FSN: Kill trying to raise Gophers' confidence before battle with No. 16 Wildcats

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Jerry Kill has worn many hats in his five seasons as the Minnesota Gophers' head coach.

These days, Kill is a part-time sports psychologist.

Yes, Kill's Gophers currently possess a respectable, 3-1 record. Yet, Minnesota's players have heard criticism around town in the wake of two straight narrow wins over MAC teams. Thus, Kill has had to boost his team's self-esteem recently.

"We're 3-1, but I don't think sometimes (Minnesota players) feel like we're 3-1," Kill said on Tuesday, "so we've got to make sure they understand that we've got a good football team."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...ts-ncaa-big-ten-kill-quietly-confident-092915

Go Gophers!!

2 things, if the players are struggling to handle this level of raised expectations and the scrutiny that comes with it, how are they going to handle things when those expectations continue to go up year after year?

And second, in the final line of the story Kill makes the comment that we are a young team. Will we ever hit a point where we aren't a young team?

Really looking forward to the start of conference play to get an actual read on where this team is at right now. Non-conf always tends to leave more questions than answers in terms of how good a team is going to be.

per FSN:

Jerry Kill has worn many hats in his five seasons as the Minnesota Gophers' head coach.

These days, Kill is a part-time sports psychologist.

Yes, Kill's Gophers currently possess a respectable, 3-1 record. Yet, Minnesota's players have heard criticism around town in the wake of two straight narrow wins over MAC teams. Thus, Kill has had to boost his team's self-esteem recently.

"We're 3-1, but I don't think sometimes (Minnesota players) feel like we're 3-1," Kill said on Tuesday, "so we've got to make sure they understand that we've got a good football team."

http://www.foxsports.com/north/stor...ts-ncaa-big-ten-kill-quietly-confident-092915

Go Gophers!!

This probably explains why Leidner went in front of reporters and said that we should be ranked.

2 things, if the players are struggling to handle this level of raised expectations and the scrutiny that comes with it, how are they going to handle things when those expectations continue to go up year after year?

And second, in the final line of the story Kill makes the comment that we are a young team. Will we ever hit a point where we aren't a young team?

Really looking forward to the start of conference play to get an actual read on where this team is at right now. Non-conf always tends to leave more questions than answers in terms of how good a team is going to be.

Exactly. For the first couple years of Kill's tenure, it seemed like a constant drum beat of "We are soooooo young," every time he stepped up to a podium. Now, 5 seasons in... we are young. I love Kill and hope he coaches here for a long, long time. I will say, like any relationship, I feel like this far along I am starting to get a read on his weak points. I do think he could grow some thicker skin when it comes to media and fan concerns (tired of his references to being "fired"). I also wonder if he is a bit behind the conservative offensive play overall. I remember NDSU scoring a defensive touchdown in the final seconds of their last visit to Minnesota. It seems as though the Gophers have played not to screw up late in the first half of many games since then (example: Missouri in the bowl game last season).

Oh, and it is interesting that Minnesota has gone from the little engine that could, over the past two years - to entering this season with big expectations by the fans and media. Just look at TCF Bank Stadium. Despite a rise in ticket prices the last three games have featured three of the best crowds since the facility opened. But, the team has faced a LOT of injuries and anyone watching this team knows that there are signs the team could be facing the first set of missed fan expectations since Kill's arrival. If it turns out that way Kill is going to have to mature in terms of how he is interacting with the media, and sky-is-falling Gopherhole mouth breathers would benefit from holding off a while before they demand firings and posting threads about "_____ is not a Division 1 ____"

Been a very long time since the expectations were this high for a Gopher football team. No player on the team has been in this situation. I would imagine all our young players (who are better than many of our older players) will get used to the pressure as they mature.

And as long as our recruiting gets better year after year we will keep being young. Once we level out (hopefully in a couple years) as a top 25 recruiting class every year, we will get more balance.

Once we level out (hopefully in a couple years) as a top 25 recruiting class every year, we will get more balance.

that would be something. Only tOSU and Michigan, maybe NE are in that category from the bigten?

We now have a recruit coming next year who, when asked about the cold weather in MN responded with: "It's cold in the NFL". With more talent coming in comes more "swag" and confidence. A player who gives a response like that surely has high expectations for himself and for the team he is joining next year.

Exactly. For the first couple years of Kill's tenure, it seemed like a constant drum beat of "We are soooooo young," every time he stepped up to a podium. Now, 5 seasons in... we are young. I love Kill and hope he coaches here for a long, long time. I will say, like any relationship, I feel like this far along I am starting to get a read on his weak points. I do think he could grow some thicker skin when it comes to media and fan concerns (tired of his references to being "fired"). I also wonder if he is a bit behind the conservative offensive play overall. I remember NDSU scoring a defensive touchdown in the final seconds of their last visit to Minnesota. It seems as though the Gophers have played not to screw up late in the first half of many games since then (example: Missouri in the bowl game last season).

Oh, and it is interesting that Minnesota has gone from the little engine that could, over the past two years - to entering this season with big expectations by the fans and media. Just look at TCF Bank Stadium. Despite a rise in ticket prices the last three games have featured three of the best crowds since the facility opened. But, the team has faced a LOT of injuries and anyone watching this team knows that there are signs the team could be facing the first set of missed fan expectations since Kill's arrival. If it turns out that way Kill is going to have to mature in terms of how he is interacting with the media, and sky-is-falling Gopherhole mouth breathers would benefit from holding off a while before they demand firings and posting threads about "_____ is not a Division 1 ____"

Part of that line of logic could be the youngsters are taking the place of the injured.

Part of that line of logic could be the youngsters are taking the place of the injured.

I think this is what he is referring to. As it stands right now, we are pretty young because we have so many experienced guys injured.

that would be something. Only tOSU and Michigan, maybe NE are in that category from the bigten?

Penn State was there pre-Sandusky and look like they're back. Their last 3 classes have all been top 25. Michigan State is close as well.

We are very young at the skill positions on offense. The likes of Jones, Gentry, Holland, Still, Gant, Smith, Brooks have three more years after this season. Two more years of Eric Carter. None of the TE's are Seniors. ML7 will be back next year then will have Croft/ the Michigan kid. Not to mention Dredrick Snelson coming in next year, who I am guessing had the It's cold in the NFL quote. Will be young on the Oline next year, but the class coming in and this past class we've brought in some talent there.

My sentiments, exactly! Especially on Kill hankering the play calling and playing 'not to lose', such as the bowl game.

We are very young at the skill positions on offense. The likes of Jones, Gentry, Holland, Still, Gant, Smith, Brooks have three more years after this season. Two more years of Eric Carter. None of the TE's are Seniors. ML7 will be back next year then will have Croft/ the Michigan kid. Not to mention Dredrick Snelson coming in next year, who I am guessing had the It's cold in the NFL quote. Will be young on the Oline next year, but the class coming in and this past class we've brought in some talent there.

All teams play some underclassmen. Our primary receivers are Maye (Sr), Wolitarsky (Jr), and Carter (Soph). Roderick Williams (Sr.) was expected to be our primary RB but has been outplayed by 2 freshman. Our O-line is made up of 3 seniors (Campion, Bjorklund, Bobek), 1 junior (Pirsig), and a sophomore. Our QB is a redshirt junior with multiple years of experience. Our TE's are sophomore due to some injuries.

We aren't a young team, but I think some of the freshmen skill position players have more potential than the upperclassmen. That's a result of better recruiting.

All teams play some underclassmen. Our primary receivers are Maye (Sr), Wolitarsky (Jr), and Carter (Soph). Roderick Williams (Sr.) was expected to be our primary RB but has been outplayed by 2 freshman. Our O-line is made up of 3 seniors (Campion, Bjorklund, Bobek), 1 junior (Pirsig), and a sophomore. Our QB is a redshirt junior with multiple years of experience. Our TE's are sophomore due to some injuries.

We aren't a young team, but I think some of the freshmen skill position players have more potential than the upperclassmen. That's a result of better recruiting.
Call it whatever you want, but if the guys on the field are young than the team therefore is young. I do think they're talented and we have experience on the line and under center, probably the most important spots to have it, when healthy. At the skill positions we only lose KJ Maye off this year's team. Everyone else is coming back.

From 13Gopher post: We now have a recruit coming next year who, when asked about the cold weather in MN responded with: "It's cold in the NFL".
What a great quote, who said this?
Originally, probably the Minnesota coach that was recruiting the recruit or player that quoted it.
But, it's a true statement.

H
Exactly. For the first couple years of Kill's tenure, it seemed like a constant drum beat of "We are soooooo young," every time he stepped up to a podium. Now, 5 seasons in... we are young. I love Kill and hope he coaches here for a long, long time. I will say, like any relationship, I feel like this far along I am starting to get a read on his weak points. I do think he could grow some thicker skin when it comes to media and fan concerns (tired of his references to being "fired").
Yeah, well, he could've probably added that "we suck" to the "we're so young" comment in the early years, but what coach would do that. So now, he's saying we're young where young players have been forced to replace upperclass injured players. What's not accurate about that? What's "thin-skinned" about pointing that out? I'm reminded of the old saying "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer". I'm not referring to your comments, but am saying that you have to look at what Kill was being asked.

I don't think confidence is a problem with this team. The article has tried to make a total team psyche out of a two sentence quote.

Don't over think it.

Yes but having over half your yards come from freshmen means the offense at the skill positions is pretty young, a lot younger than JK was thinking his offense was going to be this season. Not sure how he missed it but he did.

Yes but having over half your yards come from freshmen means the offense at the skill positions is pretty young, a lot younger than JK was thinking his offense was going to be this season. Not sure how he missed it but he did.

As long as we are on the rise and continuing to bring in better talent every year, we will be young. When we are not young we will have plateaued or headed the other way.

Would you rather be MN at 3-1 and everyone saying you're not very good or Michigan at 3-1 and people saying you're going to beat tOSU?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As long as we are on the rise and continuing to bring in better talent every year, we will be young. When we are not young we will have plateaued or headed the other way.

Obviously if you are bringing in elite talent year after year then you expect them to see the field early but I would think at the programs that are successful on a consistent basis the bulk of their roster is made up of experienced upperclassmen with the high end young guys sprinkled in.

Top Bottom