Gable Steveson Interested in playing Gopher Football

Did he play in high school or anything? Would be cool if for no other reason than the publicity but can the guy actually play?

If true and he's serious, then quite honestly: he should hire a private coach, like a former professional DL, and run his own boot camp on how to actually play the position. Don't take resources/coaching/etc. away from the current Gopher players in fall camp.

Join the team once school starts. See if he can crack the lineup to play in passing downs or specific situations. See what happens.

We've talked about this possibility in the other thread, but I think this makes a ton of sense for Steveson. The WWE (and UFC) will always be there. Why not give FB a shot, win another natty in wrestling, then see if you get some NFL interest in the spring. If not, make a decision about either going pro in something or continuing in amateur wrestling by training for worlds next year and the '24 Olympics? With NIL he could still be pulling in a fair amount of cash I'd assume. I could easily see him in a Geico commercial throwing somebody around then doing his backflip.

If true and he's serious, then quite honestly: he should hire a private coach, like a former professional DL, and run his own boot camp on how to actually play the position. Don't take resources/coaching/etc. away from the current Gopher players in fall camp.

Join the team once school starts. See if he can crack the lineup to play in passing downs or specific situations. See what happens.
If he joined the team and took resources and coaching away from Jack Kern (for example) I think we'd be fine.

buffalo bills' sean mcdermott is a former wrestler, has brought wrestlers into camp in the past, and has reached out to gabe.

i think this would be more along the lines of encouragement from mcdermott for gabe to consider football, rather than gabe trying out for the bills any time soon

It seems like FB would be a long shot career ($$$) wise with a risk of injury before he can even cash in. The quickest way to capitalize on his Olympic fame would be to go the UFC/WWE route.

I will give him this Gable is an excellent marketer of himself and has a bright future wherever he goes.

With all that said I could see him taking a couple snaps this year.

We've talked about this possibility in the other thread, but I think this makes a ton of sense for Steveson. The WWE (and UFC) will always be there. Why not give FB a shot, win another natty in wrestling, then see if you get some NFL interest in the spring. If not, make a decision about either going pro in something or continuing in amateur wrestling by training for worlds next year and the '24 Olympics? With NIL he could still be pulling in a fair amount of cash I'd assume. I could easily see him in a Geico commercial throwing somebody around then doing his backflip.
I'd like him to tackle Sasquatch. Better yet, make him Sasquatch Steveson. :cool02:

Last edited:

You want him to not practice with the team to get better at football? Are you the greatest troll ever? Imagine a kid joining the team when school starts. This is JV in Kerkhoven. I’d imagine the coaches would want him you know...WITH THE TEAM.

It seems like FB would be a long shot career ($$$) wise with a risk of injury before he can even cash in. The quickest way to capitalize on his Olympic fame would be to go the UFC/WWE route.

I will give him this Gable is an excellent marketer of himself and has a bright future wherever he goes.

Gable makes $10k+ per sponsored tweet. He got nearly $300k for winning a gold medal. If he wants to make money immediately he can and will.

If he truly wants to consider football as an option then it makes a ton of sense for him to join the Gophers. No lose situation in that if he pans out awesome...and if he doesn't nobody is really out anything as he wasn't part of the plans to begin with.

He's got the size and athletic ability to do it. Just a matter of how quickly he can adapt to the technique and learn the ins and outs of what would be expected of him at the position. With his strength, quickness and understanding of leverage, the potential is there for him to be a very disruptive force on defense. But it would all come down to just how focused he was on the idea of playing football and how quick he could learn.

As a what-if - if he's serious, I could see the coaches coming up with a very limited package of plays on defense. Let GS line up at rush end or use him in a blitz package. If nothing else, I could see him drawing a lot of holding penalties - because most OL can't match his quickness.

and now, let's dream - GS comes in for a blitz package against WI - OL whiffs on the block, and GS comes in untouched at Mertz. Mertz sees him coming, soils his pants, and goes into the fetal position.......

As a what-if - if he's serious, I could see the coaches coming up with a very limited package of plays on defense. Let GS line up at rush end or use him in a blitz package. If nothing else, I could see him drawing a lot of holding penalties - because most OL can't match his quickness.

and now, let's dream - GS comes in for a blitz package against WI - OL whiffs on the block, and GS comes in untouched at Mertz. Mertz sees him coming, soils his pants, and goes into the fetal position.......
The quickness with which Mertz would be able able to release his sphincter and then fall into the fetal position without being touched by Steveson would be laudable.

If nothing else....he'd bring a lot of attention to the Gophers. But yeah....football is a different sport. He'd need to learn the game before stepping on to the field. Maybe next year if he is truly interested. But I'm not sure he needs to be in the NFL to have a lucrative career. Sounds like pro wrestling is a good possibility. Obviously he'd need to be able to act to make the big bucks there. If he really has his heart set on football, however.....let's see what he can do. Just don't make this into a publicity stunt.

If nothing else, I could see him drawing a lot of holding penalties - because most OL can't match his quickness.
my thought would be the opposite. Gabe has years of muscle memory to grab/hold to gain an advantage. wouldn't it be difficult to overcome?

came across a photo of gabe standing next to Brock, both shirtless. I was shocked by how much smaller gabe appeared to be. a bit like Tyson standing next to Foreman

my thought would be the opposite. Gabe has years of muscle memory to grab/hold to gain an advantage. wouldn't it be difficult to overcome?

came across a photo of gabe standing next to Brock, both shirtless. I was shocked by how much smaller gabe appeared to be. a bit like Tyson standing next to Foreman
In that image, Steveson is probably ~240 and Lesnar is probably closer to ~270. I'd be interesting to see them both if Steveson didn't have a weight limit.

Is doing a flip after sacking the QB considered an unsportsmanlike penalty? I don't care if it is, it'd be worth it to see.
I think Mr. Winfield has shown how the NFL treats this type of behavior...or was it the other guy?

buffalo bills' sean mcdermott is a former wrestler, has brought wrestlers into camp in the past, and has reached out to gabe.

i think this would be more along the lines of encouragement from mcdermott for gabe to consider football, rather than gabe trying out for the bills any time soon

Titans sign former All-American wrestler Adam Coon as OL​

Additionally, there was also a starting G for the Steelers for several years IIRC, who wrestled at Harrisburg St, so there is a history of it in the NFL.

Did he play in high school or anything? Would be cool if for no other reason than the publicity but can the guy actually play?
I thought I heard on a podcast that he last played football during his freshmen year of high school. I could be wrong on that.

Is backflipping over the line in order to sack the QB a penalty?
its legal as long as you don't use leverage from a team mate or don't do it during a kick, right? could take a while though since he does a handspring first to create momentum for the flip

If nothing else....he'd bring a lot of attention to the Gophers. But yeah....football is a different sport. He'd need to learn the game before stepping on to the field. Maybe next year if he is truly interested. But I'm not sure he needs to be in the NFL to have a lucrative career. Sounds like pro wrestling is a good possibility. Obviously he'd need to be able to act to make the big bucks there. If he really has his heart set on football, however.....let's see what he can do. Just don't make this into a publicity stunt.
I agree that it comes across as a publicity stunt. No need for a distraction if this team wants to win 9+ games.

Top Bottom