FSN Position Preview: Minnesota is unsettled at most special teams spots

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Head coach Jerry Kill: "With Mortell, Christian Eldred, Orseske and Santoso, those punters, that's four guys we've got to find out who's going to be the guy that can punt that ball on a consistent basis and try to put them under pressure as much as we can to make it like a game day to figure that out. But there's nothing like a game day. We've got competition there, at kicker with Chris Hawthorne, (Andrew) Harte's coming in, a young man from Illinois. ... I think those things are all yet to be determined in camp. Those kids will all get an opportunity."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...ockID=924993&feedID=5930#.UfkWx_V1tOk.twitter

Go Gophers!!

This is the area of the team that scares me the most. If the kicking and punting remain inconsistent (or just downright bad), that could make the difference between a good season and a disappointing season.

With the offense moving to more of a ball-control running game, field position is going to be essential. The punting has to be better, and I hope Kill will put the best punter out there - regardless of age or experience. Shoot - if they can find some kid playing intermural flag FB who can punt better than what they had last year, put 'em on the team.

With the FG kicking -I put more emphasis on accuracy as opposed to distance. This team needs to come away with points whenever they get in range - cannot afford to miss chip shots.

This is the area of the team that scares me the most. If the kicking and punting remain inconsistent (or just downright bad), that could make the difference between a good season and a disappointing season.

With the offense moving to more of a ball-control running game, field position is going to be essential. The punting has to be better, and I hope Kill will put the best punter out there - regardless of age or experience. Shoot - if they can find some kid playing intermural flag FB who can punt better than what they had last year, put 'em on the team.

With the FG kicking -I put more emphasis on accuracy as opposed to distance. This team needs to come away with points whenever they get in range - cannot afford to miss chip shots.

I believe the coaches would agree with you on everything.

Top Bottom