Game 4: Gophers Host UConn (11-19-23)

Think Braun needs to sit, 0-10 in the first quarter is atrocious and she just kept shooting.

Last edited:

If Braun could just get going. Good that Heyer is keeping the Gophers in the game. Some good passes to Hart inside only to be blocked.

Uconn running actual plays gophers just dribbling

They are really forcing us out away from the basket. Fortunately we have played some decent defense and rebounded well. Admittedly they have missed some bunnies but overall I'll take it.

Dawn has been able to slow this game down. We just need to hit our open shots.

Having to fight against their defense has us looking a little worn out now

Gophers defense is way, way better this season. This team would be down 40+ with last season's defense (if you would call it defense). UConn locking up Braun and making her take poor shots and she keeps taking them.

Just like the football game, kept it close at half only to get blown out later.

Just like the football game, kept it close at half only to get blown out later.
This is the #8 team in the country they're playing. Their entire team is made up of ranked recruits. There's no shame in the way they played today. The defense impressed me, Coach Dawn has this team coming along.

Ignoring shooting percentage Braun outplayed Paige 12/8/5 vs 12/8/4

In the end they were too athletic and caused our offense to struggle to get any quality shots.

UCONN struggled offensively as well with 9 turnovers in first half and their wirst output if the season.

UCONN just beat Maryland by 32 the other night and had scored over 80 in first three games.

Defense looks much better. They had good looks in the first half just couldn’t hit. They looked a little gassed in the second half, would’ve like to seen Halloway in the second half, seems always to bring some energy. Not an embarrassment loss as they competed for most of the game against a probable final four team.

The only thing wish we would see Gophers do is have some slashers /cutters to the basket when passing inside to Sophie. I think she can pass and if we had someone slashing inside we can see the Gophers get some easier scoring. Holloway and Maggie and Johnson all have the ability to do that, now it is teaching them to go inside and finish. To much standing around waiting for Braun to shoot. Braun if she is having an off shooting night needs to drive to the basket more to. UCONN has great perimeter defense and double our off ball shooters a lot. They turned it on and tired Gophers out. Bench was a little to short tonight and I think the coach realized it. Good effort on D by the Gophers, but they have to hit more shots.

A defensive lapse (Johnson) and an offensive lapse (Sanders) got them buried on a shortened bench.

The defensive was intense in a positive way while the offense was intense in the negative.

HATS OF TO THEEEEEEE

man this team NEVER quit tonight..

the defense in the 1st half and the 4th quarter were so good.. yes the 3rd quarter happened but man..

a lot of our missed 3's looked good and like they were going in and rimmed out or rolled around and out.. HUSTLE plays by everyone tonight..

we HUNG with UConn who just throttled the day lights out of Maryland on Thursday night..

Braun was playing with a little extra FIRE tonight especially rebounding and on the defensive end..

felt bad for her and Grace who's 3's just wouldn't drop..

future is bright folks.

Hey, the defense was a trillion times improved. This is game 4. Coach P will get our offense figured out. Very little passing, lots of standing on offense ...surely wasn't the plan.
The people upset Braun kept shooting have it backwards. She is our scorer, our offensive leader...if she stops we are dead.
Need the guys practice team to turn up the intensity on defense to learn how to combat tough defense.
We rebounded very well. We played much improved defense.
I think we can fix everything but the post play...that is going to take the most time on both ends.
But, Sophie has not played in a long time so maybe she hits another gear?
A lot to like...we are/were not going to be a Final Four team four games into Coach P's tenure.

Braun should have been shooting more, passed up on a few clean looks in second half

Braun should have been shooting more, passed up on a few clean looks in second half
Coming out of a second half timeout the gophers ran a motion popping Braun open for a three; but she turned it down. Plitzuweit pantomimed a jump shot

Plitzuweit is very animated on the bench. I need a translation chart. One time, she seemed to be signaling some kind "poof" explosion play. I never figured it out.

Coming out of a second half timeout the gophers ran a motion popping Braun open for a three; but she turned it down. Plitzuweit pantomimed a jump shot

Plitzuweit is very animated on the bench. I need a translation chart. One time, she seemed to be signaling some kind "poof" explosion play. I never figured it out.
she reminds me of Reeve over there on the sidelines..

Probably one of the better defenses that they'll see all year. I hope they learn something from this loss.

Top Bottom