Freshman QB on the road

Jike Spingleton

Traveling Champ
Reaction score
Credit to Omega015 for the stat - if Streveler starts on Saturday, he will be the third freshman quarterback in Kill's four seasons to make his first career start on the road. I was lucky enough to witness the previous two in person, and will be in Fort Worth this weekend, and I also was there when freshman Adam Weber made his first road start in 2007, a 42-39 loss to Florida Atlantic.

2011: Max Shortell @ Michigan (58-0 loss)
2012: Philip Nelson @ Wisconsin (38-13 loss)

Add in Mitch Leidner's four starts as a freshman last year, and we're working on a dubious streak here, as Studwell has pointed out.

Prior to Weber, anyone know the last time the Gophers had a freshman starting QB?

God forbid Streveler gets hurt, we go to a true Freshman, walk-on in Perra.

So based on previous experience we should expect about a 40-3 game if Leidner can't go?

Time will tell. Maybe Perra is the guy who is destined to carry us. Maybe Leidner plays his best game. Maybe Streveler runs the option offense to perfection and when he does pass the receivers are sooo wide open he floats it up there so they run to it even if it isn't exactly on target. There is no sense worrying about it. We have absolutely no control over what happens. Just believe we find a way to adjust and win. "Worry is a misuse of imagination"

I know Dungy had to play as a freshmen because of an injury to Lawing in 1973.....Also, Rickey Foggie played as freshman.

Prior to Weber, anyone know the last time the Gophers had a freshman starting QB?

Abdul-Khaliq opened his freshman season (2000) as the starter in game 1 vs LA-Monroe. He didn't start that entire year though.

Time will tell. Maybe Perra is the guy who is destined to carry us. Maybe Leidner plays his best game. Maybe Streveler runs the option offense to perfection and when he does pass the receivers are sooo wide open he floats it up there so they run to it even if it isn't exactly on target. There is no sense worrying about it. We have absolutely no control over what happens. Just believe we find a way to adjust and win. "Worry is a misuse of imagination"

Anything can happen on a one-off basis. Honestly, I think Perra might be the guy we've been looking for, but you can't run a winning program by starting a new Freshman every year at QB. It's just not a winning formula.

This is the right attitude.
FWIW I think Streveler will do just fine if indeed Leidner is out. I bet he's part of the gameplan regardless. The kid can run, Limegrover for all his faults has found ways to use QB's that can run.
I also think we got a good one in Perra, though I'd like to see him after he's more familiar with the O.

go forbid Streveler doesnt get hurt and we see the ickey shuffle on each QB keeper..
until he's either lit up by an ILB and goes down.. or its 44-6 and Perra finally gets a snap or two.
we need a passer back there more than we need a runner.. I'd go with Perra.

go forbid Streveler doesnt get hurt and we see the ickey shuffle on each QB keeper..
until he's either lit up by an ILB and goes down.. or its 44-6 and Perra finally gets a snap or two.
we need a passer back there more than we need a runner.. I'd go with Perra.

please stop posting if you're going to be hoping for injury to a player.

Abdul-Khaliq opened his freshman season (2000) as the starter in game 1 vs LA-Monroe. He didn't start that entire year though.

Good call. For some reason, I thought that was his sophomore season. That was my first year with student season tickets, and remember the Travis Cole Fan Club fondly.

Let 'em play the game, and judge afterwards. Let's not prejudge.

Top Bottom