Game 10: Gophers Host North Carolina (12-1-21)

I do think they needed this win if they wanted a shot at NCAA. I know they have the big ten season, but I just don’t think I see it this year. However I would LOVE to be wrong.
The Syracuse win over Ohio State will help boost our RPI or whatever it’s called now.

Powell took that shot way too early. UNC gets a half court heave :(
How many times is Powell going to shoot to early and give the other team an opportunity to score at the other end?? Coaches need to fix that. That end of the 3rd quarter cost us the momentum heading into the 4th, and we came out flat in the 4th.
I bet at the end of quarters, Powell takes 19 out of every 20 shots at the end of a quarter, we need to move the ball more.. it looks like the NBA.

How many times is Powell going to shoot to early and give the other team an opportunity to score at the other end?? Coaches need to fix that. That end of the 3rd quarter cost us the momentum heading into the 4th, and we came out flat in the 4th.
I bet at the end of quarters, Powell takes 19 out of every 20 shots at the end of a quarter, we need to move the ball more.. it looks like the NBA.
How often do you think a half court shot is made? I think most , if not all, teams will take that chance.

I’m more concerned with their on the ball defense, way to many dribble drive layups given up. Most of the points in the paint started with poor on the ball defense and then no boxing out on missed shots. Clean that up and they will be a good team.

This was a really entertaining game to be at. GOPHERS came up short but they played really hard with great effort. Powell is a good player, wish she would get more foul calls, she gets hacked a lot when driving but doesn't seem to get the calls. She needs to not get down on herself, Powell is too good a player to sulk.. That kid just needs to hang in there,, things will start to break her way if she has a little more patience. I believe Powell can thrive, she just needs to keep at it.. Scalia had an off night shooting but rebounded well. ROSE Micheaux is a player, and Winters is a hustler on defense and the dribble drive. That damn half court shot killed the Gophs. Gophers got to do much better job boxing out and rebounding the long boards. Need to anticipate the players knife in from the back, got to get better at being aggressive and reading the ball off the rim. Better on the ball defense, just have to be more aggressive like they were when they made the runs to come back. There is plenty of talent and the team is starting to gel. This is by far one of the teams with more depth and talent, they just need to be ruthless and have more aggression, a little to passive rebounding the ball. Rebounding is attitude and want to, and timing. Need to work on being less passive on defensive rebounding. When shots don't fall banging on the boards can carry you through. I like this team, they will continue to be fun to watch. Sisoko needs to drive the lane more, she is too gifted an athlete not to. I want Sisoko driving the goal early and often, that and follow your shot kid. The 5, #35 she is going to have to try a few bank shots to keep them honest, they need to get her some back door cuts.
Agree on your comment regarding rebounding! I really enjoyed watching Rose play last night. I hope it's the start of something big.

There were really nice things last night. I do wonder why Powell didn’t start? The team is improving defensively which is good, but definitely gave up too many offensive boards. I love that the 4 recruits were there, but don’t want them to get discouraged. However I believe the team will look much different next year. I do think they needed this win if they wanted a shot at NCAA. I know they have the big ten season, but I just don’t think I see it this year. However I would LOVE to be wrong.
I agree with the thought that an NCAA tourney berth might now be optimistic for this team based on non-conference performance. The Gophers will probably have to finish in the top half of the BIG and with better than a .500 record to have a shot at that. And there are some BIG teams that might be better than most people thought they would be, including Purdue and Nebraska. It's going to be difficult; I'm thinking the Nebraska game to open the conference season will be a critical game for this team's NCAA chances. Last night's Syracuse win over Ohio State leaves me wondering if OSU will be weaker than expected. Time will tell.

Top Bottom