Full Recap of Board of Regents Chair Dean Johnson Interview on KFAN

BleedGopher

Reaction score
These notes are not verbatim, but close from afternoon interview with Dean Johnson on the Bumper to Bumper show:

- There is a saying that the "buck stops here" and I take some responsibility. This goes down to me, to the President, to the AD to the coaches to the players to the young woman. We learn and move on.

- Most of the players thought when the police didn't file the charges they thought this was over. They didn't realize the University was still doing the student code of conduct investigation. That wasn't communicated to the players in the most clear way. That was confusing for the public, the players and the University community. That is important to remember.

- Yesterday's meeting with President Kaler, Coyle and Regents we talked about crisis management and messaging. How do you manage and message these instances going forward. That is very important to learn. The public has a right to know what in fact is occurring. The two things we talked about yesterday is as we move into January the hearings of the alleged 10 players, their attorneys will plea their case. There will be 30 days to render an opinion. The second thing we talked about was Coach Claeys, his tenure. He's an honorable human being he and his staff have done great things here which makes this difficult. I asked Coyle to give me some plus and minuses. Graduation has gone up, GPAs have gone up. Team was 9-4. That's good. On the concern side the fact that recruiting services tell us we're 14 of 14 in recruiting in the Big Ten. We lost about 6,200 season ticket holders. That is in part due to raising season ticket prices. In that discussion as Regents it's not our job, it's our job to govern. Coyle said on behalf of the University it would be best to change leadership of the program. I went out and took a drink of water. The decision was made to move forward at that time.

- People are angry, people are pleased. Lessons learned, how do we move forward. Moving forward will be Mr. Coyle visiting to attract a new coach. I think the sooner the better for recruiting and stabilization of the team. We also talked about soft landing. When you get disappointing news, Tracy Claeys will receive $500,000 and the assistants will get a year of salary and benefits.

- My wife and I traveled to San Diego to the bowl game. Nothing but respect for the entire team and coaches. They played their coaches and won the bowl game. I think what Mr. Coyle was alleging is what happened on September 2. That kind of activity in culture and conduct we cannot accept at the University of Minnesota. We need more mentoring, monitoring and sensitivity training. We need to address the issue of binge drinking. We need to care for one another. Think of you sending your son and daughter to Minneapolis, apartment or dorm and there isn't much supervision. That needs to change, to care for one another. To coach at this level is more than just coaching, it's making sure your athletes are going to class, not getting in trouble, mentoring them, gain a diploma. That's all part of being a coach today.

- There was missed communications when Coach Claeys sent his tweet. I tell young people to be careful what you tweet, text as it gets you in trouble. I believe in my heart of hearts that Coach Claeys meant to stand up for his team that didn't include the 10 players. But it looked like he was sticking up for the 10. They did not feel that due process and they were being heard. That is a communications issue.

- Bear in mind that among the 10 players, different allegations are against different players. That's why the hearing is so important so each player can answer their side of the story.

- I do not know what the availability of the 81-page report to Kaler, Coyle and Claeys. I expect that all three had access to it but I do not know that as a fact.

- #1 priority of the Board of Regents is to hire and hold our President accountable. President Kaler is in his 6th year at the University which is 4th or 5th in tenure in the Big Ten. We have an annual performance review in May where we get feedback on the President and the three of us in leadership from the Board sit down with him. The last 12 months or so have been a blemish on the athletic department. We are now in the same category with Penn State, Baylor and Stanford. My resolution is to get the athletic department off the front pages of the papers unless we win a championship. We have to turn this around.

Go Gophers!!

- #1 priority of the Board of Regents is to hire and hold our President accountable. President Kaler is in his 6th year at the University which is 4th or 5th in tenure in the Big Ten. We have an annual performance review in May where we get feedback on the President and the three of us in leadership from the Board sit down with him. The last 12 months or so have been a blemish on the athletic department. We are now in the same category with Penn State, Baylor and Stanford. My resolution is to get the athletic department off the front pages of the papers unless we win a championship. We have to turn this around.

Go Gophers!!

Seat just got hot for Prexy K.

After reading this. . . we're screwed, seriously.

Comparing our situation with Baylor? Are you kidding me?

Coyle in firing the coach checks rivals.com? Really? On a year when we are playing a ton of really talented freshmen.

We're screwed. This is lunacy.

It's very simple, Claeys was set up to fail and expected to at the bowl by Coyle instead of being let go when the boycott happened. He didn't, and was made a scapegoat. It looks bad for everyone. Coyle decided against Claeys as he thought he could bring someone in better. I believe whoever they bring in has two years to fix it or Coyle and Kaler are out based on what Dean Johnson said on KFAN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, at least he went out for a drink of water before he came back in and fired him.

"I went out and took a drink of water. The decision was made to move forward at that time." Really, they don't have a pitcher of water in the conference room? If you're going to make up an excuse for how you skipped your responsibility and weren't around when the decision was made, at least come up with a creative reason.

Well, at least he went out for a drink of water before he came back in and fired him.

Ha..!! Funny. The BOR asked Coyle for his recommendation and that is what Coyle stated he wanted to do. The new hire will either make or break Kaler/Coyle going forward I believe. Kaler going to Chicago with Coyle says quite a bit about how the BOR are looking at this going forward.

Coyle in firing the coach checks rivals.com? Really? On a year when we are playing a ton of really talented freshmen.

Yup to all you have written

If you fired him because of recruiting, you should have fired him a month ago. This should not have been delayed till yesterday under any circumstances.

"I went out and took a drink of water. The decision was made to move forward at that time." Really, they don't have a pitcher of water in the conference room? If you're going to make up an excuse for how you skipped your responsibility and weren't around when the decision was made, at least come up with a creative reason.

He said he gulped when he heard Coyle decided to fire Claeys and went out and got a drink of water. I assume it was to gather his thoughts but don't be saying, "Skipped your responsibility."

Barreiro did a good job asking the right questions, and Johnson did a good job of answering them as well as he could. My take away that, "We have to turn this around," is as ominous for Kaler as Coyle's meeting to discuss "expectations" was for Claeys. No idea regarding Coyle. Barreiro tried to get him to state on whether he believed Coyle or Claeys was lying about supporting the decision to suspend, but Johnson wouldn't bite.

Very good recap, Bleed.

The administration is using recruiting sites to judge the performance of a coach and his staff? Wow, they are even more inept than I thought possible.

The administration is using recruiting sites to judge the performance of a coach and his staff? Wow, they are even more inept than I thought possible.

Well, I guess this puts an end to the debate of whether recruiting sites rankings matter. In our case, it's one of the criteria our Board of Regent used to fire our coach!

Go Gophers!!

. Comparing our situation with Baylor? Are you kidding me?

Those are the two things that jumped out to me as well. I don't know how you can put Minnesota in the same category as Baylor and Penn State. That's mind blowing.

And Coyle is giving the regents recruiting rankings? That's a reach, he must really have wanted Claeys gone. I hope he at least explained to the regents what the dots mean.

He's a former military guy and politician. He knew exactly what he was doing. Same for this interview...both signaling to Kaler that support from him is tenuous.

Well, I guess this puts an end to the debate of whether recruiting sites rankings matter. In our case, it's one of the criteria our Board of Regent used to fire our coach!

Go Gophers!!

Recruiting sites and physique. . .

I have no idea why we aren't more successful.

And Penn State ? Where a member of the coaching staff molested young boys and higher-ups covered it up ? Really ?

If you fired him because of recruiting, you should have fired him a month ago. This should not have been delayed till yesterday under any circumstances.

Exactly. They will keep saying all those things were the reason but if so, then he should have been let go after the Wisconsin game.

We are the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

He said he gulped when he heard Coyle decided to fire Claeys and went out and got a drink of water. I assume it was to gather his thoughts but don't be saying, "Skipped your responsibility."

Barreiro did a good job asking the right questions, and Johnson did a good job of answering them as well as he could. My take away that, "We have to turn this around," is as ominous for Kaler as Coyle's meeting to discuss "expectations" was for Claeys. No idea regarding Coyle. Barreiro tried to get him to state on whether he believed Coyle or Claeys was lying about supporting the decision to suspend, but Johnson wouldn't bite.

Very good recap, Bleed.
+1

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Yeah that was a very strange thing to say. I believe he was trying to say it was a tough call for him to make and he wanted to abstain from supporting it.

Do you think he has a paid subscription? Could Coyle actually be Wren???!?

Damnit, Coyle!!!! Don't you know those 40's were legit and not hand timed!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm just dense, but did the guy just not want to go on record as dissenting from the decision to fire him, hence the stupid drink of water comment? If not, why not, but then go do a lengthy interview about the issues?

Recruiting sites and physique. . .

I have no idea why we aren't more successful.

Ratings from recruiting sites as evidence to fire the coach ...

Is that the sophistication of the evaluations? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Players like Maxx Williams, BBC , Eric Murray and Damien Wilson had really low ratings when we recruited them.

Come on man ....

They obviously love Brewster.

Top Bottom