally speaking." I'm aware of the fact the Gophers came from behind to beat the Badgers. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Closing Thoughts: On KenPom’s pregame analysis (link), our loss to Minnesota is the only bad loss we have this year. It did not seem too bad (painful, yes, bad no) at the time because Minnesota was ranked. But, UM’s slide has moved the game into the moderately bad loss category. This must be avenged.

Does that make our win a moderately bad one? Cmon now GV.

I didn't write it, just posted it.

I have enjoyed the analysis for our games, thought some people might find how the numbers look.

Numbers tell me the game is a toss up.

ZTA, that's why I specifically used the words "generally speaking." I'm aware of the fact the Gophers came from behind to beat the Badgers. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Who is zta?

We could all use "generally speaking" to have an out.

I was just jabbing at your little inserts there... And yeah, thanks for the big rundown, lots of good info there.

I will say if the Gophers start well, not even necessarily with a big lead, I believe there is a good chance of a 12-14 point win as emotions, the crowd, defense, and maybe just a made 3pter or two propels a double digit victory. However, I am expecting an awesome and tight battle.

Without a doubt, TO's will be the key

Rather than just gross TO's, I'd like to know if the Gophers turn it over much less at home than on the road, and vice versa for the Badgers.

I still find it amusing the notion many Badger fans have that the Gopher loss is a "bad loss". Are we still back in the Monson days or what? I think this is a pretty distorted view of reality. I'm sure the nature of the loss has more to do with this perception than anything else, not to mention recent history against the Gophers making them think wins are a given perhaps?

The Badgers lost to Iowa, a team with 4 BT wins this year. This loss is more of a "bad loss" than losing to a team that's been in the top 40 RPI all season, is within a game of them in the conference standings, was ranked at the time they played last, and will likely finish the season with at least a .500 BT record and 22 or more wins?

Funny thing is, if you turn that around, I don't know that the committee will exactly consider the Gophers' win against the Badgers as a "key victory" when Selection Sunday rolls around. And yet, for the Badgers, the Minny loss is a "bad loss"....

This will be a battle, no doubt about it. It'll be interesting to see if the refs let them play or if they call it close. I would guess this late in the BT slate they will let them play a little but who knows.

If the Gophers value the ball (less than 14 TO's too much to ask?), I think they'll have a pretty good chance at pulling this one out. Outside of that, I have no prediction...

Rather than just gross TO's, I'd like to know if the Gophers turn it over much less at home than on the road, and vice versa for the Badgers.

I still find it amusing the notion many Badger fans have that the Gopher loss is a "bad loss". Are we still back in the Monson days or what? I think this is a pretty distorted view of reality. I'm sure the nature of the loss has more to do with this perception than anything else, not to mention recent history against the Gophers making them think wins are a given perhaps?

I think it has to do with the fact that as fans, we just don't expect to lose at home. That, the fact that we had not lost to the Gophers ever at the Kohl Center, the fact that we had a late lead in the game and were 3-0 in the Big Ten probably leads to that perception.

The loss was shocking to me but I certainly do not consider it a bad loss like I do the Iowa or even the Northwestern game.

As I have said 1000 times, even if people don't like to read, the Gophers deserve a lot of credit for executing down the stretch and pulling that game out.

Tomorrow should be a lot of fun. If I knew we were going to win, I would root for a tie game with a minute to go. The place would be rocking.

The Badgers lost to Iowa, a team with 4 BT wins this year. This loss is more of a "bad loss" than losing to a team that's been in the top 40 RPI all season, is within a game of them in the conference standings, was ranked at the time they played last, and will likely finish the season with at least a .500 BT record and 22 or more wins?

Funny thing is, if you turn that around, I don't know that the committee will exactly consider the Gophers' win against the Badgers as a "key victory" when Selection Sunday rolls around. And yet, for the Badgers, the Minny loss is a "bad loss"....

Ask and you shall receive...

Wisconsin Away (neutral not included) Games: 8.6 TOs per game... or 14.7%
Wisconsin Big 10 Away Games: 8 TOs per game.... or 13.8%

Minnesota Home Games: 13.3 TOs per game... or 19.7%
Minnesota Big 10 Home Games: 13.4 TOs per game... or 20.7%

Using Big 10 numbers only (common opponents won't skew do to non-conf scheduling), Minnesota is better at taking care of the ball at home than on the road, as it's about 2.5 percentage points better than all games combined. That said, Wisconsin interestingly enough takes better care of the ball on the road than they do at home, as their rate is also about 2.5 points better. If the game was to be played at a pace that is no advantage to either team (halfway between their average tempos), Minnesota would have 13 TOs and Wisconsin would have 9.

I think the reason he said it was a bad loss is because it was in bold on KenPom's site (meaning a quality win or bad loss for tournament chances). For a team like Wisconsin or Minnesota, having a loss at home to another near or on the bubble team isn't good for them, neither is the @Iowa loss. Luckily, Wisconsin has wins over OSU, @VT, Illinois, and two against Michigan and PSU to compensate. It wasn't a slight against Minnesota. And unlike you said, Minnesota's 3 best wins to this point in the eyes of the committee are Louisville, Illinois, and @Wisconsin.

Agreed. Wisconsin is our best road win. It would still be a good win at home but being a road game gives it more merit.

Top Bottom