Freshman WR Marcus Fleming is no longer on the Nebraska football team

It is comical how some think that highly ranked players from larger metropolitan areas go to Nebraska because it is in Lincoln. You have to look at it from their point of view, not from yours as an older suburban or small town resident. In general, a small town is hell in their eyes. Without being on the team and hang out with their buddies, they would be on the first thing they could find to get out of town.

Yes, low cost of living is definitely a top consideration of an 18 year old from Florida getting a free ride. Spot on. No kid from Florida is going to chose to go to Nebraska beyond purely football reasons.
/s
?

Lincoln is a really fun town.
The thinking that you’re displaying here is probably why Minnesota has sucked forever. We just assume everywhere else sucks.

there are great places all over the country. If you’re a big time football player both Lincoln and Omaha would be great places to be. If you’re a regular college kid the same statement applies.

Agreed. I lived in Iowa City for a year and I loved it. It's a great town.

It is comical how some think that highly ranked players from larger metropolitan areas go to Nebraska because it is in Lincoln. You have to look at it from their point of view, not from yours as an older suburban or small town resident. In general, a small town is hell in their eyes. Without being on the team and hang out with their buddies, they would be on the first thing they could find to get out of town.
For sure. That’s why the best college recruits go to major metropolis cities like Austin, Norman, Tuscalusa, Athens, Gainesville, Columbus, Ann Arbor, State College

LOL

Also if ANY of the scuttlebutt is to be believed from Nebraska fan they often bemoan that going to Nebraska is ... generally not an appealing thing.

Now fan memes and ideas often are wrong, but I suspect there is something to that.

Iowa city is a great town. Big enough for good restaurants. Small enough you can get almost anywhere in town in 20 minutes or less. Ped mall is very nice place to go for food or a drink.
But I grew up in Northfield MN so I'm used to small town living. I hated living in big cities, I have lived in San Diego, Chicago and Houston.

You guys are pretty funny. Life long Gopher fan, raised in ND and now in Omaha for the better part of 20 years.

The 8°-10°F of weather difference throughout the winter that we have here nearly every day compared to Minneapolis makes a huge difference. Many of the eastern high school kids from the Dakotas finish college and move to either the "big towns" of Fargo/Sioux Falls or transition to Minneapolis. There are others, like me, who are huge Minnesota sports fans but enjoy not freezing their ass off half the year nor sitting in traffic constantly.

From my perspective I love Minneapolis weekly living six months of the year; however, once November hits GTFO and except a weekend here or there.

For sure. That’s why the best college recruits go to major metropolis cities like Austin, Norman, Tuscalusa, Athens, Gainesville, Columbus, Ann Arbor, State College

LOL

To be fair, Austin and Columbus have metro areas with over 2 million people. Norman is within a metro area of over 1 million.

And why did we start a thread on a random WR from Nebraska leaving their program?

Iowa city is a great town. Big enough for good restaurants. Small enough you can get almost anywhere in town in 20 minutes or less. Ped mall is very nice place to go for food or a drink.
But I grew up in Northfield MN so I'm used to small town living. I hated living in big cities, I have lived in San Diego, Chicago and Houston.
Sounds like Fargo, then. Barf

But that's me. ✌

Thoughts on the overall Cedar Rapids - Iowa City megalopolis? Some good companies there (Collins, Hy-Vee, etc.) and probably a fine place to raise some kiddos, I suspect.

Last edited:

Tons of recruits love college towns, love places where it is the only fame in town with a passionate and large fan base.

Tons of recruits love college towns, love places where it is the only fame in town with a passionate and large fan base.
What percentage is "tons"?

This must mean that Big East teams, largely located in heavily populated urban areas, don't win a game?

No doubt this is why the Gophers have dominated the recruiting rankings and not lost out on kids who instead go to those God-forsaken places like Iowa City, South Bend, Madison, Lincoln, Ames, Spokane, Durham and other hickville spots.

Lincoln seems like a fun college town. It's about the same size as Tuscaloosa, Clemson, College Station, and South Bend combined.

College kids don't care about cost of living but they also, clearly, don't care about how metropolitan their school might be. Granted, there are likely some kids who do, but on average they tend to look for fun college towns.

Saw Florida State flipped a Nebraska 4*OLB commit over the weekend.

Patrick Payton was the 4th rated player in their class.

Top Bottom