Game 13: Gophers Host Eastern Illinois (12-22-22)

It goes into Rose and….wish she could pass out it once in a while. Hopefully Braun finds her touch second half.
I agree. Rose needs to pass it instead of shooting every time! I counted Rose making one pass all game. And that was late when she received the ball in the corner, not the lane. She needs to understand that when double teamed in the post it means someone is open on the perimeter. Catching a pass out from the post leads to a higher shooting percentage. Oberg does a nice job of passing to cutters, who seem to move more readily when she gets the ball in the post. I only hope that Rose begins to understand the value of an “in and out” game. She can really increase the quality of her game and her value to the team.

OK, so there's been talk about Borowicz having bad judgement when going in for a bucket and it leads to a turnover. Also not passing it enough. I do know she's been better at that the last couple game.

Here in this play Borowicz is going to beat the defender. Heyer runs up and picks her defender just as Borowicz makes the move.

1671762308179.png

1671762408088.png

It works.

But then I can't tell exactly why it fails and I'm not that smart at basketball.

1671762508925.png

Basically by the time she gets to shooting the other tall defender comes over and blocks her shot. maybe she was late to shoot or maybe the other team made the play. It leads to a turnover.

1671762573395.png

Anyway... I think Borowicz cutting inside is an asset to the team. That's a way for the team to score points. I don't know enough to know how and when you decide to bail on your move or what she could have gone better at the end of this play.

-----

Now in this next one Borowicz is going to run around the defender but then passes to Micheaux who picks up a foul.

1671763622803.png

1671763672566.png
1671763735659.png

Anyway. Borowicz is a freshmen and her game is going to get better and better. Her judgement will get better and better. She also is quick and as asset to the team making moves inside like that. I don't know enough to know more than that.

This is a cool veteran play by Mi'Cole Cayton.

She runs around around the defender. Other defenders slide over to cover her.

1671764384843.png

So after they are surrounding her she passes without looking to Borowicz who is wide open and hits a 3.

1671764495611.png

1671764521559.png

Cayton has an amazing no-look pass. I hope some of that rubs off on the younger players.

Attachments

• 1671764301266.png
    1671764301266.png
    250.3 KB · Views: 0

Rose needs to figure it out sooner rather than later. She is a sophomore, not a freshman. Figuring it out by her senior year is too late. This distinction of recognizing when to pass to open teammates isn't rocket science and it could mean 4-8 points difference per game. This is also something the post coach should notice immediately and spend time specifically working on.

There were also too many hero ball basket attempts by Rose, Katie, Mara, Battle, Cayton and Heyer. Some did go in but others didn't or resulted in turnovers. As noted earlier, Rose needs to figure out how to pass it out to a shooter once in awhile. At least 2 times she was bound and determined to try to back down and score a basket with 2 big defenders and she ended up turning it over. She had another 2 turnovers from traveling. I really thought she would have cleaned up that traveling by now. She still must average at least one of those each game.
I agree that Rose needs to kick the ball out more. Although she still travels, she has improved that aspect from last year. Rose does give the Gophers a physical presence in the paint that they have been missing for a few years. She does alter a lot of shots, gets some rebounds, and a few blocks. She has cut back on fouls partly because Oberg, who is improving, can give her some rest. Rose has improved significantly; however, she will probably struggle in the conference where there are some bigger and stronger posts.

Y’all are preaching what I’ve been thinking. Rose needs to pass the ball. She is playing with very talented guards. This is why teams are doubling her, because the ball is not coming out of the post. Her actual post moves are not what is making the doubles happen. I like Rose, although she is very dramatic when she gets fouled, but I like her spunk. I want her to be better, as the last 3 years was enough selfish ball for me. I want to see better team basketball.

-Gophers held Eastern Illinois to 48 points.
-They slightly outrebounded the other team.
-Gophers made 11 steals to 9 for the other team.
-Minnesota incurred a reasonable 16 turnovers while the other team had 23.
-Ball movement looks improved compared to earlier this season. They've moved their game forward.
-11 assists this game which could be higher.
-The cold shooting hurt the team this game but other fundamentals were solid.

1671801535936.png

1671801573180.png

Missed the first quarter, but watched the rest of the game. Great example of why you need to be consistently solid on defense. There are those days when the shots don't drop and you need to be able to stay close.

3rd quarter was pretty brutal offensively. Good shots weren't dropping, 5-6 ill-advised, frustration-type shots that young players will sometimes resort to in an effort to make something happen. Yet, other than a few break-downs, the defense was pretty good. In fact, the defense was actually better in the 4th quarter and, as often happens, defense created some easy shots early. Once the Gophers saw some easy shots drop, they settled down and stopped with the bad shots, and pulled away.

Side note: The more I watch Heyer, the more underrated I think she is. Maybe not as dynamic as some of her teammates and not as much hype, but she has a very mature and fundamentally solid game on both sides of the ball. She is one of those unnoticed difference-makers.

I agree that Rose needs to kick the ball out more. Although she still travels, she has improved that aspect from last year. Rose does give the Gophers a physical presence in the paint that they have been missing for a few years. She does alter a lot of shots, gets some rebounds, and a few blocks. She has cut back on fouls partly because Oberg, who is improving, can give her some rest. Rose has improved significantly; however, she will probably struggle in the conference where there are some bigger and stronger posts.
"The change in the game's momentum, frankly, was rather stunning...."

They are players who Dont crumble when the game is on the line. I think we can call them winners! They will struggle at times this year, but they will battle! A lot potential down the line.

Up next, the Gophers face a moving fan blade and a boiling pot of hot water -- AKA Maryland offense and defense.

Welcome to the Big Ten, young Gophers.

View attachment 22674

Brenda Frese we hardly knew ye. 1 year and done at MN when she left for the talent laden east coast shores and where her reputation continues to grow.

I doubt there are stronger posts in the conference, she is very strong, according to the gals on one of the gold blooded podcasts she can bench ~160lbs and just looking at her she is well muscled. But I do agree the bigger posts and more polished are ones she will struggle against.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Rose and she has improved a lot this year I am a bit surprised at some of the things I thought would be easier to correct don't seem as improved. As I previously pointed out in another post her turnover rate has dropped ~30% from last year on a per minute basis and she is scoring more and rebounding more. I would say the only place it doesn't feeel like she has improved is with assists (I could be wrong on this). Pulls up gopher sports page.... clicks on Rose's career stats... grabs towel and wipes the egg off his face. Rose has improved on assists but there is a long ways to go she averaged 0.013 assist/minute last year and so far averages 0.016 assist/minute this year which translates to 0.2 and 0.4 assist/game respectively.

I agree, Oberg is improving and I think the main reason is she has had more confidence to shoot. Which she should she has a very nice shot with good footwork. I would still like to see her shoot more. She lacks the foot speed and athleticism that Rose has.

Top Bottom