Future Uniforms

EITJYCQOPLGQEKS.20061204202059.jpg

I would love to see us go back to these but I would be happy with anything that isn't our current uniforms or the Wacker era unis.

Sorry, I just like black. Not sayin it would be the best combo but that is what I like. Black works for the Baltimore ravens but that is a different story.

I smell Hawkeye fan....

I liked the white hats, but really I don't care. Either go back to a really clean jersey that we had during the Mason era or keep what we have. Don't make any changes so we look like a damn Arena League team like the Vikings.

These are pretty tough. I would like to see these get pulled out a couple times every year.

EITJYCQOPLGQEKS.20061204202059.jpg

I would love to see us go back to these but I would be happy with anything that isn't our current uniforms or the Wacker era unis.

The new uniforms don't bother me - except when they used the all gold combination. That was heinous.

We've had the "Block M" on the helmets since 1968... We haven't won a conference championship since 1967... just sayin'

Also, I may be the only one, but I like it when teams do not include the player's last name on their jersey. Football is a team sport, not an individual sport.

totally agree... always found it classy (and ironic) that the yankees have never put the names of the players on their uniforms. i mean, if ever there were a team full of 'individuals', it's the ny yankees. and yet, year after year, those individuals play as a team and find a way to win.

of course, names or not, having a team of all-stars certainly makes it easier to win. maybe we should put the names of yankees players on our jerseys... yeah??

Everyone knows I support that throwback look from the NDSU game a handful of years ago.

Just take how awesome they look in that photo.... now put that image in front of the tunnel at the Bank. Isn't it loads better?

The new uniforms disgust me, although the shades of Maroon and Gold are good. And if there must be an M on the helmet, I prefer Brewster's to Mason's (although both are fine).

I agree with the poster above that hopes that Kill spends more time preparing his team for the game than he does about what uniform combo to wear. The new uniform's are OK, although I don't like the all gold or all maroon options as they look like pajamas.

those throwbacks look like a class 2A high school uni. just awful.

What about these (this is taken from uniwatch.com)?
http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2010/05/30/if-you-build-it/

I think they're pretty solid, although I'm not a fan of the white helmet so I'd swap that out for maroon, most likely. I'd also probably go for thick striping down the sides of the pants like the ones from the 60s.

Our second set of tweaks comes from Michael Jaszewski, who has a new home and road for the Gophers:

Phil,

I’m a lifelong U of M football fan (it’s a rough gig) and I HATE the current uniforms, so I thought I’d have a go at redesigning them.

The first thing I wanted to do was get back to the classic uniforms – the uniforms the team wore when it was national champions – with some modern updates. The helmet reverts back to white, but unlike the helmets from the early 60s, which had numbers on the side, I stuck with a block M. I bumped up the size of that block M, however, and I made it gold, with maroon outline. With the exception of the home jersey, the maroon is de-emphasized so that the nickname “Golden” Gophers makes sense. The away jerseys have gold numbers with thick, maroon outlines. The sleeves themselves are gold with thin maroon piping on the shoulder (that’s the most modern element of these uniforms) and the numbers in white with thick maroon ourlines. The pants are solid gold. The socks are maroon with what I’d call a “half Northwestern stripe.”

It’s probably too late to hope the team dons something like these for the 2010 season, but one can always hope 2011 sees them harkening back to their glory days — both in their record and their uniforms.

These are AWESOME. Modern and old school all at the same time. Our maroon helmet and gold M looks too much like McDonalds to me. Needs to go. This is a perfect fit. I've been on the gold helmet bandwagon, but I like this look better.

Yeah, like those bush-leaguers at Alabama and Penn State.

No, I agree they look bush leauge, but it's not because of the style; it's the execution. Those are cheap screen printed jerseys. Compare with Penn State and Alabama and you'll see what I mean.

I agree that the jerseys should be of a higher quality. Sewn on numbers and whatnot.

I thought the style was under attack, and I was forced to rush to the innocent uniform's defense because the style is impeccable.

I was in a hat store recently and noticed the Twins caps available in green, camo, pink, weird blue, etc.

Maybe The Gopher football uniforms should take on an iconic dark shade of pink/maroon.

Yep I think thats what we have to do.

I wonder if the folks over at Nike and the Athletic Department are keeping a list of our ideas?

These are AWESOME. Modern and old school all at the same time. Our maroon helmet and gold M looks too much like McDonalds to me. Needs to go. This is a perfect fit. I've been on the gold helmet bandwagon, but I like this look better.

For those of you trying to see the link:

4650280334_7b7d5a0d5e_b.jpg

4650280170_507a8a4faa_b.jpg

I would replace the M with the jersey number...

I like that home design way way a million times better than the away one.

Not sure what it is, maybe the lack of maroon? maybe the two toned number? the overall brightness? I don't know enough about this stuff to understand why it strikes me wrong.

I see kill as being a guy who cares very little about uniforms.

Personally I think the uniforms from the last couple of years have been very nice. I hate the gold on gold. Loved the combo we wore against USC and would have like to see it with the white helmets. BTW, why were the white helmets never worn at home. Makes very little sense to me to have something of that nature and never wear them at home. I guess they were probably a Brew thing and he never got the chance to make that decision for a home game. Also, really like the Maroon, Gold, Maroon look from last year's Cal game.

Those throwbacks, done well would be a nice uni.

Gotta keep the M on the helmet. Bama is the only school that can still have the numbers, once you go away from them you can't go back, sorry. Mason era unis are the best. The current ones have certain combos that are fine, some not. I don't like the white pants on the 60's throwbacks.

Well can we at least stick with Maroon and not those bastard shades of Burgundy and Merlot? Those are awful.

totally agree... always found it classy (and ironic) that the yankees have never put the names of the players on their uniforms. i mean, if ever there were a team full of 'individuals', it's the ny yankees. and yet, year after year, those individuals play as a team and find a way to win.

of course, names or not, having a team of all-stars certainly makes it easier to win. maybe we should put the names of yankees players on our jerseys... yeah??

I'm not a big fan of the names on the back either...but we almost have to with a couple of players wearing the same numbers. Just imagine the 3rd and 4th string BTN announcers, "Johnny Johnson drops back to pass."

I like that home design way way a million times better than the away one.

Not sure what it is, maybe the lack of maroon? maybe the two toned number? the overall brightness? I don't know enough about this stuff to understand why it strikes me wrong.

It's the gold on the shoulders...at least for me it is. I say remove that and go with a maroon neckline. And I'd just go normal socks, not the striped deals. Just wear some white or black socks like most colleges do.

The only successful school that uses that strategy is Oregon. Pretty much every other powerhouse school has an old school look. The modern style isn't used by the successful schools usually

Teams in the top-25 with new-school unis:
oregon
tcu
arkansas
mighigan state
boise state
mizzou
vt
oklahoma state
utah
wvu
south carolina
hawaii
ucf

what is about mason's uniforms that made them classic? they didn't where that style in th 70s, the 60s, the 50s, the 40s. they are an old style, but not traditional to gopher football. the all gold is actually more traditional to gopher football that the USC knock-offs that mason's teams wore.

Top Bottom