FSN: 5 Things We Learned in Bowl Loss: Gophers largely show promise despite loss

BleedGopher

Reaction score
5. Despite the loss, Gophers fans can be optimistic about 2013.

Minnesota's loss was a tough way to cap the 2012 season, and a difficult way to end a career for the Gophers' seniors. But Gophers fans can be optimistic for what 2013 could bring for this team. Two years ago, Minnesota was coming off its second 3-9 season. At the beginning of this season, a bowl game was the goal for the Gophers. They accomplished that by going 6-6 in the regular season.

Minnesota loses a good group of seniors, but plenty of the Gophers' impact players will be returning. That includes running backs Donnell Kirkwood and Rodrick Williams, who combined for 137 yards and two touchdowns against Texas Tech. Nelson showed glimpses this year as a true freshman and made some big throws in Friday's game. And wide receiver Derrick Engel showed Friday that he can be a go-to target for Nelson, as he caught four passes for 108 yards, establishing career highs in both categories.

Kill has a history of turning around programs at his previous coaching stops — first at Southern Illinois, then at Northern Illinois. In just two seasons, he's taken Minnesota from a 3-9 team to a bowl game.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/12/29...nding_gophers.html?blockID=841453&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

I liked Nate's take on this. Always hard to end the season on a loss, but we saw some great things last night.

I liked Nate's take on this. Always hard to end the season on a loss, but we saw some great things last night.

I wouldn't mind his take on the game if I hadn't seen his twitter feed during. Made some pretty strange comments in my opinion.

But, still, have to agree with his article. Very well written.

Don't share the optimism

5. Despite the loss, Gophers fans can be optimistic about 2013.

Minnesota's loss was a tough way to cap the 2012 season, and a difficult way to end a career for the Gophers' seniors. But Gophers fans can be optimistic for what 2013 could bring for this team. Two years ago, Minnesota was coming off its second 3-9 season. At the beginning of this season, a bowl game was the goal for the Gophers. They accomplished that by going 6-6 in the regular season.

Minnesota loses a good group of seniors, but plenty of the Gophers' impact players will be returning. That includes running backs Donnell Kirkwood and Rodrick Williams, who combined for 137 yards and two touchdowns against Texas Tech. Nelson showed glimpses this year as a true freshman and made some big throws in Friday's game. And wide receiver Derrick Engel showed Friday that he can be a go-to target for Nelson, as he caught four passes for 108 yards, establishing career highs in both categories.

Kill has a history of turning around programs at his previous coaching stops — first at Southern Illinois, then at Northern Illinois. In just two seasons, he's taken Minnesota from a 3-9 team to a bowl game.

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/12/29...nding_gophers.html?blockID=841453&feedID=3590

Go Gophers!!

I'm worried about our skill positions going into next year. IF Nelson is going to be successfull in this Limegrover driven offense he'll need to gain an extra step of speed and become more of a running threat vis-a-vis the zone read option. I imagine he'll play a little faster just by knowing the offense better, developing a better repore with his RB's and some physical maturation on his part but he needs to be a "threat" to break a long run every time the zone-read option is presented. If he doesn't become more threatening with his legs the passing game will not open up.

Speaking of the passing game Nelson will need to improve his arm strength. Shortell was the only QB who could reliably put some zip on that that long out pass to be effective when facing 3rd and long. Right now, Nelson hasn't shown the consistent passing accuracy (though much better than Gray) and arm strength needed when big-time throws are needed in the clutch. He's much more effective on play-action and rolling out vs. standing back in the pocket and throwing at this point in his career. Now, some of that accuracy could be improved if the receivers become more adept at separating themselves from the defense. Our receivers, as others have alluded to, are very average in skill-set. However, in this offense we don't need dynamic WR's across the board. Just guys that can run the right routes and be on same wavelength as the QB and make the catches that are presented to them. Though having one speedster at WR on the field never hurts.

Can't say I'm too pumped up about our RB's as they stand now. Sure we got some yards last night but that can be attributed more to us finally playing a team we could dominate to a degree on the line of scrimmage, new offensive formations with which TT probably wasn't prepared for and a healthy offensive line. Our RB's are physical in stature and run with some authority but again, lack any kind of speed and ability to quickly make use of a slight opening in the defense or having cutback capability. We really need Barkley Edwards to be the one who turns those 8 yard runs into a 42 yard scamper. Texas Tech was a physically weak team on the defensive side and the Gophers showed they can dominate against those type of teams at times but that won't work in the long-run against our Big 10 schedule week to week.

The only part of the offense that excites me for next year is the offensive line. The group that started last night will be back along with improved depth from the red-shirted freshman like Hayes and Pirsig. Hopefully the offensive line will not be beset by injuries and guys can play their natural positions.

I'm worried about our skill positions going into next year. IF Nelson is going to be successfull in this Limegrover driven offense he'll need to gain an extra step of speed and become more of a running threat vis-a-vis the zone read option. I imagine he'll play a little faster just by knowing the offense better, developing a better repore with his RB's and some physical maturation on his part but he needs to be a "threat" to break a long run every time the zone-read option is presented. If he doesn't become more threatening with his legs the passing game will not open up.

Speaking of the passing game Nelson will need to improve his arm strength. Shortell was the only QB who could reliably put some zip on that that long out pass to be effective when facing 3rd and long. Right now, Nelson hasn't shown the consistent passing accuracy (though much better than Gray) and arm strength needed when big-time throws are needed in the clutch. He's much more effective on play-action and rolling out vs. standing back in the pocket and throwing at this point in his career. Now, some of that accuracy could be improved if the receivers become more adept at separating themselves from the defense. Our receivers, as others have alluded to, are very average in skill-set. However, in this offense we don't need dynamic WR's across the board. Just guys that can run the right routes and be on same wavelength as the QB and make the catches that are presented to them. Though having one speedster at WR on the field never hurts.

Can't say I'm too pumped up about our RB's as they stand now. Sure we got some yards last night but that can be attributed more to us finally playing a team we could dominate to a degree on the line of scrimmage, new offensive formations with which TT probably wasn't prepared for and a healthy offensive line. Our RB's are physical in stature and run with some authority but again, lack any kind of speed and ability to quickly make use of a slight opening in the defense or having cutback capability. We really need Barkley Edwards to be the one who turns those 8 yard runs into a 42 yard scamper. Texas Tech was a physically weak team on the defensive side and the Gophers showed they can dominate against those type of teams at times but that won't work in the long-run against our Big 10 schedule week to week.

The only part of the offense that excites me for next year is the offensive line. The group that started last night will be back along with improved depth from the red-shirted freshman like Hayes and Pirsig. Hopefully the offensive line will not be beset by injuries and guys can play their natural positions.

If the offensive line is healthy and plays well, it will make everyone else a lot better. More time for the QB to throw and for WR's to get open and better holes for the RB's. I think a healthy O-line is the key to any success MN will have next year.

Good article.

Klein should call the Iowa trainer to check for nasty workout tricks to use on Epping. I totally lost it for him after his on-field melt-down last night. He should be running until he pukes every day next week.

I like the Kirkwood/Williams tandem, but neither seems to have good "vision" while running. It would be nice to have a "home run" back who could break to the outside effectively after hitting the second level.

Dont forget that we have Harbison back next year, and hopefully Berkley Edwards can be that home run back that he looks like in his film.

Dont forget that we have Harbison back next year, and hopefully Berkley Edwards can be that home run back that he looks like in his film.

A few weeks ago I was thinking that Berkley would come in and play right away. Not so sure I think that after last night. A healthy O-line and Kirkwood and Rodrick can just wear a defense down. I think there is a good chance he redshirts.

Top Bottom