Freshmen, yes, but Garin and Manuel..

TCF=UnitedWeStand

Reaction score
...ugh.

Is Sheed hurt? It seemed Garin played every snap. He was a complete disaster; not because he won't be good, but he clearly is not ready. Shame on Cosgrove for not making a change for either he or Manuel - neither should be playing as much as they are.

(and if the response is "Who else are you going to play?" Well, that again is the staff's fault for having such pathetic depth)

Garin

I didn't watch Manuel much, but Garin was not very good. He didn't apply pressure and lost contain on way too many plays. He looked lost on a couple plays.

Manuel was worse than Garin. He will be very good one day. But not today. Terrible position to put a freshman in. Only Rallis and Edwards had average games. Everyone else was much worse.

Garin played virtually every snap at DE. I am guessing that won't be the case next week.

Manuel was worse than Garin. He will be very good one day. But not today. Terrible position to put a freshman in. Only Rallis and Edwards had average games. Everyone else was much worse.

Rallis had a horrible game, wasn't he the one who got burned for the first two td's?

Watkins replaced Manuel for a while in the first half, but he wasn't any better. Manuel was back in shortly thereafter. The defensive backfield was horrific. They tried a few other guys at times, but each was worse than the last.

Watkins replaced Manuel for a while in the first half, but he wasn't any better. Manuel was back in shortly thereafter. The defensive backfield was horrific. They tried a few other guys at times, but each was worse than the last.

FALSE!

we don't have an above average defender on the entire field

and where you guys are seeing all this potential with these guys is a mystery to me

garin looks slower than slow.....which amazes me

and where you guys are seeing all this potential with these guys is a mystery to me

Brewster hype machine, which he is amazing at.

I think Rallis was injured and didn't even play. Wasn't #26 on the sidelines with no shoulder pads? Didn't Ryan Grant take his place?

I was confused reading this too at first, but then realized that most of this thread was written in early September.

Brewster hype machine, which he is amazing at.

I don't think it is so much the Brewster hype machine as much as it is people overvaluing recruiting rankings.

For me, Garin hasn't shown me anything whatsoever. He could simply be forced into action way too young (certainly possible) and I have no way of knowing if he will actually be a player but right now he is a ways away.

As for Manuel (IMO), he is playing like a true freshman. He has been put in an incredibly tough situation to succeed. He started playing behind a very young secondary (tons of snaps playing behind Henderson, Carter and Vareen). He has made some nice plays, because he is a talented kid. But with our youth, I think it was too much too soon for him.

I will say that his play has improved with the return of Theret.

Anyone ever take into consideration that Hageman isn't all he is cracked up to be? Brewster hypes him. He was a 3-star on rivals. But he had to move positions because there were other TE's better than him. He moved from DE because there were other DEs better than him. Perhaps he is a guy that won't make a huge impact till his Junior or Senior season (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Rose ~

I think you are spot on with Hageman. I really don't expect a major impact from this kid for a couple years. He is a physical specimen, but "the game" seems to be a little bit away. I think DT is the best position for him and I hope/think that one day he will excel there but he always struck me as a guy who would take a bit to be a major factor (I think the same with Lamonte Edwards).

Rose ~

I think you are spot on with Hageman. I really don't expect a major impact from this kid for a couple years. He is a physical specimen, but "the game" seems to be a little bit away. I think DT is the best position for him and I hope/think that one day he will excel there but he always struck me as a guy who would take a bit to be a major factor (I think the same with Lamonte Edwards).

Exactly, He is a raw player learning a new position. He didn't have the body type or hands to continue playing TE. He doesn't have the technique to get PT at DE this year, so may as well move him to what will end up being his best position. DT is the place for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't start till his junior year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a 3-4th round pick after playing his Jr and Sr year. The kid is not old enough to drink, and people are assuming he should be able to come in and dominate against upperclassmen O-linemen in the Big Ten. It's a rather large jump going from catching passes over Jr D-backs at Edison to playing DT against Wisconsins experienced OL.

Exactly, He is a raw player learning a new position. He didn't have the body type or hands to continue playing TE. He doesn't have the technique to get PT at DE this year, so may as well move him to what will end up being his best position. DT is the place for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he didn't start till his junior year. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a 3-4th round pick after playing his Jr and Sr year. The kid is not old enough to drink, and people are assuming he should be able to come in and dominate against upperclassmen O-linemen in the Big Ten. It's a rather large jump going from catching passes over Jr D-backs at Edison to playing DT against Wisconsins experienced OL.

Great post. I agree 100%. He reminds me a little bit of Alex Daniels. Is he an offensive player? Defensive? LB? DE? Sheed is clearly not part of the "hype machine." My God, every school in the country wanted this kid. As Rose said, give him some time to mature and learn a position.

Shede was a 3 star but his offer list begs to differ, he had offers from Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Mich State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska. Thats probably the best offer list of any recruit Brew landed. I dont know what is going on with him, its easy to say well he is just young and needs more time but Idk. I think if he toned up a lil bit he may be able to be a DE.

Shede was a 3 star but his offer list begs to differ, he had offers from Ohio State, Florida, Oklahoma, Mich State, Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska. Thats probably the best offer list of any recruit Brew landed. I dont know what is going on with him, its easy to say well he is just young and needs more time but Idk.

So you are giving up on him after .5 seasons of eligibility have been used up? Offers sheets don't really mean much in terms of predicting immediate impact. The fact that he has a lot of offers means that many schools thought at some point he would be a big time player. Didn't mean any of those schools thought he would play as a freshman or sophomore. In fact, many of those upper level schools who offered him probably offered him knowing that he wouldn't play for at least 2-3 years (cause at their school they don't need immediate impact guys).

I think Rasheed will do just fine in time. By the way guys, how had guys like Adrian Clayborn and Ndamukong Suh done after the first half of their redshirt freshman season?

In a couple of years our defense will have (assuming they stick together) some really nice tallent to work with.

Obviously I am not the only one who thinks our guys are not as good as Brewster hyped them to be. There was a whole thread the other day with posters saying the same thing. I believe there isn't much difference between our recruits and the ones that USD gets. Ours maybe slightly better football players but the coaches are doing a poor job of coaching them up.

I think the last sentence in your post is correct, but our recruits are exponentially better than the recruits that USD gets (which is the reason why everyone was rightfully outraged with that loss).

Are you saying that Watkins didn't play against South Dakota? Maybe I had the wrong number.

Or are you saying that the defensive backfield played okay against USD? I won't back down from "horrific."

Are you saying that Watkins didn't play against South Dakota? Maybe I had the wrong number.

Or are you saying that the defensive backfield played okay against USD? I won't back down from "horrific."

Oh, maybe I misunderstood you. I thought you were comparing Watkins performance to Manuel's that game; and if you were, I reiterate, your statement is FALSE!

Once again this thread just proves once again that you can't win or even compete well with Fr. and RS Fr. in Major college FB. Most of the players at this lever are 3-4-5yr players. Kids cannot compete with men. When (with cosgrove gone)these kids get to the 3rd+ yrs, I'm betting they will be good players.

Top Bottom