Game 10: Gophers Host North Carolina (12-1-21)

Ughhh terrible ending to great quarter. Rose is good. Need her to keep progressing, she is the best post Minnesota has had in a while.

I wish was seeing some improvements on boxing out and rebounding.

Good. Lord. Back to playing stupidly now that they have (had?) a chance. Typical.

TO’s to start the quarter, momentum killer. Does Scalia ever run back on defense?

Geez, spend the third quarter catching up and then play crap defense to start the 4thand they go on a 10-0 run to go back up 10.

Two words: poor choices.

A smarter, more disciplined team would have beaten this UNC team tonight. Sadly, that has never been a Whalen-coached team.

A smarter, more disciplined team would have beaten this UNC team tonight. Sadly, that has never been a Whalen-coached team.
I'm assuming you mean basketball IQ smarter as they routinely have a high accumulative team GPA. Based on your posts I do wonder why you watch this team other than to be negative and point out how Whalen is not a good coach ?

I'm assuming you mean basketball IQ smarter as they routinely have a high accumulative team GPA. Based on your posts I do wonder why you watch this team other than to be negative and point out how Whalen is not a good coach ?
MRJ does this on the VB thread too.

She hasn't been. The numbers back it up. And yes, I mean basketball IQ. It's great that they're fantastic students, but the decision making/shot selection at times is truly baffling.

You mean the volleyball program that has been consistently a top ten program for the last decade?
I mean the team that has had multiple top level recruiting classes (including the No. 1 class two years ago), yet completely mentally checks out for long stretches during matches regularly.

But if you want to take this discussion further, we can examine the individual matches and discuss it more on the volleyball thread if you'd like.

I'm not going to clutter up the bball board with it any longer.

Micheaux a great coming out game, need to build the offense around her. Our starters too often disappear for large parts of the game. This UNC team was beatable but unforced TO’s plagued them yet again. One other positive 17 assists probably Micheaux 8/10 shooting.

Micheaux a great coming out game, need to build the offense around her. Our starters too often disappear for large parts of the game. This UNC team was beatable but unforced TO’s plagued them yet again. One other positive 17 assists probably Micheaux 8/10 shooting.
Her leg got rolled up on at the end of the game, hopefully thats not anything to worry about.

Agree. Like her game a lot. Physical, takes contact, finishes at the rim. Would like to see more touches in the post.

One other interesting stat, UNC starters out score Gopher starters 71-33, I think that’s amazing.

Reactions: MRJ

Even though they lost, I actually thought this was one of the better games this season. It was nice to see some sort of post play. Scalia and Powell missed a lot of shots, but good to see Hubbard and Winters pick up the slack. Smith is not a scorer. I guess she is in there ball handling.

The most entertaining lineup we had was Micheaux, Powell, Hubbard, Winters and Scalia. But 26% on mostly open, un-hurried threes ain't gonna cut it.

UNC had only 6 score points, and all 6 were double digits. We had 6 score as well, 4 in double digits, unfortunately neither included Scalia or Powell. Too many turnovers and too many missed/forced shots.

How many players did UNC play? They didnt use the bench much.
They used 7 according to the box score. In the first half, we were running them in three at a time. Also In the first half, some players, especially LBK, were pretty tired when they came out.

Who the heck is Micheaux and why isn’t she starting?

This was a really entertaining game to be at. GOPHERS came up short but they played really hard with great effort. Powell is a good player, wish she would get more foul calls, she gets hacked a lot when driving but doesn't seem to get the calls. She needs to not get down on herself, Powell is too good a player to sulk.. That kid just needs to hang in there,, things will start to break her way if she has a little more patience. I believe Powell can thrive, she just needs to keep at it.. Scalia had an off night shooting but rebounded well. ROSE Micheaux is a player, and Winters is a hustler on defense and the dribble drive. That damn half court shot killed the Gophs. Gophers got to do much better job boxing out and rebounding the long boards. Need to anticipate the players knife in from the back, got to get better at being aggressive and reading the ball off the rim. Better on the ball defense, just have to be more aggressive like they were when they made the runs to come back. There is plenty of talent and the team is starting to gel. This is by far one of the teams with more depth and talent, they just need to be ruthless and have more aggression, a little to passive rebounding the ball. Rebounding is attitude and want to, and timing. Need to work on being less passive on defensive rebounding. When shots don't fall banging on the boards can carry you through. I like this team, they will continue to be fun to watch. Sisoko needs to drive the lane more, she is too gifted an athlete not to. I want Sisoko driving the goal early and often, that and follow your shot kid. The 5, #35 she is going to have to try a few bank shots to keep them honest, they need to get her some back door cuts.

Last edited:

There were really nice things last night. I do wonder why Powell didn’t start? The team is improving defensively which is good, but definitely gave up too many offensive boards. I love that the 4 recruits were there, but don’t want them to get discouraged. However I believe the team will look much different next year. I do think they needed this win if they wanted a shot at NCAA. I know they have the big ten season, but I just don’t think I see it this year. However I would LOVE to be wrong.

To many points given up inside the paint. We need a Janelle M. type player to own that area. Good effort and scoring at certain parts of the game. Keep getting better. Go Gophers

Disappointing loss to a team that appeared to be beatable. That being said, it looks like we've found a post. Really like the fact that Rose demands the ball, seals off defenders in the post, and looks to score if she is open. She reminds me a bit of Iowa's Czinano in some ways. Plenty of things to work on for this team: As many have mentioned rebounding/boxing out should be a focus. And we need more consistency from Kadi, Scalia, and Powell. Kadi has way too many turnovers for a player at her position and she has a tendency to take herself out of games with foul trouble. Powell and Scalia both up and down with their performances. I like what Winters brings to the lineup. And nice to see Gadiva start shooting well again.

Top Bottom