Fun read: Ten takeaways from Wisconsin's embarrassing 23-16 loss to Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Badgers Wire:

Wisconsin's secondary struggled mightily​

Minnesota’s backup quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis torched Wisconsin’s secondary late as it was the Gophers passing attack that turned the tide. Despite Mo Ibrahim and the running game leading Minnesota all year, Wisconsin’s secondary couldn’t stop the passing game.

Athan Kaliakmanis made massive throws​

The freshman from Illinois deserves a ton of credit despite Wisconsin’s secondary struggling to contain Minnesota. Kaliakmanis made a ton of massive throws, finishing 19-29 with 319 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Even more importantly, he took care of the football.

Go Gophers!!

Right. When the Badgers lose, it's embarrassing. Okey dokey. So two years in a row embarrassing?

If this game was "embarrassing", I wonder what they called getting curb-stomped by Illinois at Camp Randall by 24 points? Their average margin of defeat in their 5 losses was 17 points

Right. When the Badgers lose, it's embarrassing. Okey dokey. So two years in a row embarrassing?

If this game was "embarrassing", I wonder what they called getting curb-stomped by Illinois at Camp Randall by 24 points? Their average margin of defeat in their 5 losses was 17 points
It probably is embarrassing to the Badgers considering at one point this century they won the Axe 14 years in a row.

They called losing to the Illini by 24 at home "Fire the Coach Now Embarrassing!" And they did.

It probably is embarrassing to the Badgers considering at one point this century they won the Axe 14 years in a row.

They called losing to the Illini by 24 at home "Fire the Coach Now Embarrassing!" And they did.

Yes, they fired the coach after losing to Illinois. Now that the replacement coach lost an "embarrassing" game to Minnesota, will they knee-jerk their way to a third coach?

Yes, they fired the coach after losing to Illinois. Now that the replacement coach lost an "embarrassing" game to Minnesota, will they knee-jerk their way to a third coach?
Hey Murray, you'll recall that we had a thread here specifically praising that 'knee-jerk' move as BOLD, and the general hope was that U of MN would do something similar.

I’m surprised they seem so married to hiring Leonard here but I think it’s good for us.

Hey Murray, you'll recall that we had a thread here specifically praising that 'knee-jerk' move as BOLD, and the general hope was that U of MN would do something similar.

That's exactly my point.

As a rule, I am suspicious of knee-jerk reactions. It will be very interesting to see how the firing of Chryst works out for Wisconsin. It may very well come back to bite them.

The end may have been embarrassing I suppose for the Fat Skunks with all the penalties, but the headline to me reflects the typical Wisco arrogance. It’s a RIVALRY

Collapse of an empire?

Nothing lasts forever - just ask Nebby. Miami et al

They are likely going to hire a guy who lost to both Minnesota and Iowa

And also Michigan state

But he beat northwestern, Maryland, Nebraska, and Purdue so I guess it’s a wash.

Collapse of an empire?

Nothing lasts forever - just ask Nebby. Miami et al
Hiring the current interim coach is a risky proposition.
If they hire him and it doesn’t work out, I think the dream is dead
If they hire outside they probably get two hires before you can pronounce the dream is dead

That's exactly my point.

As a rule, i am suspicious of knee-jerk reactions. It will be very interesting to see how the firing of Chryst works out for Wisconsin. It may very well come back to bite them.
Yes, and it was a very good point,. I didn't write my post very well. I 100% agree with you!

My take aways.
- Gophers looked loose. Nice to see the offense opened up.
- AK8 looked great. Kid can pass when given the chance. Mertz is not a good QB.
- Kudos to coaches for changing it up. Not just offense, but we were aggressive on ST too. It didn’t work out as well, but loved seeing them give thi kids a chance.
- That 4-penalty series at the end was wild. Never seen anything quite like that. The Wisky fans were loosing their minds.
- Sad to see MO’s streak end. What a warrior he has been. Maybe a bit of passing the torch yesterday tho.
- Camp Randal is still a great place to watch football. The stadium itself is a dump, but the atmosphere is fantastic. We have a long ways to go here.

Hiring the current interim coach is a risky proposition.
If they hire him and it doesn’t work out, I think the dream is dead
If they hire outside they probably get two hires before you can pronounce the dream is dead
Some insiders on the Wisconsin board are saying Chryst was going to give it up at the end of the year. He was going to walk off into the sunset.

Nebraska was buzzing around the current Wisconsin head coach and so Bucky made the move early.

Mertz delivered as only he does throwing the INT pick by Walley. Was complaining mightily to Mrs. Billd and Kiddo that Mertz was not doing his part and FINALLY he met expectations. He is likely done if fans have any influence on the future QB decision.

Some insiders on the Wisconsin board are saying Chryst was going to give it up at the end of the year. He was going to walk off into the sunset.

Nebraska was buzzing around the current Wisconsin head coach and so Bucky made the move early.

It's interesting that they haven't made it official as of yet.

Mertz delivered as only he does throwing the INT pick by Walley. Was complaining mightily to Mrs. Billd and Kiddo that Mertz was not doing his part and FINALLY he met expectations. He is likely done if fans have any influence on the future QB decision.

Fire the coach, bench the QB... always popular with fans, and always a winning formula.

My take aways.
- Gophers looked loose. Nice to see the offense opened up.
- AK8 looked great. Kid can pass when given the chance. Mertz is not a good QB.
- Kudos to coaches for changing it up. Not just offense, but we were aggressive on ST too. It didn’t work out as well, but loved seeing them give thi kids a chance.
- That 4-penalty series at the end was wild. Never seen anything quite like that. The Wisky fans were loosing their minds.
- Sad to see MO’s streak end. What a warrior he has been. Maybe a bit of passing the torch yesterday tho.
- Camp Randal is still a great place to watch football. The stadium itself is a dump, but the atmosphere is fantastic. We have a long ways to go here.

1999. Gophers vs. Wisconsin in the Dome. Overtime. Wisconsin scores a field goal first. The Gophs get the ball and move backwards on a combination of penalties and broken plays. They never even get a field goal attempt off. Gophs would have tied for the BG10 championship that year if not for that loss.

That Gopher fail was on my mind as Wisconsin imploded yesterday. It felt wonderful to be on the opposite side of that.

1999. Gophers vs. Wisconsin in the Dome. Overtime. Wisconsin scores a field goal first. The Gophs get the ball and move backwards on a combination of penalties and broken plays. They never even get a field goal attempt off. Gophs would have tied for the BG10 championship that year if not for that loss.

That Gopher fail was on my mind as Wisconsin imploded yesterday. It felt wonderful to be on the opposite side of that.
Everyone remembers 2003, fewer people remember that’s how close 1999 was

Several of us here at Gopher Hole said it at the time: this might be Wisconsin's Bo Pellini moment.
It could also be Bielema type moment. As a Gopher fan, hopefully an SEC version instead of Big 10.

Can we talk about how satisfying our offense was to watch. I know Mo didn't perform up to his season standard because he seemed pretty banged up but my gosh the passing game made our offense fun to watch for once. I understand the usual run run run was working for most games but it will put you to sleep, I forgot what explosive plays look like. Everyone for once looked like they were having fun

Wright looked like he was enjoying the game for once. Hopefully he will stay because of the performance today...

Can we talk about how satisfying our offense was to watch. I know Mo didn't perform up to his season standard because he seemed pretty banged up but my gosh the passing game made our offense fun to watch for once. I understand the usual run run run was working for most games but it will put you to sleep, I forgot what explosive plays look like. Everyone for once looked like they were having fun

Wright looked like he was enjoying the game for once. Hopefully he will stay because of the performance today...
He and CRAB on the outside with Jackson/Brockington in the slot sure sounds fun

Maybe.

Top Bottom