Fun Road Trip to D.C.

FireDaveLee

Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Was a fun weekend in DC. Just a few random thoughts:
-Checked off Big Ten stadium #13 off my list; only Rutgers to go.
-Stayed downtown & took the green line up to College Park. Was pretty slick & they had shuttle buses waiting at the stop, dropping you right off at the stadium. If people go the next time, staying downtown is definitely a workable option.
-Two small replay screens, and it didn't seem that they played replays that often. Next time I'm at TCF & I get frustrated with the scoreboard, I'll try to calm myself by saying "Relax: it could be Maryland."
-Kind of an interesting stadium layout, to say the least. Just one deck on the one side & end, and then the 3 levels on the visitors side. I thought the visitors seats were OK, compared to what I've gotten some other times through the U at other venues.
-The whole practice field was converted to a student tailgate. Of course, the student section was at the opposite end of where they were. One thing they seemed to do is tailgate a lot more on grassy areas, whether it's kind of by their car or they walk to them. I guess I don't really think that's much of an option for Minnesota. I think it would be a blast if everyone was tailgating on Northrup mall, but it really doesn't make much sense with it not super close to the stadium. I think MN's tailgating scene is much more festive.
-Not exactly a football atmosphere or really much football excitement. I got as many Richard Pitino questions as I did football questions from Maryland fans. But they are in the process of constructing a new indoor facility, so looks like they are wanting to pump in some money to become competitive. The only time their fans really seemed to get loud was when they were trying to beg for a DPI on the Gophers when things just weren't working for them. Probably frustration from all the holding penalties called on them (along with that, there could have been A LOT more holding penalties called on the Terps in the 4th quarter; seemed like they almost got tired of calling them).
-To me, it seems like they have quite a few of the same problems as Minnesota in terms of attracting that football fan base. Around DC, I hardly saw anyone wearing anything Maryland related.
-One cool thing I liked that they did: You buy a souvenir sized soda for $6, but then it had a sticker on it which allowed you 1 free refill that could be redeemed during the game.
-For band fans: their band was nothing special.

Football wise, it's not a must-see atmosphere compared to others in the conference. But I liken it to Northwestern in terms of it's a good trip to go on due to the big city factor. I literally could spend an entire day in simply the War exhibit in the American History museum. But I didn't run in to one bad Maryland fan, a few welcomed me for making the trip, and while I think some of their fan base is disappointed in the tradition they lost leaving the ACC, I think the football fan base is excited that they're going to get to see Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State & Michigan State on the schedule yearly, with most likely 2 of them being at home.

I was at the game too, dressed in Gopher regalia sitting next to my son in his Terp gear (he is a student there). The Maryland fans tailgated all over campus! in between buildings. on sidewalks, common spaces, and in the parking lots. Students do tailgate on the football practice field but the student section was sparsely occupied despite free admission. My son says most students go to the tailgate and don't even bother with the game.

Small Gopher section opposite of my "Parent's Weekend" seats was considerably louder than the Maryland fans except one play where the Gopher defensive back fell down and took out the receiver with him. Most the fans around me failed to realize the pass was overthrown by at least ten yards and was deemed uncatchable!

Met the Fahnings and the Delabasierres? prior to the game. Good people.

...except one play where the Gopher defensive back fell down and took out the receiver with him. Most the fans around me failed to realize the pass was overthrown by at least ten yards and was deemed uncatchable!

I tried to explain the same thing to the Maryland fans around me...to be honest their overall football knowledge seemed a little lacking. Very nice people though and a perfect day for a game! The Celestin family was sitting near us, was great to see him have a good showing for them.

We went to a DC bar to catch some EPL soccer in the morning and then took an Uber up to the game which worked out slick...and somehow was only $19 for over a half an hour ride.

Was a fun weekend in DC. Just a few random thoughts:
-Checked off Big Ten stadium #13 off my list; only Rutgers to go.
-Stayed downtown & took the green line up to College Park. Was pretty slick & they had shuttle buses waiting at the stop, dropping you right off at the stadium. If people go the next time, staying downtown is definitely a workable option.
-Two small replay screens, and it didn't seem that they played replays that often. Next time I'm at TCF & I get frustrated with the scoreboard, I'll try to calm myself by saying "Relax: it could be Maryland."
-Kind of an interesting stadium layout, to say the least. Just one deck on the one side & end, and then the 3 levels on the visitors side. I thought the visitors seats were OK, compared to what I've gotten some other times through the U at other venues.
-The whole practice field was converted to a student tailgate. Of course, the student section was at the opposite end of where they were. One thing they seemed to do is tailgate a lot more on grassy areas, whether it's kind of by their car or they walk to them. I guess I don't really think that's much of an option for Minnesota. I think it would be a blast if everyone was tailgating on Northrup mall, but it really doesn't make much sense with it not super close to the stadium. I think MN's tailgating scene is much more festive.
-Not exactly a football atmosphere or really much football excitement. I got as many Richard Pitino questions as I did football questions from Maryland fans. But they are in the process of constructing a new indoor facility, so looks like they are wanting to pump in some money to become competitive. The only time their fans really seemed to get loud was when they were trying to beg for a DPI on the Gophers when things just weren't working for them. Probably frustration from all the holding penalties called on them (along with that, there could have been A LOT more holding penalties called on the Terps in the 4th quarter; seemed like they almost got tired of calling them).
-To me, it seems like they have quite a few of the same problems as Minnesota in terms of attracting that football fan base. Around DC, I hardly saw anyone wearing anything Maryland related.
-One cool thing I liked that they did: You buy a souvenir sized soda for $6, but then it had a sticker on it which allowed you 1 free refill that could be redeemed during the game.
-For band fans: their band was nothing special.

Football wise, it's not a must-see atmosphere compared to others in the conference. But I liken it to Northwestern in terms of it's a good trip to go on due to the big city factor. I literally could spend an entire day in simply the War exhibit in the American History museum. But I didn't run in to one bad Maryland fan, a few welcomed me for making the trip, and while I think some of their fan base is disappointed in the tradition they lost leaving the ACC, I think the football fan base is excited that they're going to get to see Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State & Michigan State on the schedule yearly, with most likely 2 of them being at home.

That's impressive! How long have you been working on that? Ever do more than one per season? Have you ranked them yet? (Full of questions aren't I :confused:).

13 is impressive. Illinois in 2 weeks will be my 9th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also impressive. Same questions to you...:cool:

1. PSU
2. NE
3. MI
4. WI (been many times)
5. IA (been many times)
6. MN (been many many times [emoji3])
7. jNU (been a few times)
8. PU

IL will be #9
MSU, IN, tOSU, MD, RU my order of preference to knock them all down. IL will also be #6 for my 13-year old son. I would also like to get to all with him at some point.

I made the trip and had a blast. I've now seen OSU, PSU, and Maryland. I've got a ways to go to catch Mrs. BMG who has also seen Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, and Purdue. We are hitting Michigan next year.

Word has it the Gopher fan turnout was good.

Word is right, great turnout. As far as overall experience with location, stuff to see etc, it was great....DC. As far as on campus and the stadium, it was poor. OK stadium but no pre-game bars nearby. I have been to 60 to 64 road games since the early 80's and I would say I would go back again.

That's impressive! How long have you been working on that? Ever do more than one per season? Have you ranked them yet? (Full of questions aren't I :confused:).

2000 & 2001 was when I made most of them happen. Life's a little easier before a GF/Wife, then kids, then other responsibilities.

Minnesota
Wisconsin: 92, 96, 98, 00, 02, 04, 14
Iowa: 99, 01, 03, 07, 15
Nebraska: 12
Northwestern: 99, 01 (random game vs. Iowa in 12)
Illinois: 01
Purdue: 00
Indiana: 00
Michigan: 01
Michigan State: 02
Ohio State: 00, 02
Penn State: 03
Maryland: 16

It was an official UMAA trip. Plus the DC area must have quite a few alums. Having Maryland in the conference gives them a great chance to see the Gophers live.

I buy season tickets. I am not an alum. I guess that is why I don't hear about some of these trips I ... wouldn't mind hearing about.

It seems like there are a couple groups that cover similar territory but aren't in contact with each group.

Like OP, these are ranked on my overall experience, including day before and/or after in the city (if I stayed)...not just the stadium, game atmosphere, etc.

1. Citrus Bowl
2. Music City Bowl
3. Nebraska
4. Michigan
5. Iowa
6. Northwestern
7. Illinois
8. Indiana

Great trip overall. Would add Maryland to my list of stadiums like Northwestern where you should NOT buy tickets through the gopher office because you can get much cheaper tickets and still sit next to all the gopher fans in the completely empty section next to where they put the visitors.

Great trip overall. Would add Maryland to my list of stadiums like Northwestern where you should NOT buy tickets through the gopher office because you can get much cheaper tickets and still sit next to all the gopher fans in the completely empty section next to where they put the visitors.

Totally agree. Got two ninth row tickets on the 40 yard line behind the Gopher bench for $40 including fees.

Last year I bought tix to Iowa on the 20, 20th row from the Iowa Ticket Office for about 2/3 of what the Gopher ticket office wanted me to pay for crappy row 78 tix. I have been to many road games but have learned to never buy them through the Gopher Ticket Office.

Last year I bought tix to Iowa on the 20, 20th row from the Iowa Ticket Office for about 2/3 of what the Gopher ticket office wanted me to pay for crappy row 78 tix. I have been to many road games but have learned to never buy them through the Gopher Ticket Office.

It seems to be a college football wide issue. Super high profile matchups aside, I see this advice for pretty much every team when it comes to traveling.

Top Bottom