11: MI
4: ONT
2: FL, MN
1: SWE, NE, CT, OH, NY, IN, CA, AB

UMN:
20: Minnesota
1: AZ, CA, SK, IL, MI, PA

Pride on Ice
I like the look of that. Majority MN roster representing the state. Gophers also have the second youngest team average age at 21y 1m, only team with a younger average team age is Michigan with 21y 0m.

On the topic of average roster age, MN and Michigan are 67 and 68 respectively, BU is 56 with an average age of 21y 9m, and Quinnipiac is 42 with an average age of 22y 3m.

As he heads to a fifth NCAA Frozen Four as a coach or assistant, Bob Motzko will draw on lessons learned earlier this season about avoiding "vacation mode" when they get to Florida.

Minnesota's goal that got them there:

Quinnipiac's goal that got them there:

Michigan's goal that got them there:

Boston U's goal that got them there:

Last edited:

Has the last week just crawled for anyone else? It seems like a month ago that we punched the ticket to the Frozen Four. And it seems like a month until we actually play. Time is at a standstill. But in only 4 days, I will be parked in front of my TV with a pizza and Jack/Coke getting ready to watch some Gopher vs BU hockey. I can't wait. Nervously, cautiously optimistic!

Has the last week just crawled for anyone else? It seems like a month ago that we punched the ticket to the Frozen Four. And it seems like a month until we actually play. Time is at a standstill. But in only 4 days, I will be parked in front of my TV with a pizza and Jack/Coke getting ready to watch some Gopher vs BU hockey. I can't wait. Nervously, cautiously optimistic!
See post #19.

Poor Lane Hutson is going to have his Hobey chances taken from him again next year by his teammate and first overall in 2024, Mack Celebrini.

If anyone knows the last time the Gophers had three 20+ goal forwards in a season, I'd love to know. Think it has been more than 25 years. Let alone three on the same line the whole season...
I don't know if this was the last time, but right away I thought of 1980-81 with Aaron Broten, Butsy Erickson & Neal Broten.

Turns out Neal did not score 20 that season, even though he won the Hobey. He missed some games. However they actually had 4 with 20+, including 3 with 30+.

Aaron Broten - 47
Steve Ulseth - 41
Butsy Erickson - 39
Kevin Hartzell - 27

Would love Brodzinski to continue to prove me wrong and be the 4th to 20 on Thursday!

I don't know if this was the last time, but right away I thought of 1980-81 with Aaron Broten, Butsy Erickson & Neal Broten.

Turns out Neal did not score 20 that season, even though he won the Hobey. He missed some games. However they actually had 4 with 20+, including 3 with 30+.

Aaron Broten - 47
Steve Ulseth - 41
Butsy Erickson - 39
Kevin Hartzell - 27

Hard to believe that 1981 team lost to Wisconsin in the NCAA Championship game. One bad first period (went down 3-0) - but in single elimination that's all it takes..... If I recall, the Gophers had a devastating power play that year - and Wisconsin's number one priority that game (according to Coach Bob Johnson) was to stay out of the penalty box.

Worried that Cooley's hand is gonna cramp on thursday after this interview. Get the kid a new ear piece or adjust it.

The hometown newspaper writes an article about the 5 players to watch in the frozen 4. 2 of the 5 players are from the gophers. Instead of using a picture of one of them they use a picture of the gophers arch rival in the big ten and hockey history. Give me a break.

The hometown newspaper writes an article about the 5 players to watch in the frozen 4. 2 of the 5 players are from the gophers. Instead of using a picture of one of them they use a picture of the gophers arch rival in the big ten and hockey history. Give me a break.
Local sports media is an embarrassment example #10,000

Local sports media is an embarrassment example #10,000
My favorite was last week. Who the hell is Ted Levine. I’ve heard of twins GM Thad Levine, but never Ted Levine. Maybe the 22 year olds running the Twitter account should double check for accuracy before putting things out in public.

Other than a bad choice for the picture the five players he picked are fine... Fantilli is going to win the Hobey, therefore was his first player listed so probably why he picked that picture.

Hopefully this idiot is no one on here. If so, you're an idiot.

Other than a bad choice for the picture the five players he picked are fine... Fantilli is going to win the Hobey, therefore was his first player listed so probably why he picked that picture.
I agree all good choices, and truly wouldn't really think anything of it if the Strib didn't have a history of being a joke of a paper. This is the same paper that had a candidate for "image of the year" or whatever they called it and had a giant photo of Wisconsin players hoisting the Axe in 2019.

I agree it was just the picture choice.

On KFAN they were talking about how some past Gopher greats are in Florida or headed there.

Otherwise, no new news. Just waaaaaiiiitt.

Hobey Hat Trick: Cooley, Fantilli, Knies

Unfortunately it will in all likelihood go to Fantilli

First team with two finalists since 2009 (BU: Colin Wilson and Matt Gilroy)
Fantilli is the most penalized player in college hockey this year. Does that count for anything here?

Jupiter from GPL tweeted, probably half jokingly, about Tampa being the full time Frozen Four host. I do not think that is an idea that should be pawned off that quickly.

Jupiter from GPL tweeted, probably half jokingly, about Tampa being the full time Frozen Four host. I do not think that is an idea that should be pawned off that quickly.
I see Vegas in line for 2026. T-Mobile is a solid venue for puck.

Top Bottom