Götterdämmerung / A Home Field Advantage

6 Nov 1999

Reaction score
1. I am playing a DVR recording of Götterdämmerung as pregame preparation for Paul Bunyan’s Axe. I thought it fitting. A cataclysmic clash between two schools / two states with Teutonic / Nordic heritage separated by and played along the banks of the river Rhine (Mississippi). I cannot think of a game where we had more to gain since the 10 October 2003 game against Michigan in the accursed HHH Metrodome. But Lady Luck did not smile upon us that day. Going back further in time, we recall the 9 October 1999 game against the Badgers in the accursed HHH Metrodome. Again Lady Luck did not smile upon us that day. Going back still further in time, we recall the 28 September 1985 game against Oklahoma in the accursed HHH Metrodome. Lady Luck did not smile upon us that day either. I cannot recall any critical game at the accursed HHH Metrodome when / where home field advantage played out to our favor. The perfect weather seemed to always play to our opponent’s advantage.
2. From the NOAA website, it would appear that the high for today’s game will be 14 or 15 degrees Fahrenheit at kickoff dropping to 12 degrees Fahrenheit at the end of regulation. Winds will be from the northwest at 9 miles / hour at kickoff and dying down to 6 miles / hour at the end of regulation. Wind chill will be bouncing between 3 and 2 degrees Fahrenheit. I don’t think we could ask for more favorable weather and home field advantage against a visiting team. This is about as intimidating as it gets. Yet Madison is not much warmer. Will the environment help the 16.5 point underdog Golden Gophers, or will it play to the Badgers advantage? We don’t know. As a famous football philosopher on GopherHole we all know always says, “This is why we play the games!” Here is hoping today we repay Bucky Badger for their ill gotten victory in Camp Randall Stadium on 24 November 1962 and enjoy another TCF Bank Stadium home field advantage. The Loon, Wren, and my son will be in TCF Bank Stadium in the cold and wind cheering on my alma mater. I will be sitting in front of a fire watching on ESPN or ESPN2 (not sure which one it is going to end up on).

"Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, 'I served in the United States Navy.’”
LT John F. Kennedy, USN

Be sure to stand and yell on all 4 downs...even at home!

The Butterfly Effect says it will make a difference...

Mrs. Billd and myself will add an extra decibel or two in your honor.

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust to Beat the Badgers!

Top Bottom