Front 7 next year?

PeterMac05

Reaction score
one thing that I haven’t seen anyone talk about what our front 7 will look like next year. Who will be our dine? Will Sori Marin come back? Who else do we have at linebacker? Interesting stuff here

At LB, MSM and Braelon Oliver. Willis is still here and played intelligently; very fast. Cody Lindenberg and Jaq Burns both should be ready next year. Derik LeCaptain will be back at LB in 2022. Lucas Finnessy is big and has played STs. Aune? Wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up a portal LB, if a decent, experienced one is available. unlikely to strike gold (Gibbens) two years in a row, I suppose.

Last edited:

At LB, MSM and Braelon Oliver. Willis is still here and played intelligently; very fast. Cody Lindenberg and Jaw Burns both should be ready next year. Derik LeCaptain will be back at LB in 2022. Lucas Finnessy is big and has played STs. Aune? Wouldn’t be surprised if we picked up a portal LB, if a decent, experienced one is available. unlikely to strike gold (Gibbens) two years in a row, I suppose.
Fleck can promote us as "Transfer Linebacker U".

On DL, Val Martin and Cheney are already gone. Pinckney and Dew-Treadway will be gone. Assume Mafe gone to NFL; don’t know about Esezi.

We have a lot of good, young guys at DT and DL. And the top two 22 recruits, both 4 stars, are DEs. Good news is that we start with three not-too-taxing non-conf games in which the young guys can cut their teeth. Might be another transfer portal DT in our future, too, I assume.

Last edited:

Redding #97 got some PT late in the season including WI game.

Kind of tough to speculate on next year until we know who is coming back and who isn’t.

Anderson, Cheney, val Martin all left about the same time. Is there a problem here?

Anderson, Cheney, val Martin all left about the same time. Is there a problem here?
No, only one really mattered or did anything.

We sure didn't miss them on Saturday.

My guess:
DE: Esezi / Joyner or Striggow
DT: Carter / Richter
DT: Logan Redding / Eastern or Schuster
DE: Rush / Booker
LB: MSM / Lindenberg
LB: Oliver / Willis
I hope Esezi comes back but he was getting some consideration for the Senior Bowl, so I would lean towards him leaving. I'd love to add a DT in the portal again to give us one veteran option next to Carter. The young DT depth is promising though. I can't remember a time we had guys with the offers/rating of Eastern and Schuster that may not even crack the 2 deep as redshirt frosh. I think they like Gage Keys as well though he could play strong side DE. At LB, we're going to miss Gibbens. I don't see an obvious replacement for his style of play unless Lindenberg comes back strong from his injury. It was encouraging to see Oliver play so well against Wisconsin, hope he can build on that performance next year.

Top Bottom