FSN: Jerry Kill's coaching staff gaining comfort, confidence at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Kill on his third year at Minnesota: "I feel pretty much like probably somewhere between my second and third year at Northern and Southern Illinois. ... I'd say pretty much like our second year at Northern Illinois. I feel good about the shift in what the kids are doing. ... I think they have worked hard. It all starts academically and it all starts with being able to keep the players eligible, all those kind of things. There's a lot more to it than football. We've taken great strides in that. We won more games last year, went to a bowl game. What's the next step? The next step is we need to keep climbing the mountain. We need to keep getting better."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...taff-gaining-comfo?blockID=925365&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Coach Kill.............

per FSN:

Kill on his third year at Minnesota: "I feel pretty much like probably somewhere between my second and third year at Northern and Southern Illinois. ... I'd say pretty much like our second year at Northern Illinois. I feel good about the shift in what the kids are doing. ... I think they have worked hard. It all starts academically and it all starts with being able to keep the players eligible, all those kind of things. There's a lot more to it than football. We've taken great strides in that. We won more games last year, went to a bowl game. What's the next step? The next step is we need to keep climbing the mountain. We need to keep getting better."

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/colle...taff-gaining-comfo?blockID=925365&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

Very cool way to put it down. This season could be very crucial for Kill and staff. I predict signature wins over Iowa, Nebraska, and Becky. Go Gophers!!:clap:

I have noticed a recurring theme this year that Kill keeps wanting to equate this to year 2 even though this is year 3 for him and his staff. I assume it is because in year 3 at his other stops things have taken off so he is lowering expectations if that doesn't happen this year. Kill has been the opposite from Brew in that regard from the get go, Brew talked big and couldn't back it up, Kill talks small and if things work out he ends up looking great.

And before everyone gets pissed this is not meant as a dig at Kill, I have just seen multiple interviews where he has compared this season to year 2 at his other stops.

I think that's because he has mentioned that his first recruiting class was partially his, partially Brew's.

I have noticed a recurring theme this year that Kill keeps wanting to equate this to year 2 even though this is year 3 for him and his staff. I assume it is because in year 3 at his other stops things have taken off so he is lowering expectations if that doesn't happen this year. Kill has been the opposite from Brew in that regard from the get go, Brew talked big and couldn't back it up, Kill talks small and if things work out he ends up looking great.

And before everyone gets pissed this is not meant as a dig at Kill, I have just seen multiple interviews where he has compared this season to year 2 at his other stops.

Could it be that he saying that is where he feels the program at Minnesota is at this time? I am not to concern one way or the other but about this but it certainly sounds like he is happy where they are now. To me that is the important thing.

Kill has said numerous times that it has to do with recruiting. At this stage in his previous jobs, he had brought in 3 full recruiting classes. at MN, he's brought in 2 full classes. (after he was hired, he brought in a partial class, and honored some of the commitments from the previous coaching regime). You can argue with the logic, but apparently, he feels he needs 3 full recruiting classes in order to have his system completely in place.

People can try and spin I however they want but as MNVGUY indicated it is an attempt at lower expectations in year 3 at Minnesota and don't expect the same results as year 3 at previous stops.

People can try and spin I however they want but as MNVGUY indicated it is an attempt at lower expectations in year 3 at Minnesota and don't expect the same results as year 3 at previous stops.

Oh, but not so. He has been raising expectations like crazy. He keeps praising his players and allowing his coaches to do the same. He just told us the other day the the linebackers are going to be a strength instead of being the only weak spot on the defense. His statement about having had two recruiting classes should be interpreted in light of his clearly not trying to reduce our expectations.

Oh, but not so. He has been raising expectations like crazy. He keeps praising his players and allowing his coaches to do the same. He just told us the other day the the linebackers are going to be a strength instead of being the only weak spot on the defense. His statement about having had two recruiting classes should be interpreted in light of his clearly not trying to reduce our expectations.

+1 It is amazing how some people get their undies in a bundle over this. Man, we have some people who seem to be suffering from a bad case of "selective reading". He has stated from the beginning that from his perspective this is his second recruiting class. You don't have to agree with this but you might want to get over it. It is what it is.:horse:

This is becoming very, very interesting. Kill has absolutely raised expectations with his comments about the development of the team. He speaks of last year and the bowl game, then says that we must continue making progress and then praises the progress in almost every area over last year. He has never been a Brewster-like character promising the world. But he has been a successful coach in the past and he has basically told us that we are on schedule with his prior teams.

I'm excited and my expectations are for a really better year than last year and I believe it because coach Kill is telling me. I almost didn't post this because it seems goofy, but someone please explain to me how else to interpret what Coach Kill has said and is saying.

Killjoy you seem to be the only one with their "undies in a bundle" about it. All a couple people did was mentioned that to them it appears to be an attempt to lower expectations.

Or we could just go with the truth

Killjoy you seem to be the only one with their "undies in a bundle" about it. All a couple people did was mentioned that to them it appears to be an attempt to lower expectations. That certainly is Kill's right and don't have any problem with it. Just some of us don't agree with his logic. I know that doesn't fit with your Jerry Kill walks on water point of view.

He has only had two full recruiting classes of his own. It is a fact! It is a point of major importance to the timeline of the program. He is just stating a fact.

He is not lowering expectations. He is raising them He is telling us it is going to get better this year but wait until we have that third recruiting it will be even better.

Buy in or stay home....lol

This season is a real puzzle and one of the most interesting in a long time: could be anything from 3-8 to 7-5. It is a crucial test for the coaching staff and veteran players (of which there aren't a lot).

How healthy the Gophers are going down the stretch will determine the wins and loses. Let's hope two seasons of strength & conditioning and the change in culture will propel them to a 7-5 or better season.

Top Bottom