Gale Sayers dies at age 77

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

Gale Sayers died.

I thought this was an interesting tidbit about his college career from Wikipedia:

Sayers said he had originally intended to go to the University of Iowa. Sayers said that he decided against going to Iowa after the Iowa head coach, Jerry Burns, did not have time to meet Sayers during his one campus visit.

Take that Iowa!

Sayers was a KU legend, and really the last KU player to have a significant NFL career, outside of John Riggins and to a lesser extent Aqib Talib.

Go Gophers!!

Always thought of the movie Brian’s Song when his name was mentioned.
RIP

I am always reminded of the NFL Films clip when when thinking about Sayers. "Give me 18 inches of daylight. That's all I need".

The Galloping Ghost, Bronko, The Kansas Comet & Sweetness. Quite a collection of Bears RBs.

RIP

I am always reminded of the NFL Films clip when when thinking about Sayers. "Give me 18 inches of daylight. That's all I need".

The Galloping Ghost, Bronko, The Kansas Comet & Sweetness. Quite a collection of Bears RBs.

RIP
Real football in that video. Who knows, with modern day surgery what Sayers could have achieved. Hard to say this, but I'm old enough to have seen him play. Died to young...Rest in Peace.

I was at the game with my dad in 65 or 66 when Sayers scored 4 or 5 touchdowns against us. Memory stuck with me. Unbelievably good. Like Tony Oliva, if they had knee surgery procedures then like today, would have had an even better and longer career.

He clearly was one of the best as he made defensive players look like they didn't belong on the field quite often. I too had the privileged of watching him. Enjoy the heavens Mr. Sayers!

My favorite running back of all time. As a diehard Viking's fan in my youth I was scared shitless every time Sayers got his hands on the ball when we played the Bears. Every once in awile I like to watch his career highlights on Youtube. My Gayle Sayers autographed football card is still one of my treasured possessions.

Sayers was a KU legend, and really the last KU player to have a significant NFL career, outside of John Riggins and to a lesser extent Aqib Talib.

Go Gophers!!
Dana Stubblefield and Gilbert Brown as well. Sayers was amazing. May he Rest In Peace!

Rest in peace, Sir.

This was the ONLY guy that didn't play for the Gophers or Vikings my dad ever spoke glowingly about. Everybody else was just "pretty good".

The very best running backs are strange animals.

Like you can get by find with a good OL and any RB. But the great RBs seem entirely different than any other RB.

Their ability to stay on their feet, change direction, slip out of a pile of linemen, and then 'see' downfield and in an instant pick the right direction to move to seems like magic.

Top Bottom