From the Auburn perspective.....

The many fans I talked to before the game felt they had the edge but were worried about our passing game. They actually watched our highlights and game replays to sort of get to know us. Had a lot of respect after.

I was very happily surprised — and mightily impressed — by our offensive line.

Despite missing two really key players (Faalele and Paulson, who is a tight end but an important blocker) the Gopher offensive line manhandled — there's no other word — the vaunted, all-world Auburn defensive front.

Before the 2019 season, I had predicted the Gopher o-line would dominate opponents. That prediction didn't really pan out until New Year's Day, 2020. But when it did finally happen, it was very impressive to watch.

Classy response from coach. I watched their player post game interviews and they were complimentary as well.

I was very impressed by the blocking on several running plays and couple of the "tunnel" screens.

We all were pretty excited by the blocking on the clinching run by Mo at the end, but the blocking on the previous first down (right before Fleck went off on the line judge) was equally impressive.. Despite it being 3rd and fairly long we ran it anyway, much like the old Mason teams often did.

Since the play was run towards the sideline where the camera was, the view was great. It was third and long and that play was just great to watch., with the OLine, TEs and WRs all blocking in a very physical way.

In addition Mo is just a great runner with impressive vision, patience and ability to finish off a run. Assuming he was healthy enough, in retrospect, he probably needed to get the ball more this year. (and I really like Brooks and Smith)

Is this an example of that warm, cuddling media coverage every team except MN enjoys?

Is this an example of that warm, cuddling media coverage every team except MN enjoys?
Ha! It is a bit tiring to read another article that demonsrates SEC arrogance. MN is that good we played badly.

yes, that all is good, but is Duluth north?

(sarcasm... other Auburn thread got derailed)

I was very impressed by the blocking on several running plays and couple of the "tunnel" screens.

We all were pretty excited by the blocking on the clinching run by Mo at the end, but the blocking on the previous first down (right before Fleck went off on the line judge) was equally impressive.. Despite it being 3rd and fairly long we ran it anyway, much like the old Mason teams often did.

Since the play was run towards the sideline where the camera was, the view was great. It was third and long and that play was just great to watch., with the OLine, TEs and WRs all blocking in a very physical way.

In addition Mo is just a great runner with impressive vision, patience and ability to finish off a run. Assuming he was healthy enough, in retrospect, he probably needed to get the ball more this year. (and I really like Brooks and Smith)

Am I the only one who thinks these tunnel ("FSU") screens take WAY too long to develop??? Don't get me wrong; I'm not against the play call at all. They just seem to be lacking in a certain "je ne sais quoi" (on second thought, I do know what: CRISPNESS).

Am I the only one who thinks these tunnel ("FSU") screens take WAY too long to develop??? Don't get me wrong; I'm not against the play call at all. They just seem to be lacking in a certain "je ne sais quoi" (on second thought, I do know what: CRISPNESS).
I think the only issue is Morgan sometimes needs to put more zip on the throw. He floats it too much so the WR has to wait for it.

Might have to float them because throw often goes over a rushing DE, who might be wise enough to bat down a low pass.
Absolutely. But I don't think that's the case all the time. He might be taught to do it that way no matter what so who knows. Just an observation.

Although some Auburn fans were upset about losing to Minnesota due to our lack of pedigree (the past National Titles, Big Ten Titles, and such are 50 plus years in the distance and mean little to fans of today other than our own), most seemed respectful about what the Gophers accomplished. Auburn fans have largely turned their guns inward, especially aiming for head coach Gus Malzahn. Other than his first season in 2013 when Auburn went 12-2 (7-1) and lost the BCS Title Game to Florida State, the Tigers have a single season with 10 wins or more, no seasons with fewer than 4 losses, one SEC West Title, and only one season with a major bowl appearance which was a loss to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl after the 2016 season. The fans that wanted him to take charge after Gene Chizik was fired now seem to be ready for another change.

I thought that a couple of times this year. Mo seems to get a rhythm going and he just wears a defense down when he does. Best example was the bowl game last year against GT. Of course, not sure how long before he would wear down or get hurt.

I spoke to two different Auburn fans who were worried about a let down. "Sometimes we don't show up for bowl games."

Whatever happened to the Auburn guy that was here talking a bunch of $hit leading up to the game?

Absolutely. But I don't think that's the case all the time. He might be taught to do it that way no matter what so who knows. Just an observation.

My impression this year was that he had more velocity at his disposal than last year... didn't always use it, but this is my impression.

The same Becky team that pissed away the Rose Bowl?

YES! That exact team! The same team that lost to Oregon — a team that lost to Auburn.

Auburn... the team that the Gophers dominated...

Yea, really don't like how that play works or looks for us most of the time. Though we've busted a couple big plays, it seems slow to develop, and as others have said, Morgan seems to float the ball out there. Kind of weird, but he seems to have more zip on the slants than on the wide receiver screens. When other teams run it, the QB turns real quick and zips it out there waist or chest high. Our receivers always seem to have to wait then reach high for the ball. Again, just my perspective.

I love how our conversation on quarterbacks has gone from "can our quarterback hit anyone?" To "what velocity our quarterback hits people." Still a relevant conversation, but cant believe how far we have come in such a short time.

Top Bottom