Fundamental Changes in Gopher Football

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I have enjoyed being a Gopher fan since I went on a field trip in 1972 and saw the Gophers demolish Iowa 43-14 on Homecoming Day. There was no doubt where I was going to go to college! In the 50 years since that game, we have enjoyed some great highs and of course many lows but things are very different today than they were in the 1970's through 2000. We used to hope to maybe catch Iowa and Wisconsin on an off day but today I feel it's more, let's line up and go for it. I feel the playing field has become much more level. I see this in the bowl games now too. It isn't "Maybe we can get an inferior opponent so we can beat them or maybe the other team won't show up," it's let's get the best game available so we can line up against a good team and beat them. Very different. You will find if you want to go to a good bowl game, you will have to line up against one of the best teams in the country.

The fan base has gotten much younger at the games. For awhile, it seemed like the only fans there were a very old crowd but the recent success has helped create a much younger fanbase coming in. That's good to see and welcome aboard. It's been nice to see the noise and enthusiasm from the younger people coming in.

I think it's awesome going into the season and not penciling in a loss next to several teams knowing there is no chance the Gophers are going to come out of it with a win. Every game we play we at least have a chance to win, some better than others. A bowl game is a very real opportunity each year, not something we would see twice in a decade!!

With more success, this has also brought in better recruits and better walkons than before. We no longer just take the leftovers but we are seeing some really good kids coming in. We are starting to see more NFL draft picks out of the U of M. The portal is helping us bring in recruits we would have never seen before. It's one thing bringing in an 18 year old kid hoping to develop him and in 2-3 years he would be ready to see the field and bringing in a 22 year old man ready to go right now and excel.

I think the next step to take is standing toe to toe with Iowa and Wisconsin. The games are closer with Iowa and we have knocked off Wisconsin 2 of the last 4 years. We used to lose to teams like Nebraska 84-13 and 56-7 and now we are knocking them off almost every year these days. Our talent level has some ways to go to get to an Alabama or Georgia, but we are definitely getting closer. This kind of started when Glen Mason got here - he is the guy I credit for first turning it around. He had an awesome offense and he knocked off every team in the Big Ten at least once. Brewster was a disaster, but the hires of Kill, Claeys and Fleck were all very good hires and have given the program hope and sustainability.

It is a lot more fun being a Gopher fan these days than some of the old days that pushed aside almost an entire generation of fans. I am excited to see what is in store for the future and hope we can keep ascending to new heights. Some day, it would sure nice to get to see a Rose Bowl or two!! Let's get it done!!

I went to a game my senior year of HS and was sold on going to the U. I started with Mason's first year and have rode the roller coaster.

The student section is awesome and I agree the crowd is younger. Tailgating is better as well. It has take time for the U campus to reestablish around having football back on campus and people are starting to see the rewards of it.

Fleck has been a great fit for this University and Program.

I do agree with Mason that Tyrone Carter and Greg Eslinger need to be put in the ring of honor. There have been some really good players come through the program in the last 25 years and we don't embrace them at all publicly.

I went to a game my senior year of HS and was sold on going to the U. I started with Mason's first year and have rode the roller coaster.

The student section is awesome and I agree the crowd is younger. Tailgating is better as well. It has take time for the U campus to reestablish around having football back on campus and people are starting to see the rewards of it.

Fleck has been a great fit for this University and Program.

I do agree with Mason that Tyrone Carter and Greg Eslinger need to be put in the ring of honor. There have been some really good players come through the program in the last 25 years and we don't embrace them at all publicly.
This is it, Maxy! Going to a Gopher game now feels like going to a big time college football game.

I started college in ‘02, so missed some of the low lows… but really started with the Decker, Barber, Maroney teams. Our ceiling has raised significantly since those days, back them a great season was beating a couple of MI/WI/IA… and there really was no hope of a Big Ten crown… now…. That’s a much more realistic goal coming into each season. I really think Fleck has Natty upside (not saying he will win one here, but in a year where you get the breaks your way… it COULD happen).

I have enjoyed being a Gopher fan since I went on a field trip in 1972 and saw the Gophers demolish Iowa 43-14 on Homecoming Day. There was no doubt where I was going to go to college! In the 50 years since that game, we have enjoyed some great highs and of course many lows but things are very different today than they were in the 1970's through 2000. We used to hope to maybe catch Iowa and Wisconsin on an off day but today I feel it's more, let's line up and go for it. I feel the playing field has become much more level. I see this in the bowl games now too. It isn't "Maybe we can get an inferior opponent so we can beat them or maybe the other team won't show up," it's let's get the best game available so we can line up against a good team and beat them. Very different. You will find if you want to go to a good bowl game, you will have to line up against one of the best teams in the country.

The fan base has gotten much younger at the games. For awhile, it seemed like the only fans there were a very old crowd but the recent success has helped create a much younger fanbase coming in. That's good to see and welcome aboard. It's been nice to see the noise and enthusiasm from the younger people coming in.

I think it's awesome going into the season and not penciling in a loss next to several teams knowing there is no chance the Gophers are going to come out of it with a win. Every game we play we at least have a chance to win, some better than others. A bowl game is a very real opportunity each year, not something we would see twice in a decade!!

With more success, this has also brought in better recruits and better walkons than before. We no longer just take the leftovers but we are seeing some really good kids coming in. We are starting to see more NFL draft picks out of the U of M. The portal is helping us bring in recruits we would have never seen before. It's one thing bringing in an 18 year old kid hoping to develop him and in 2-3 years he would be ready to see the field and bringing in a 22 year old man ready to go right now and excel.

I think the next step to take is standing toe to toe with Iowa and Wisconsin. The games are closer with Iowa and we have knocked off Wisconsin 2 of the last 4 years. We used to lose to teams like Nebraska 84-13 and 56-7 and now we are knocking them off almost every year these days. Our talent level has some ways to go to get to an Alabama or Georgia, but we are definitely getting closer. This kind of started when Glen Mason got here - he is the guy I credit for first turning it around. He had an awesome offense and he knocked off every team in the Big Ten at least once. Brewster was a disaster, but the hires of Kill, Claeys and Fleck were all very good hires and have given the program hope and sustainability.

It is a lot more fun being a Gopher fan these days than some of the old days that pushed aside almost an entire generation of fans. I am excited to see what is in store for the future and hope we can keep ascending to new heights. Some day, it would sure nice to get to see a Rose Bowl or two!! Let's get it done!!

Love to read this perspective! It's been so great watching the excitement build around the program!

I think this video from a fan aligns perfectly with the OP's post. The PA announcer says "Ladies and Gentlemen, can I have your attention, please?" and you hear a nearby fan say "Nope! No one on the field." And then.....HAHAHA. Pure bedlam!

But that fan's comment kinda shows that it's been burned into Gopher fans brains for decades not too have too much fun or get too excited. Don't stand all game. Don't expect the team to close out big games in the 4th quarter. Etc.

I think this "Jump Around" moment was definitely a signal that the energy in not only our fan base, but the program and administration has changed. I honestly would never imagine our game ops doing something that awesome and on point 10-20 years ago. I'll never EVER forget this moment.

I think this video from a fan aligns perfectly with the OP's post. The PA announcer says "Ladies and Gentlemen, can I have your attention, please?" and you hear a nearby fan say "Nope! No one on the field." And then.....HAHAHA. Pure bedlam!

But that fan's comment kinda shows that it's been burned into Gopher fans brains for decades not too have too much fun or get too excited. Don't stand all game. Don't expect the team to close out big games in the 4th quarter. Etc.

I think this "Jump Around" moment was definitely a signal that the energy in not only our fan base, but the program and administration has changed. I honestly would never imagine our game ops doing something that awesome and on point 10-20 years ago. I'll never EVER forget this moment.

I find myself looking around to make sure I'm not blocking someone's view our of habit, but for the most part everyone in my area gets it now. If the people in front of you stand, you better stand if you want to see the game.

I find myself looking around to make sure I'm not blocking someone's view our of habit, but for the most part everyone in my area gets it now. If the people in front of you stand, you better stand if you want to see the game.

I remember going to games at the Dome and even the early years of TCF and I literally felt guilty trying to stand up on big 3rd down plays. Times have changed!

I really think Penn State game in 2019 was a huge turning point. The game was fun, people were into it, and the Gophers pulled it out. I remember leaving the stadium saying "Why not us?"

Ever since then games have been in demand. I have been a season ticket holder since 2007 and would say I miss on average a game a year. This year I was out of town during the Illinois game and I sold my two tickets for $75 each. 4-5 years ago I could barely give tickets away, now to a basic Big Ten game in what was viewed at that point as a down year for the Gophers netted me $150.

That video is awesome.

I'm just glad the guy carrying the Axe in the middle of the mosh pit wasn't jumping up and down (about 1:35 in the video)!

We no longer play in many other school's Homecoming game. I guess other schools no longer consider the Gophers as a creampuff of a team any more.

First of all, AMAZING video! Thanks for posting that. Second, the more I watch videos like this, the more I appreciate the "Jump Around" troll. Masterful. They had clearly been planning it all week to have it queued up and the PA guy drop that "Attention" line.

And the only reason Nebraska is #1.....is because.....look at what they did this season. Then again....the BG and Illinois games were home....ao that may have contributed.

Love the OP comment about reestablishing tailgating on-campus/near the stadium.

Would love to see them expand this, however reasonable and possible.

- move the Thompson Center for Environmental Management to a new building, and make that whole thing a single Victory lot
- why not pave that whole thing of the Ski-U-Mah lot? I know nature and shit, and it looks like there is a bit on the lower right that is a dumping/loading/turn-around(?) gravel lot ... get that outta there

- all that whole area to the East of that, looks like a perpetual construction yard (says "AG Commodities Transload" on Google maps), and then further East of that was converted into a, I think meant to be temporary, area for the track throwers ..... convert all that into more parking!

I'm guessing the throwers would much rather throw at the actual new track site

To the beer issue: Does anyone think an enterprising 21-year-old student could potentially make a profit buying and selling beers to other students in the stands? My 21-year-old self would be pondering that notion.

From Memorial stadium to the Dome to TCF bank stadium (I still call Macys, Dayton's) Just about everything has elevated. As the University ramped up commitment and financial resources, things got better on the field and in the stands.

I honestly would never imagine our game ops doing something that awesome and on point 10-20 years ago. I'll never EVER forget this moment.
You are correct about that. In fact I specifically remember a time back in the Metrodome when our PA operator played Jump Around during a Wisconsin game. All it did was fire up the traveling fans in red. I was so disgusted at that point.

You are correct about that. In fact I specifically remember a time back in the Metrodome when our PA operator played Jump Around during a Wisconsin game. All it did was fire up the traveling fans in red. I was so disgusted at that point.
lol yeah it wouldn't have the same effect when you are getting pounded by 30 points. But to play it at the end of the game that we won was really a perfect delivery, well done Gopher ops.

To the beer issue: Does anyone think an enterprising 21-year-old student could potentially make a profit buying and selling beers to other students in the stands? My 21-year-old self would be pondering that notion.
I feel like the risks / profits would be kinda low.

Usually you can buy only so many beers, lines get long... sellers will get suspicious, and the U is going to take special interest in anyone dorking up booze sales ...

And really profits, how much more is an underage student really likely to pay for what is already a high price?

I recall seeing how small our defensive lines were, compared to the offensive lines for Michigan, Penn State, etc at the Metrodome, and thinking that we had no chance to win. Those days are over, we can compete with anyone now. We just need some better skill position players, and a little more team speed.

The turn around in filling the student section is nothing short of astounding. For several years, it was looking far worse than student attendance in the dome, despite having a new stadium on campus. Students are what make college games more fun than pro, in my opinion. And it was really concerning for a while.

As was previously said, the Penn State game was a turning point. This Wisconsin game will solidify the gains. Going to a Gopher game is fun again, and now regularly on the radar for students. If this keeps building for another year or two, filling the student section and caring about Gopher football will be the norm for the youngsters. It will be all they know.

There was a Purdue game and and Indiana game.

Something about the way the team handled themselves, played. It wasn't the old gophers, and you could FEEL a lot of the crowd stopped watching and wondering "What's going to happen?" and it turned in to "What are these guys going to do next!?!?!"

You could tell these guys were making plays more "at will" than just rando chance or luck.

I think the Indiana game was pretty sparely attended, usual diehards like me and some folks who got free / cheap tickets in the stands.

In the Indiana game Indiana had a very gopher characteristic comeback going and yet crowd hung with it, there were the usual nervous faces... but not as many ... then ...

That crowd got LOUD, not a lot of people, but it was LOUD. PJ even mentioned the noise.

It wasn't a noteworthy game much, but you could feel the energy was changing. PJ mentioned the noise in the press conference and folks at the game who posted on this forum noted it too.

At that point it was clear that this team had that extra something to make things happen.

Love this OP! I came into Gopher football in the midst of the Wacker years (he may be the worst but still most loved coach of all time). Student tickets were $3/game. I paid $18 for season tickets my first year at the U. I won't compare that to what we're paying next season.

I both chuckle and appreciate the heat that PJ and Tanner get, the "disgust" over an 8-4 season and "only" going 6-3 in the conference. "Only" beating WI 2 of 5 meetings. Lots of hill to climb but the Gophers are closer to the top then they've been since the 60's. Chuckle because we're so much better than we've been in decades. Appreciate because we're elevating expectations. I spent my first 20+ years just getting excited we made it to a bowl game on rare occasion. Getting excited when we beat Iowa or WI or whomever on a fluke that you knew wasn't repeatable.

Clemson went 9-3 this season. LSU went 6-6. Yea, I want to go to New Year's Day bowls ever year. I want the Rose Bowl to feel boring, I want to be Alabama. But 8-4, in the division race the last week of the season, a New Year's Day possibility on the table - that's a far cry from what I know as a fan.

On Monday over the lunch hour, I walked into a foodcourt in downtown St. Paul. There were only 7 people sitting there, but two of the guys were wearing Gopher sweatshirts. That's something I'm not used to seeing.

About a month ago I was walking in Target while wearing a gopher jacket and a gal dressed in a gopher shirt walked by me and said "Go Gophers!" I wa so surprised it took me a second to blurt out "Ski U Mah!"

This after we were entertained with Freddie Mercury Gopher, 0 Allen, situational music never heard before in the worn-out official NCAA list and less screeching co-ed announcements - it made for a much classier feel. The team did it on the field and the media and PS people kept the vibe going.

Top Bottom