GAME #16: Gophers (12-3, 1-1) @ Penn State (9-6, 0-2) [BTN, 1/8, 6:00PM]

What comes first in turning the program around if you are Penn State. Getting people to show up and support a below average team and make the pitch to recruits? Or somehow recruiting way over what the fans deserve and then the fans start to attend when they start to win?

The chicken.

Gophers will win 1 (maybe 2) of the 4. Best chances are Saturday (@ MSU) and at home vs. (undefeated?) Wisconsin. Pretty decent chance Sparty will be flat after big win over OSU. Let's face it, the Gophers aren't Ohio State, and perhaps the Spartans will play accordingly (like they did when they blew the 17-point 2nd half lead). Of course, Matta's adjustments & OSU's stout defense had a lot to do with that.

If we can sneak a win or two out of the next four, we should be in pretty descent shape. After this tough stretch, we play

@NEB
NW
@PUR
IND
@WIS
@NW

I would think we'd have a good shot of going 4-2 (or better) in that stretch. But we'll have to see I guess.

If we can sneak a win or two out of the next four, we should be in pretty descent shape. After this tough stretch, we play

@NEB
NW
@PUR
IND
@WIS
@NW

I would think we'd have a good shot of going 4-2 (or better) in that stretch. But we'll have to see I guess.

That would take at least two road victories.

Oto and King are the weak links, no question. What you see if what you get.

Austin should be a strong point of this squad and thus far in his final year, he hasn't filled the bill. With all his experience, he should be more productive. Maybe its coming.

Oto and King are the weak links, no question. What you see if what you get.

What are ya gonna do make a trade? At least King was able to play this year or we really would have been screwed.

Austin should be a strong point of this squad and thus far in his final year, he hasn't filled the bill. With all his experience, he should be more productive. Maybe its coming.

You could argue that he was the MVP of the team during the non-conference portion of the schedule. He had a clunker against Michigan and responded well the next game against Purdue. Although his shot wasn't falling vs Penn State, I thought he played well defensivly, and he also got that key steal late in the game. I'm not worried about Austin.

That would take at least two road victories.

There's no reason we should lose to Northwestern this year, even if it is on the road. That means winning one of two at Nebraska and Purdue. It's definitely not even close to a certainty, but I do think there is a good chance.

There's no reason we should lose to Northwestern this year, even if it is on the road. That means winning one of two at Nebraska and Purdue. It's definitely not even close to a certainty, but I do think there is a good chance.

Hope you're right. Need to play better than at PSU.

What can be said about DeAndre Mathieu? He has to be the best Spring recruit for the Gophers since...? (Was Humphries technically a Spring recruit?) When was the last time a Gopher guard made a play in crunch time like Mathieu picking that kids pocket and going in for a layup to put the Gophers up 3? That was the play of the game and the type of clutch play that we've seen so little of over the last X number of years. How about the smallest guys on the court getting up and tipping in that Austin Hollins missed layup? Just great play from the kid. In the second half, his determination to keep getting in the lane and trying to make plays was the main reason why a 3-8 point PSU margin didn't grown to double digits. I am amazed by the energy with which Mathieu can play considering he picks up full court frequently on defense and is the main play maker on offense.

I believe most of the latest crunch time plays were made at PSU. Al Nolen had a big steal and layup to seal a late comeback victory in Tubby's first season. Didn't Westbrook hit a game-winner around that time too? And Westbrook with the daggers at Wisconsin in Tubby's second year. Ahhh, the days back when Tubby actually still had energy and coached like he cared...

Mathieu's play against there 3rd best guard was a great one. I will take the win, but the win didn't give me any confidence in their ability to win on the road. Newbill was horrible, and the other guard fouled out and we may not have won. But after someone else posted how we only won 1 road game last year, we cannot get worse than that!

Top Bottom