Future (financially) of MLB?

I know, I know, some will call this whining or whatever other label you want to go with but just a simple notion to consider; to completely dismiss the insistence on moving last year's All-Star Game out of Atlanta, GA for political reasons (but okay to play the WS there) would be at least a little bit of a mistake. You can argue how much of an impact it made on ratings and attendance but to dismiss it completely would be a little naive.
The Braves had the second highest overall attendance and second highest per game attendance in 2021.

The Braves had the second highest overall attendance and second highest per game attendance in 2021.
I have no doubt that the team that won the WS had really solid attendance. Product on the field definitely makes a difference.

I know, I know, some will call this whining or whatever other label you want to go with but just a simple notion to consider; to completely dismiss the insistence on moving last year's All-Star Game out of Atlanta, GA for political reasons (but okay to play the WS there) would be at least a little bit of a mistake. You can argue how much of an impact it made on ratings and attendance but to dismiss it completely would be a little naive.

lol. If that upset someone enough to boycott the MLB....then those people need to rethink their priorities.

I don't even remember the all-star game being moved. It's obviously important to a fringe, but it's not on most people's radar.
You're right, it's probably not on very many people's radar at all. The point is it's a business decision, 100%, and why would you knowingly make a poor business decision? For MLB, they are struggling somewhat with viewers so I don't understand the willingness to knowingly decrease revenue and viewership?

Sooooo, maybe it's not a massive demographic. Maybe it doesn't result in a 30% or 25% or even a 20% reduction in eyeballs on games. Let's go with the definition/description offered of "fringe" in this case. If fringe is only 6-8%, you are still knowingly and needlessly taking a 6-8% reduction in revenue and viewership in an industry that is already cut throat, and ESPECIALLY when you knew the likelihood of a Lockout was coming to alienate even more fans?

Forget about the fact that you may not agree with the particular reason; why would any business make a decision that you know would needlessly alienate at least some of your demographic and audience? It's just not good business, regardless of whether anyone agrees with?

Top Bottom