FSU or LaTech - The Devil we know, or the one we don't

Gopher Bandanna Guy

Irascible Skeptic
Reaction score
So who is our preferred matchup for the next game?

A quick rundown of their season schedule shows that they score a lot of points, and have some beat some Tourney teams (@Oklahoma, split season series with Tulsa). In terms of common opponents, they also split with Southern Miss, and lost to St. Mary's (early).

Roster-wise, LaTech seems to be a pretty balanced scoring team, (4 guys in double figures, play 9 deep), and balanced floor time (8 guys averaging over 20 mpg), with good veterancy (7 of those 8 are junior or seniors). Appear to have decent sized guards, but not a lot of size in the frontcourt.

Obviously, we know FSU, and beat them at home earlier this year. They are clearly a more battle-tested team, slogging in the ACC, and playing a much higher caliber of opponent regularly. To contrast LaTech, FSU appears to turn the ball over a bit more and are younger overall. Translation to me is that they are more talented, but error-prone. They are also much, much bigger in the frontcourt than LaTech.

I've no idea the motivation levels of either team, but at this point in the NIT, it is probably safe to assume that both teams are playing hard now, given how far they've made it to date.

Thoughts?

I'm cheering for LA Tech for similar reasons I wanted Southern Miss over Missouri.

You never know if you'll get a good FSU or bad FSU. I would guess LA Tech is much closer to what you see is what you'll get. I think the ceiling for how well Florida State COULD play is much higher than that of LA Tech.

Even though we've beaten them once, it was at home. We have struggled with more athletic teams though and haven't turned over teams a lot, even if we should.

I would prefer to play LA Tech as well for many of the same reasons above. You really never know what FSU team shows up. Also figure that since we beat them earlier in the season (and second time in two years I believe?), that they will have some extra motivation to come out with some fire.

I'm tired of playing FSU. We beat them at their place last year, beat them at our place this year. We don't need to play them again. La Tech doesn't really excite me either. I'd have liked to have gotten SMU in the semi's and then somebody like Cal in the finals.

FSU it is. Although they certainly did not look like the better team tonight, LA tech was playing some inspired ball. It was 76-68 FSU leading with 41 seconds to go and LA Tech was able to fight there way back into it somehow. LA Tech even had a chance to tie at the buzzer after two horrible free throws misses by the FSU player that could have iced the game, ending it at 78-75.

After watching this game in the second half, I actually like our chances against FSU more than against LA Tech (even though we have played them twice over the past two years).

Beat FSU. I want SMU in the finals. Twin Cities media will continue to spit all over the NIT, but Larry Brown vs. Young Mr. Pitino would intrigue me.

Beat FSU. I want SMU in the finals. Twin Cities media will continue to spit all over the NIT, but Larry Brown vs. Young Mr. Pitino would intrigue me.

I sat across the aisle from Larry Brown at the Loveland, Co dog track. Late 70's. He was coach of the Nuggets and was a regular at the dog tracks. I wonder if he still is.

Beating FSU would be a nice win in that they were one of the first 4 out along with of course, SMU, who was most people's pick for biggest snub, although a lot of people also felt the Gopher's got slighted as well, so it seems that 2 of the "first 4 out" teams are heading to Madison Square Garden, so far. I know SMU was one of those "first 4 out" teams as well, I'm not sure about Cali, but they would be a good matchup as well, but I'd much prefer SMU.

Was kinda hoping to see Justin Cobbs Cal team keep it going (always liked that kid).

The Larry Brown vs. Lil' P angle isn't bad, but first things first, let's beat FSU!

Top Bottom