FWIF - Richard Pitino feedback from Louisville couple

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
Had a couple next to me on a flight home today that was on their way home to Louisville. The lady had a Louisville Cardinals shirt on, and so I asked if they were fans of Louisville hoops, "Oooooh yeah." The wife is a HUGE cardinals fan; the husband is too, but he's a Carolina alum and thus also a big Tar Heel fan. I asked what they thought of Richard Pitino and hubby deferred to the wife. This wasn't just some chick - these two knew their college hoops big-time.

She said she, and people in Louisville, liked Richard a lot. Their hope is that he will come back and get the job when Rick retires (I told them I hope he does well enough here that we'll have to face that problem). She said how Pitino was recently quoted talking about how Richard helped them with adjustments they made in a game recently (that quote has been cited here already). They thought he did a great job at Louisville and had more responsibility than most people realized - they said he was "the guy", in terms of the assistants.

One thing that was interesting was that the hubby, unprompted, said "one thing about Richard - your donors won't be able to open up their checkbooks fast enough. He will get donors to pump crazy money into that program". The guy said he's just a great guy "in the room" - polished, thoughtful, very mature, and very well-spoken.

As a Carolina fan, he brought up Daugherty and said the reason he got fired there wasn't because of his record; it was because he wasn't going to fundraisers and putting in the time necessary to get the donors to donate.

As a side, they both really like Tubby and wondered why we got rid of him (many reasons, but see Daugherty explanation for one). They think he's a really nice guy and said the Kentucky people treated him terribly. I told them that by all accounts, Tubby seems to be a nice man, but...

Anyway, none of this stuff is much different than what we heard, but it was reassuring for me to hear it from people who have been on vacation all week in another part of the country and completely disconnected from all the stuff we've been reading the past couple days.

Yep because the other side of the country doesn't have access to the Internet:p But in all seriousness, that's great to hear outsiders critique. I'm really excited about RP.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling we'll be breaking ground on the practice facility sooner than later. The more I read about Coach P the more excited I get.

Practice facility ground-breaking will be announced tomorrow, my sources say. Or not. Wait, I have no sources. Just wishful thinking.

Practice facility ground-breaking will be announced tomorrow, my sources say. Or not. Wait, I have no sources. Just wishful thinking.

Most peoples' sources are less reliable than having no sources, so I am with you. :)

Top Bottom