Fulmer

Chubby4Tubby

Reaction score
Sorry if I've missed this being discussed before but I don't think I've heard it mentioned. Why hasn't Phillip Fulmer's name come up more in coach searches? He did a great job at Tennessee winning two SEC championships and winning the first ever BCS title game. Also known for being one of the nations top recruiters and he's said he'd love to re-enter coaching college football so I'm just curious why his name hasn't come up more.

Read a blog that speculates that TN has contacted Fulmer

Not for the football coach job but for the AD position. This would not bode well for there current AD who hired Kiffin.

Recruiter?

Sorry if I've missed this being discussed before but I don't think I've heard it mentioned. Why hasn't Phillip Fulmer's name come up more in coach searches? He did a great job at Tennessee winning two SEC championships and winning the first ever BCS title game. Also known for being one of the nations top recruiters and he's said he'd love to re-enter coaching college football so I'm just curious why his name hasn't come up more.

I live down here and people got tired of "mediocracy." UT is a top 10 football school, and finishing 7-6 or 6-6 is waaaaay below standards for the amount of money put into the program. When you have 109k showing up for every home game and and unlimited budget, you need to finish in the top 15 every year. He had a few bad seasons in a row and did NOT recruit well, that is what finally buried him. The kids that came in did so because its Tennessee, not because of Fulmer.

Probably because people saw his "acting" in The Blind Side and thought, "I can't have someone who is that poor of an actor as my head coach."

The main reason that no headlining programs have looked his way is because he will be 60 years old by the time the season starts. Not saying that is ancient, but to roll the dice on a 60-year old is pretty risky for any elite program. If he doesn't return to TN, I could see him pulling a Solich or Coker and finishing his career in the MAC or Sun Belt or Southland.

Top Bottom