FSN: Gophers positional preview: Special teams

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per FSN:

Best position battle: Santoso's spot as the top kicker is by no means guaranteed, as he has yet to attempt a kick at the Division I level. Neither, though, have Harte or Juenemann. As a prep kicker in Illinois, Harte converted 112 consecutive extra points he attempted and was 13-of-18 on field goals as a senior. He connected on a 53-yarder during the Gophers' spring game, where Juenemann -- an all-state high school kicker in Kansas -- drilled a 35-yarder. Kicking drills usually don't draw much attention during fall camp, but this year could be an exception for Minnesota with three viable options fighting for the starting job.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/gophers-positional-preview-special-teams-073114

Go Gophers!!

Kicker and punt returner are the two spots I'm most concerned about. I think we have 3 good options at kicker and the competition will be good, but you just never know how things will turn out when all 3 haven't kicked a field goal in a game yet. I have to believe Marcus Jones is the favorite to be our punt returner, but his ability to judge and catch the ball scare me. Hopefully someone like KJ Maye or Craig James surprises and grabs that spot if Jones hasn't improved.

Top Bottom