Game 8: Gophers Host Drake (12-2-23)

Did they really want Janay taking the shot at the end of OT, or do you think she was supposed to get the ball to Braun?
I keep saying Plitzuweit wants Sanders to drive. This is exhibit one-although it surprised even me

One thing that is becoming a little clearer is the rotation from the bench. They went 9 today but AJ only played 2 minutes. I believe they will only go 8 in close games. I’m actually glad they signed a couple of guards for next season. I see the Wisconsin kid taking over Saunders minutes.

We had an experienced crew reffing the game and Plitzuweit spent a lot of time workiing them

We had an experienced crew reffing the game and Plitzuweit spent a lot of time workiing them
Yes, she was really working them. I saw a lot of ladies falling down where no calls were made. I need to watch the replay to get a better feel for the calls.

Does it seem to anybody that Janay is selling her being fouled by falling down. Just asking. I am truly not for sure but she seems to go down a lot?

I thought the refs were mostly good and fair. The only call I really didn't like was the drive where Sanders was under-cut on drive to basket, raked across the arm and fell hard and landed on her head. That to me was a foul. It was a fun game to be at. Drake can hit shots. Gophers fought pretty hard to win this game. Especially down 5 to tie it up. Gophers have a lot of kids that like to compete and contest on defense. Just wish a few more fans would come out, especially the students these Gophers play hard and fans of basketball would enjoy the games. Don't the U students get free tickets?

Hart's assist to Heyer in the first quarter had Plitzuweit low fiving the length of the bench in celebration. Cool to see a play make it from practice to the game. Drake didn't allow it again

MAN ALIVE Mara's state line is nuts

50 Minutes

33 points
4 rebounds
4 assists
2 steals
3 blocks

ZEEERO turnovers..
Player of the week stats. Heck, national player of the week stats. After being cold early, she even got her shooting percentage up into good territory..

Yes, she was really working them. I saw a lot of ladies falling down where no calls were made. I need to watch the replay to get a better feel for the calls.

I saw two blatant fall downs by Drake. One comical away from the play, her flop reflex kicked in at an odd time.

Nice win. 2nd straight over tournament teams from last year. Held UCONN to low output of season.

Braun is cold blooded! No doubt that she can carry the team!
G$$ 45 minutes for a freshman in a contested game and she was dynamic.

My star for the game was Heyer. 16 points 10 rebounds(double double) 2 assists 2 steals in 36 minutes. Her defense is almost flawless.

Awesome team win! Very fun to watch.

My star for the game was Heyer. 16 points 10 rebounds(double double) 2 assists 2 steals in 36 minutes. Her defense is almost flawless.

This!

Game in, game out, Heyer is their most consistent player. You hardly notice her, and yet by the end of the game, more often than not, she has a double double.

Sophie got some huge baskets at critical times. She got some deflections resulting in the Gophers ball and some big rebounds. Drake didn't do much scoring in the post. She was important!

Janay was huge. I recently said I expected more from her...she read it and showed she heard me with her play. :)

Braun is really good!
Holloway flashed a lot of positives...lots of deflections resulting in our possession.
Grace is very steady with the ability to score. Heyer just keeps doing good things over and over. Battle is improving game by game. Czinano played steady as well.

Our defense and rebounding is really good. Very sound in our fundamentals. But, there is also still room for dramatic improvement which will happen. So much better now than the recent past.

No reason to believe we won't continue to get better. There are some athletic, quick teams that are probably going to present problems for us or somebody with big girl posts. But, if we can beat Drake...we can beat Iowa at our house with just a few improvements on the things we already do well and get a couple breaks with just decent shooting. :)

I'm sure plenty of you look at the team stats and notice the quarter scoring they have for us and our opponents.

1st quarter : +68
2nd quarter : +59
3rd quarter : -3
4th quarter : +70
OT : +6

An Exciting game! Glad we were able to attend!

Top Bottom