Game 1: Gophers Host Eastern Illinois (12/2/20)

Really like what I'm seeing from Sissoko. Good player on both ends of the floor, could be a all BIG player.

Looks like they need to calm some nerves, need Hubbard and Powell to start hitting. Like Sconiers and Sissoko too bad each had offense fouls.

Powell is taking some tough shots, need to get in the paint and kick it out.

The players who are not in action are out due to illness or injury. We're not going to be getting more details than that. Some could still be COVID related and it would be a HIPAA violation to say anything more. Just like you are not hearing names about what players and staff on the football team are out.

We'll get everyone back when they are healthy. I'd expect players in and out all season with these issues if we are lucky enough to get a full season in for basketball.

Powell is taking some tough shots, need to get in the paint and kick it out.
Yep, although not having Scalia to kick to is a big disadvantage. Need someone who can hit the three to help the spacing.

Need some better play out of Hubbard. You would hope the most veteran player on the team can step up in a situation like this.

Looks like we'll need to really beat them down low. Like what I've seen from Sconiers in that department so far.

Need some better play out of Hubbard. You would hope the most veteran player on the team can step up in a situation like this.

Looks like we'll need to really beat them down low. Like what I've seen from Sconiers in that department so far.
Just need to move the ball more on offense, Eastern Illinois is really packing the paint defensively.

1/2 stats that stand out are 2-9 from 3 and 11 TO's- 4 by Powell. Hope their conditioning is good enough to play hard in the 2nd half.

Defense really stepped up here in the 2nd half but man Sissoko is talented.

Now thats more like it. Got a 7 point lead quickly after they tied the game up at 38.

I was trying to cast the game to my tv from my phone. It wouldn't work. Then I got a message that the app won't let me do that. Anyone else have that problem? Watching on a iPhone isn't that easy compared to a 50 inch screen.

I was trying to cast the game to my tv from my phone. It wouldn't work. Then I got a message that the app won't let me do that. Anyone else have that problem? Watching on a iPhone isn't that easy compared to a 50 inch screen.
if you have a smart tv you should be able to download the btn+ app, thats what i do.

Not pretty but 1-0. Need to cut down the turnovers and get everyone back healthy. Nice job whalen and co.

I've wasted too much time trying to stream the BTN plus. So annoying as I get BTN with my Xfinity package. Don't want to buy the plus package and a Roku device for a few basketball games.

Not too surprising this was an ugly one, alot to cleanup but nice seeing Sissoko have a big game and good to see Cumming make a couple big plays at the end.

Not pretty but 1-0. Need to cut down the turnovers and get everyone back healthy. Nice job whalen and co.
[/QUOTE
They finished with 18 TO's but out rebounded them 42-28. Also, we had 17 fast break points to their 5.

I've wasted too much time trying to stream the BTN plus. So annoying as I get BTN with my Xfinity package. Don't want to buy the plus package and a Roku device for a few basketball games.

Didn’t you already buy it, or did you find out they expect you to pay for it?

Good to see everyone contribute, hopefully turnovers wii reduce when players start coming back and get used to playing with each. Was good t see so much size out there although I think they miss Scalia’s three point threat. Not much time to prepare for conference opener against MSU. I do believe are waiting to hear on Janai Crooms eligibility too. Maybe Mershon and Crooms will be eligible by then.

Didn’t you already buy it, or did you find out they expect you to pay for it?
Already have BTN but have to subscribe and pay extra for BTN plus. Then need a roku or other streaming service to watch it on my big screen. Lol, this is really just an OK boomer post.

The stars have aligned with my devices to make BTN+ easy this year (Last update gave me a link to mirror).
Really enjoyed watching the game today, and hope that the win while down so many players gives them a boost.

Post Game Quotes:

Eastern Illinois at Minnesota
Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota Head Coach
Opening Statement...
“Obviously, a win for us. In the first half, they had us on our heels. They had a seven-point lead, and it was a back-and-forth game. We had some huge contributions from Kadi (Sissoko) and Klarke (Sconiers). I thought that Justice (Ross) and Grace (Cumming) made some huge plays down the stretch. Justice hadn’t played a college game before and she played for 20 minutes tonight. They had some key moments in really key times for us.”

On Kadi Sissoko’s debut with the Gophers
“Yeah, she’s been unbelievable in the last few practices. Saturday when we were able to scrimmage for the first time this season, I thought the biggest takeaway was her being able to really turn the corner as far as her aggressiveness and getting to the basket, and you saw it tonight. I thought she was incredibly efficient in what she did. Didn’t settle for the three, she got to the basket. She had eight boards for us, six offensive. I think two of them were off of free throws for us. She was incredibly vital to our win today.”

On Jasmine Powell’s performance...
“She’s going to be keyed into all year. She’s on the top of every scouting report. Obviously, they switched every ball screen, they sat in a buzz zone, and they made it hard for us. At the same time, a little bit later in the game, she started hitting the three, she got to the line, and she got to the basket. She knows some of those turnovers are unforced and we know we need to continue to move the ball, but we don’t win if she’s not out there.”

Kadi Sissoko,
Minnesota Forward On her feeling of getting back into action after a two-year layoff…
“It was good. It was a relief. I was working really hard to be back and express myself on the court, so it felt really good.”

On the absence of fans for this season…
“I really miss the fans and I wish they could come and support, but I was really focused on the game, and I was focused on what I had to do. I knew they were watching from home or somewhere else, so it was fine.”

Jasmine Powell, Minnesota Guard
On bouncing back after a slow first half…

“I think I had to slow down in the beginning. I was rushed a little. We just had to slow down, play our game, and just move the ball more. I think I was rushing in shots [in the first half], and I think that’s how we got back into the game and had a really good third and fourth quarter.”

On playing alongside Kadi Sissoko for the first time… “It was great. Kadi is a great player, and we all knew it. To have her come into this game and just do the things that she did with the rebounds and the points. Everything that she contributed to the game; it was just fun to play with. It’s just fun when your teammates are doing as good as she was.”

A win is a win...
but you can see why in todays game it is hard to play with multiple young bigs .. They just dont get out and defend the 3. We were lucky, if Eastern would of shot the 3 better, we wouldn't be able to match them point for point.

I was intrigued that Sissoko took those two threes. That seems like a shot she'll need to go pro but not one she had previously taken much?

I was intrigued that Sissoko took those two threes. That seems like a shot she'll need to go pro but not one she had previously taken much?

this kind of reminds of Charles from Maryland.. she didn't shoot many 3's at Maryland but worked on it after she graduated, because she knew IF she wanted to play at the next level she would have to be able to shoot the 3, maybe not be a great 3 point shooter but would need to be able too. I'm hoping Sissoko over the next 3 years can add this to her game, because if she does she becomes even more dangerous.

Good to see everyone contribute, hopefully turnovers wii reduce when players start coming back and get used to playing with each. Was good t see so much size out there although I think they miss Scalia’s three point threat. Not much time to prepare for conference opener against MSU. I do believe are waiting to hear on Janai Crooms eligibility too. Maybe Mershon and Crooms will be eligible by then.
Crooms will be eligible for MSU. No word from the NCAA on Mershon yet, I don't think.

Top Bottom