from someone who witnessed firsthand The Debacle In The Desert....

M&G BUSt

Reaction score
and almost every other either heartbreaking or downright atrocious gopher game over the last 15 years, I can honestly say I don't really see why everyone is so upset about this game? Ugly offense for 3 qrtrs, yes. The defense played well enough to win. The no first down, followed by long punt return in the end should be expected from anyone who's followed this program at all in the last 15 years. The fact that we were actually a dropped pass in the end zone away from pulling out a W was the surprise for me. No, that loss is not a tough one to swallow for me. Getting taunted mercilessly by every fan in Tempe, the coach getting fired, and no direction as to where this program was going next, now that sucked. Step back from the ledge everyone.

Nicely said.

and almost every other either heartbreaking or downright atrocious gopher game over the last 15 years, I can honestly say I don't really see why everyone is so upset about this game? Ugly offense for 3 qrtrs, yes. The defense played well enough to win. The no first down, followed by long punt return in the end should be expected from anyone who's followed this program at all in the last 15 years. The fact that we were actually a dropped pass in the end zone away from pulling out a W was the surprise for me. No, that loss is not a tough one to swallow for me. Getting taunted mercilessly by every fan in Tempe, the coach getting fired, and no direction as to where this program was going next, now that sucked. Step back from the ledge everyone.

Not offense, but this is spoken like a true Gopher fan. Losing a winnable game is okay as long as we can find some silver lining buried somewhere deep in the game (the defense played well enough to win)...or that we have lost other games in far worse a fashion than this game. Reusse wrote about this attitude in his last column: A fan can't be sane and justify this Gophers loss

My real concern after watching the Texas Bowl game, is the regression of the offense. People keep saying that Nelson and Leidner should get better next year, but I do not see any facts to suggest this. We should have seen steady progression throughout the season, yet the last two games of the season the offense was ineffective as well as the bowl game. More frustrating, is the offensive play calling. Just when I thought Limey turned a corner after the Neb. game, he has seemed to regressed to his pre-Neb. play calling, except now we have one shift before the snap. Nevertheless, the offensive play calling is so predictable and this coaching staff seems to be deathly afraid of screen passes, bubble screens or any other kind of short pass that has a high likelihood of completion. Instead, all to often, we are going for the deep pass with receivers that are young and inexperienced. This season was a success, no matter how you slice it, but the bowl game was disappointing and does raise concerns about how our offense will score enough points to win next season.

It's one game. The Gophers were upset by a lesser team. It sucks! Do you think they're the first team to ever lose a game they expected to win?

I think occasionally getting upset goes with the territory - the territory of being favored, which is unfamiliar to most Gophers fans.

If you think you're upset, think how Nebraska's fans felt after watching their team lose to the Gophers for the first time in 50 years!

Not offense, but this is spoken like a true Gopher fan. Losing a winnable game is okay as long as we can find some silver lining buried somewhere deep in the game (the defense played well enough to win)...or that we have lost other games in far worse a fashion than this game. Reusse wrote about this attitude in his last column: A fan can't be sane and justify this Gophers loss

Have to agree with both you and Reusse. Seems we have plenty of folks who are in the camp of "well, at least this sucky bowl game performance wasn't as bad as the all-time sucky bowl game performance we had earlier" camp. If you are one of the moral victory types, than that's fine. But after decades of watching the same type of stuff over and over again, I'm well past the "at least we didn't..." stage of fandom.

Believe me, I'm not trying to claim any moral victory here. I'm generally able to enjoy a game win or lose (something I wasn't able to do in my younger days), and not because I've become numb to losing because of those past experiences. There are too many other important things in life than to beat yourself up over a game you have no control over. I didn't read the Reusse article, but I what exactly would he have me doing/feeling?

If there are any games to get upset about this year it would be the Iowa & Wisconsin games. Both winnable and far more meaningful than this one.

I can understand where you're coming from and definitely, when it comes to sports, its never a good thing to get overly invested. Everybody has different methods to trying to keep things in perspective. Nevertheless, the script hasn't changed and that's really where my only source of frustration comes in. I'd love for the team to finally become somewhat competent when they are actually expected to be so. But that hasn't happened yet. And it hasn't for a long time.

And if there's ever been an argument for keeping things in perspective, it certainly comes from being a follower of Gophers football.

My real concern after watching the Texas Bowl game, is the regression of the offense.

Huh? Did you watch the last two games of the year against Wisc or MSU or the game against IA? This offense struggled all year against teams that can stop the run and/or rush the passer. I may have had some fun mocking Suckacuse but make no mistake, their defense is the real deal, especially against teams like the Gophers.

We have been consistently inconsistent all year on offense and we were again in this game. The old saying, a team with two starting QBs really has no starting QB is proved yet again by this years team.

The idea that a So & R-FR QB tandem that couldn't consistently move the ball against good defenses all year somehow regressed in the bowl game after not moving the ball against a top 30 rush defense is idiotic and not based on any statistical or factual basis.

Haha, agree 100%

I can understand where you're coming from and definitely, when it comes to sports, its never a good thing to get overly invested. Everybody has different methods to trying to keep things in perspective. Nevertheless, the script hasn't changed and that's really where my only source of frustration comes in. I'd love for the team to finally become somewhat competent when they are actually expected to be so. But that hasn't happened yet. And it hasn't for a long time.

And if there's ever been an argument for keeping things in perspective, it certainly comes from being a follower of Gophers football.

Huh? Did you watch the last two games of the year against Wisc or MSU or the game against IA? This offense struggled all year against teams that can stop the run and/or rush the passer. I may have had some fun mocking Suckacuse but make no mistake, their defense is the real deal, especially against teams like the Gophers.

We have been consistently inconsistent all year on offense and we were again in this game. The old saying, a team with two starting QBs really has no starting QB is proved yet again by this years team.

The idea that a So & R-FR QB tandem that couldn't consistently move the ball against good defenses all year somehow regressed in the bowl game after not moving the ball against a top 30 rush defense is idiotic and not based on any statistical or factual basis.

To compare Wis.'s and MSU's defense to Syracuse's defense is ridiculous. Syracuse is no where near as good as Wis. and MSU. (If you are claiming that Iowa's and Mich.'s d was good as well and that is why we struggled, I will disagree with you. The reason we lost to those teams is because our offensive play calling was so vanilla a high school coach could have schemed a defense against MN's offensive play calling.) Syracuse was 6-6 in a weak conference. For you to turn around now and claim that Syracuse was a good team is absolutely laughable. Before this game, a lot of people, including yourself, were talking smack and claiming we WILL dominate this team. Now that MN embarrassed itself on national tv, the excuses are coming out.

I watched the game and the offense was pathetic. Nelson looked bad and Leidner did to a large extent. I also put a lot of blame on the play calling as it was like we went back to the pre-Nebraska play calling.

The offense did make consistent positive strides during the season starting in the Nebraska game, which continued to move in a positive direction. The offensive struggles against MSU and WIS. was acceptable because those are very good defenses. However, the offensive play calling was good and we did move the ball. What happened against Syracuse is not acceptable. This was just bad coaching and bad playing. People can make all the excuses they want, but it was not a positive way to end the season no matter how you want to spin it.

To compare Wis.'s and MSU's defense to Syracuse's defense is ridiculous. Syracuse is no where near as good as Wis. and MSU. (If you are claiming that Iowa's and Mich.'s d was good as well and that is why we struggled, I will disagree with you. The reason we lost to those teams is because our offensive play calling was so vanilla a high school coach could have schemed a defense against MN's offensive play calling.) Syracuse was 6-6 in a weak conference. For you to turn around now and claim that Syracuse was a good team is absolutely laughable. Before this game, a lot of people, including yourself, were talking smack and claiming we WILL dominate this team. Now that MN embarrassed itself on national tv, the excuses are coming out.

I watched the game and the offense was pathetic. Nelson looked bad and Leidner did to a large extent. I also put a lot of blame on the play calling as it was like we went back to the pre-Nebraska play calling.

The offense did make consistent positive strides during the season starting in the Nebraska game, which continued to move in a positive direction. The offensive struggles against MSU and WIS. was acceptable because those are very good defenses. However, the offensive play calling was good and we did move the ball. What happened against Syracuse is not acceptable. This was just bad coaching and bad playing. People can make all the excuses they want, but it was not a positive way to end the season no matter how you want to spin it.

You are making my point that your original post was unfounded, untrue and just plain lacking any insight or factual basis. We struggled all year with good defenses, the better the defense the more we struggled...especially against good run defenses, which Suckacuse has. We didn't regress in the bowl game compared to previous games...our 4 game winning streak in the B1G was against teams that couldn't stop the run and our 4 losses were against 4 teams that could stop the run.

If we would have beaten any of the top 4 run defenses we faced (MSU, Wisc, IA, scUM) and then lost to Suckacuse, I would say "regression" is a reasonable word to use...but we didn't. Didn't even really come close from an offensive stand point of scoring enough to win those three games.

No, Suckacuse isn't as highly ranked as MSU, Sconnie or IA, but, food for thought to better illustrate my point, using actual facts and evidence...the Gophers lost 5 games this year. The rushing defense ranks in FBS for those 5 teams is as follows: Link

MSU - 2
Sconnie - 5
IA - 17
scUM - 28
Suckacuse - 26

Against these 5 times our offense sucked - very consistently sucked. Why? Because if we can't run the ball we aren't good right now. We didn't regress against Suckacuse as you asserted...we didn't get better as the year went on either as you asserted. The evidence shows that against top 30 rush defenses we did not score TDs and we did not win.

Please tell me the proper way to handle a loss.
We r not the first team to lose a game we shouldn't have.

No offense, but I find stances like this ridiculous. I mentioned it in another thread, but it is crazy to me how some people (especially some of the media) act like Gopher fans are the only ones who "make excuses" or try to stay positive after a bad loss. I question how many of these people have actually spent time around other fan bases.

I remember Souhan talking on the radio about how Gopher fans are the only fan base in the country that completely forgets all the bad moments in their history. His argument was that fan bases like the Vikings and Bills look back at their bad moments of the past all the time. Gopher fans don't. First of all, that is effing ridiculous. Secondly, it questions if he has ever really spent time around Gopher fans, and thirdly, it was obvious he didn't follow college sports at all because his only two examples were pro sports teams.

My problem with takes like yours is that for some reason some people can't figure out that people can be disappointed, yet can still try and stay positive. Trust me, I'm as pissed off about the loss as anyone else (just ask my wife, haha), but I'm still gonna try and look at some of the positives. Let's face it, our favorite football team has had a bunch of embarrassing/bad losses over the years, and haven't had a lot of good wins. If I wasn't able to try to stay positive most of the time, I'd go crazy.

The more "insane" thing to me is those who act like they know how others should feel and react after bad things happen. Just because someone's reaction isn't the same as yours doesn't mean they are "settling for mediocrity". I just prefer to be positive even in the rough times because, in my opinion, that is what being a fan is all about. You may disagree and that is perfectly fine. Just don't look down on others when they don't think the same way you do.

And one last thing, how anyone of us reacts after a loss like this has zero influence on anything the Gophers do in the future. The notion that my or anyone else's reaction has any bearing on the future of the program is crazy.

Football (and all sports in a way) are funny because in a close game it can come down to 1 or two plays in the end that determine the way the whole game is looked at. The Indiana game - terrible 4th quarter, comes down to the last play and we catch a break to get a win, yet no one remembers that game as "garbage". This bowl game was ugly on Offense for 3 quarters, then we have a couple big offensive plays in the 4th, punt team screws the pooch, then the dropped pass through the breadbasket for the win. If that catch is made at the end, even though 3/4 of the game was offensive garbage, I'm guessing there is a whole different slant to the posts on gopherhole today.

Believe me, I'm not trying to claim any moral victory here. I'm generally able to enjoy a game win or lose (something I wasn't able to do in my younger days), and not because I've become numb to losing because of those past experiences. There are too many other important things in life than to beat yourself up over a game you have no control over. I didn't read the Reusse article, but I what exactly would he have me doing/feeling?

Oh, I'll agree with you there! In the end, it's just a game :)

No offense, but I find stances like this ridiculous. I mentioned it in another thread, but it is crazy to me how some people (especially some of the media) act like Gopher fans are the only ones who "make excuses" or try to stay positive after a bad loss. I question how many of these people have actually spent time around other fan bases.

I went to the University of Michigan for grad school, and nobody stays positive after any loss. Here's the Detroit News article for Michigan's loss yesterday. Check some of the comments at the bottom. You won't find a single one putting a silver lining on their game. The idea that all programs' fans accept or put a silver lining on their team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like we do simply isn't true.

And one last thing, how anyone of us reacts after a loss like this has zero influence on anything the Gophers do in the future. The notion that my or anyone else's reaction has any bearing on the future of the program is crazy.

I'd disagree with you here. Michigan's alumni would have demanded the resignation of half of the University faculty if they had some of the seasons as bad as many of the seasons we have had to endure. They went 7-6 and most are demanding Hoke's head...he probably has until the end of his contract to get to a B1G championship or he's out because the fans will demand it. Similar things are going on in Nebraska.

The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program.

I went to the University of Michigan for grad school, and nobody stays positive after any loss. Here's the Detroit News article for Michigan's loss yesterday. Check some of the comments at the bottom. You won't find a single one putting a silver lining on their game. The idea that all programs' fans accept or put a silver lining on their team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like we do simply isn't true. I'd disagree with you here. Michigan's alumni would have demanded the resignation of half of the University faculty if they had some of the seasons as bad as many of the seasons we have had to endure. They went 7-6 and most are demanding Hoke's head...he probably has until the end of his contract to get to a B1G championship or he's out because the fans will demand it. Similar things are going on in Nebraska. The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program.

One difference is that Michigans investment in the program is second to none.
Hoke is extremely well compensated. He has the highest paid coordinator on d and the third highest on offense.
Their recruiting budget and facilities are top notch.
When those that say they don't "settle for mediocrity" match their expectations with cash, we will start performing at a higher level.
If you made a top ten of things the program needs to improve...not enough negativity from fans wouldn't even make the list.

I went to the University of Michigan for grad school, and nobody stays positive after any loss. Here's the Detroit News article for Michigan's loss yesterday. Check some of the comments at the bottom. You won't find a single one putting a silver lining on their game. The idea that all programs' fans accept or put a silver lining on their team snatching defeat from the jaws of victory like we do simply isn't true.

I'd disagree with you here. Michigan's alumni would have demanded the resignation of half of the University faculty if they had some of the seasons as bad as many of the seasons we have had to endure. They went 7-6 and most are demanding Hoke's head...he probably has until the end of his contract to get to a B1G championship or he's out because the fans will demand it. Similar things are going on in Nebraska.

The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program.

Its a fine line...sometimes that influence is positive, and sometimes it is negative. In most cases, having continuity in the coaching staff is best for the program. All coaches have bad seasons, the ones that have success early on are allowed more leeway. There have been people calling for Ferentz's head in Iowa several times throughout his time there. Even if Iowa had a couple bad seasons I think it would be idiotic to can Ferentz.

Of course that is the case for historically good programs. It's because this year was a massively disappointing season, especially considering their history. It's all about perspective. Overall the Gophers took a step in the right direction this season.

My point was the Gopher fan base is not the only one that makes excuses. Your statement here doesn't disprove anything. For further evidence, we didn't have to look very far the past few weeks. Syracuse fans were making excuses for their 56-0 loss to Georgia Tech this season.

You mean the key to success is for us to get our pitchforks out after every loss and every bad season? Who knew that is all we had to do!

Seriously though, if the people making the decisions are listening to people like me, then doesn't that say something about that person? If me going on a rampage over facebook, through email, and on gopherhole truly makes a difference on whether Kill gets fired or not, then there is a much bigger problem in my opinion.

And your argument doesn't even make much sense in our situation since not too many feel Kill is on the hot seat anyways. So what would be the point of throwing a fit at the time anyways? Your examples don't fit where the Gophers are right now. We made a step in the right direction, they did not.

What was aggravating was - with just over 2 minutes to go to seal the deal - we couldn't get a first down (the play calling didn't help). Agree that the 70-yard punt return was classic Minnesota meltdown. But the Gophers really needed to win this one to be taken seriously by fans, media and potential recruits. Hence, a big disappointment. The game was winnable.

"The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program".[/QUOTE]

Based on the poll in the other thread almost 50% of gopherholers are satisfied with a 50% passer showing little progress after 2 years. Would that fly in Ann Arbor or would they demand to see if someone else can find mojo? Perhaps we are self-selecting for being a forgiving and patient lot...but then do we deserve better? If we clamor for yet more worse than mediocre what does that make us?

We need to make the coaches, the qb, and the other leaders of this athletic program accountable.

"The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program".

And their Boosters get heavily involved and donate hundreds of millions of dollars on a regular basis. Here we go ballistic when they ask for a $250 contribution to get better seats and whine about the price of beer.

Whining is not the way to "Huge" influence.

Unless you are in a New Years Day bowl wins and losses in games like these really don't mean any thing. It is all about the practices. A game that starts at 5 PM on a Friday will have very low ratings and most people do not even know that it is on. It was good to make a bowl game this year as we are getting better but other than that winning or losing this game is not a big deal.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense? You're welcome to hold hands with Reusse, but both of you need to understand that a fan is by definition insane where it concerns his or her team of choice. What do you expect on a fan board?

We didn't play well at all but we were in a position to win late in the game. I had fun but there were some long faces at the airport yesterday. I think we lose sight of the fact that these are for the most part kids. They get treated worse than the Vikings players do and they do the for far less. They get savaged while every Vikings loss or crime is met with silver linings.

HUGE difference between Michigan's season this year and the Gophers!!!

HUGE.

Michigan seems to be regressing, while Kill has our team on the rise. 8 wins is more than 6, right? And 6 was more than 3, right?!

Lets take a look at Missouri's program.

It took their coach til his 3rd season to have a winning record, 4-7, 5-7, 8-5. Then they regressed to 5-6 and 7-5 in seasons 4 and 5.

If our resident Michigan grad were in charge there, the alumni would have DEMANDED the coaches removal after daring to regress in season 4, if he didn't already have the coach fired after not getting to 9 wins in season 3?

But what happened next???

a 12-2 season. Then a 10-4 season, then 8-5 and 5-7 in their first season in the SEC, with an 11-2 season that followed with a chance to win 12 again, still pending.

That's a 10, 11 and 12 win season in the span of the last 5 years with 1 more game to go still.

So sometimes it is ok to be patient. I'm guessing Missouri fans are pleased that their school was patient with their coach after he got such a slow start. Took him til his 7th season to break the 8 win barrier. And his win total went downward every year after 2007 for 3 years straight, but now look at them this season.

Missouri is a lot more like we are and the position we are in now than Michigan.

Michigan has the money and the resources that their fans and alumni SHOULD be furious as to how this season unfolded and ended.

We still have a young squad, riddled with injuries at key positions, with a coaching staff who is still trying to build a foundation that can be relied upon for years to come in the future.

Oh, and that's another thing, how can we not take into consideration our offensive struggles since losing Engel? On top of his loss, we had to play games without him against top 30 rated defenses.

A very good point was made that our 5 losses came against the 5 teams on our schedule with Top 30 rated defenses against the run.

I'm not making excuses because that's what Gopher fans do. I am not looking for a silver lining because its what Gopher fans always do and no other fans of any other sports team does it!!!

I am looking for the silver lining, because Kill seems to have us on the right path, our program is RISING, not falling. We have young players and not enough depth yet to handle losses like Engel, etc.. But it seems Kill is trying to change that, it seems like he is trying to address those issues, to build up some depth on the team. We are a program ON THE RISE!!! The LAST thing we need right now is frigging program killing negativity.

Reusee can go f himself.

This is a Minnesota Alumn to a tee.

"The schools with good programs are so because their fan base and alumni demand it. That is, the alumni's reaction has HUGE influence on what happens to the Gophers program".

And their Boosters get heavily involved and donate hundreds of millions of dollars on a regular basis. Here we go ballistic when they ask for a $250 contribution to get better seats and whine about the price of beer.

Whining is not the way to "Huge" influence.

Minnesotans are proud of their cheapness. I like a deal as much as the next guy but we are probably next to last if not last in alumni giving to the University and to the Goal Line club in general. Minnesota alumns like to complain a lot and beat the drum about "Same ole Gophers" but you don't find a lot of those same fans willing to invest time money or effort in to improving the program. We are good at bitching in this state without doing much positive in the way of making things better. There is no reason Gophers should be playing in front of a lot of empty seats against Penn State this year, that game was inexcusable to have that many empty seats. People want to bitch buy tickets and show up, we need Fans and not empty seats.

Sid: Boy my Starkey hearing aid is really great.
Dave: Why don't you tell the fans how to get to Starkey's.
Sid: What????

Mona has to repeat everything said to Sid every Sunday. I find this frustrating. I also found this loss very frustrating. Then I watch Louisville and realize we are a ways away from where we need to be.

Top Bottom