Frozen Four Semifinal - #1 Gophers vs. #5 Boston University

bonin21

Reaction score
Thursday, April 6 - 4PM CST - ESPN2
Amalie Arena - Tampa, FL

A matchup of two blue bloods of college hockey. The Frozen Four is composed of the 1, 2, 3, and 5 overall seeds which may be the lowest sum of seeds the 16-team tournament has ever seen.

Minnesota: 5 titles (last 2003), 12 final appearances, 23 Frozen Fours, 40 tourney appearances
Big Ten regular season champions

BU: 5 titles (last 2009), 11 final appearances, 23 Frozen Fours, 38 tourney appearances
Hockey East regular season champions

All time record: 12-12-2
Last meeting: first round game in 2012 that UMN won 7-3 at the X
The teams have only met three times in Cooley and Snuggerud's lives, with two of those in 2005 when they couldn't walk.
BU won the 1971 championship game 4-2
After that, they have met an additional six times (seven games) in the tournament: Two semifinal wins for UMN, a quarterfinal series win, two semifinal losses, and the 2012 first round game

Hobey Finalists: Logan Cooley (UMN), Matthew Knies (UMN), Lane Hutson (BU)

PP: UMN 26.2% (4th), BU 19.8% (29th)
PK: UMN 83.7% (12th), BU 81.1% (31st)
Goals/G: UMN 4.2 (2nd), BU 3.9 (3rd) - Side note: The top four in goals per game are the Frozen Four teams
Goals against/G: UMN 2.2 (6th), BU 2.6 (16th)
PIM/G: UMN 7.6 (3rd), BU 10.6 (27th)

Last edited:

Amalie Arena - Tampa, FL

A matchup of two blue bloods of college hockey. The Frozen Four is composed of the 1, 2, 3, and 5 overall seeds which may be the lowest sum of seeds the 16-team tournament has ever seen.

Minnesota: 5 titles (last 2003), 12 final appearances, 23 Frozen Fours, 40 tourney appearances

BU: 5 titles (last 2009), 11 final appearances, 23 Frozen Fours, 38 tourney appearances

The teams have only met three times in Cooley and Snuggerud's lives, with two of those in 2005 when they couldn't walk.
After that, they have met an additional six times in the tournament: Two semifinal wins for UMN, a quarterfinal win, two semifinal losses, and the 2012 first round game

Goals/G: UMN 4.2 (2nd), BU 3.9 (3rd) - Side note: The top four in goals per game are the Frozen Four teams
Can someone tell me if the Gophers are the home or visitor vs BU in the semi final game?

“Goh tehweeohs!”
Something I hope I never hear again.

Ugliest accent in the country, no doubt.

Saw a (questionable) source today that says the Gophers have never had a 2+ OT game in the tournament. Thought that was interesting, if true. Don't really want one, either.

Amalie Arena - Tampa, FL

After that, they have met an additional six times (seven games) in the tournament: Two semifinal wins for UMN, a quarterfinal series win, two semifinal losses, and the 2012 first round game

chn has the all time record as 13-16-2 favoring BU.

Saw a (questionable) source today that says the Gophers have never had a 2+ OT game in the tournament. Thought that was interesting, if true. Don't really want one, either.
Looks like the 1994 game against Lowell was 2OT. Very little consistency in historical college hockey data.

Pretty pumped my FF tickets are all inclusive drinks and food. They were the same price as general lower level tickets, so I have no idea how they were still available at my priority.

An early look at the 2023 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four: Boston University, Minnesota, Quinnipiac, Michigan​

Pretty pumped my FF tickets are all inclusive drinks and food. They were the same price as general lower level tickets, so I have no idea how they were still available at my priority.
We went to the last one there - I think in 2014 and it was a great host city. Sadly can’t go this time, we’ll be cheering from here! Go Gophers.

An early look at the 2023 NCAA Men’s Frozen Four: Boston University, Minnesota, Quinnipiac, Michigan​

At the first link there's lively comments going at the bottom. Lots of smack talk.

Records if 3-on-3 outcomes are treated as a tie (since this game will not end 3-on-3):
BU: 26-8-5 (.731 win %)
UMN: 24-6-8 (.737 win %)

BU on a nine game winning streak. This is going to be a close one.

Man, these days are CRAWLING by...Wild/Avs tonight should be a good short-term fix.

Roster Hometown Breakdown
BU
6: MA
4: NY
3: PA, IL
2: NJ, QC
1: MI, NL, ON, RI, CA, wi, NS, SWE

QPAC
5: BC
4: NY
3. QC
2: CT
1: FIN, MN, RI, MA, SWE, NS, MO, NC, wi, NL, PA, CA

UM:
11: MI
4: ONT
2: FL, MN
1: SWE, NE, CT, OH, NY, IN, CA, AB

UMN:
20: Minnesota
1: AZ, CA, SK, IL, MI, PA

Pride on Ice

Hobey Hat Trick: Cooley, Fantilli, Knies

Unfortunately it will in all likelihood go to Fantilli

First team with two finalists since 2009 (BU: Colin Wilson and Matt Gilroy)

Last edited:

They are each different and great in different ways.

What I want to know is if the rumor that Cooley may be back next year is legit.

On the one hand, the pros are waiting. On the other, the college experience is once in a lifetime while skills develop too over that year.

They are each different and great in different ways.

What I want to know is if the rumor that Cooley may be back next year is legit.
Unlikely - if you see the video clip Bob was clearly trying to hold back a laugh.

If anyone knows the last time the Gophers had three 20+ goal forwards in a season, I'd love to know. Think it has been more than 25 years. Let alone three on the same line the whole season...

Lacombe needs one point to hit 100 career points. Snuggerud needs one assist to hit 30 this season. Would like to see both in this semifinal game, ideally with Knies getting on the board. So how about start off with Knies from Snuggerud and Lacombe.

And then after that Brodzinski gets his 20th of the year.

I think Minnesota beats Michigan by 2 goals to win it all.

Other outcome is Minnesota Gophers are "a bit off" and fall to Boston U by 1 and controversial call.

If anyone knows the last time the Gophers had three 20+ goal forwards in a season, I'd love to know. Think it has been more than 25 years. Let alone three on the same line the whole season...
It has been a while. It is rare for the Gophers to have 3 20 goal scorers on the team, let alone position. I know in 02 they had 3 players ( Taffe , Pohl and Leopold) and I think in 1991-92 they had 3 ( Hendrickson, Klatt & Olimb ) but each year one of those played defense although not sure if Olimb played any forward in 91-92 or 100% defense as he played both at points of his career. This years line is truly one of a kind.

Top Bottom