Fresh start. This means .....

frannyjunk

Reaction score
Coyle wanted a re-boot, so the first thing was a new HC hire. But Fleck will also want a fresh start, as does every new HC. This will likely mean:

- "tanking" year 1 - not literally, but PJF will be looking to build for the future, probably peaking in year 4 just in time for contract extension. This means Gophers will not win too many games in 2017. So, don't hold your hopes out for a bowl game in 2017

- new players - "the 10" are as good as gone. There is nobody that will speak up for them now. The last person that did was fired! Who would dare defend "the 10" with such repercussions. It would have been good to see Seth Green in a Gopher uniform, but I do not believe that to be likely at this point

- no JC recruits - building for the future likely means not plugging immediate holes. I would anticipate only HS recruits come signing day in February

- new slogan - no more brick-by-brick. I am sure PJF will come up with something new

- lower price tickets - Coyle/PJF needs to fill the seats, especially when the team will likely be less competitive. So i expect ticket prices to go down, and more promotions of discount tickets (especially to students)

Hope I am wrong, and the Gophs make a lower bowl game this year.

Why do people assume that building for the future and being competitive in year 1 are mutually exclusive?

Why do people assume that building for the future and being competitive in year 1 are mutually exclusive?

I kinda wonder the opposite.

Why are there Gopher fans picking wins on the schedule ahead of time....

Wait, are you asking why fans speculate on their team?

More so why they would be so sure of the win total. It's like they've never watched a Gopher game.

There aren't many teams that can count sure wins in all of college football, certainly not the Gophers.

There is a weird yin and yang with the gophers where folks expect X results, but when they get Y it is "oh yeah of course because they're the Gophers". At some point you'd think they'd reevaluate.

DB's - Winfield, Hardin & Buford are gone, maybe Shenault as well.. Travis and Myrick graduated. Durr's injury is unknown That is basically the entire 2016 starting defensive backfield + a few reserves. I would doubt PJF would bring in JC DBs.

QB - Croft and some other frosh. I would doubt that PJF will bring in JC QB. So, QB has very little experience

Schemes - all new O and D schemes. Will take time for players to get used to.

More so why they would be so sure of the win total. It's like they've never watched a Gopher game.

There aren't many teams that can count sure wins in all of college football, certainly not the Gophers.

There is a weird yin and yang with the gophers where folks expect X results, but when they get Y it is "oh yeah of course because they're the Gophers". At some point you'd think they'd reevaluate.

Broken record time... sigh. This program is not a rebuild, at all.

There is a large core group of talented, smart players coming back who won 9 games in 2016. Many of those players got good playing time in 2016. Like past years, within that group are players who are just looking for the opportunity to show what they can do, lie Poock, Elmore, Cashman, Coughlin, Devers, Smith, Johnson, Celestin, Brooks, etc.

Fleck's offense and defense are similar so players adapting will really be a non-issue, and I expect him to adapt as well and focus on what will work most successfully right away with the current players. He will be working with better coaches, players, facilities, and resources compared to what he had at WMU. Home run for him. 8 regular season wins in 2017, 9-10 in 2018, and a shot at running the table in 2019.

There is a large core group of talented, smart players coming back who won 9 games in 2016. Many of those players got good playing time in 2016. Like past years, within that group are players who are just looking for the opportunity to show what they can do, lie Poock, Elmore, Cashman, Coughlin, Devers, Smith, Johnson, Celestin, Brooks, etc.

Fleck's offense and defense are similar so players adapting will really be a non-issue, and I expect him to adapt as well and focus on what will work most successfully right away with the current players. He will be working with better coaches, players, facilities, and resources compared to what he had at WMU. Home run for him. 8 regular season wins in 2017, 9-10 in 2018, and a shot at running the table in 2019.

I don't necessarily disagree.... I was commenting more on fan behavior generally.

The program may not be a complete rebuild, but I also don't think it's that simple to say there won't be any drop-off in wins and we'll just pick up where we left off. I think that's a possibility, but not sure how likely it is.

I don't necessarily disagree.... I was commenting more on fan behavior generally.

OK, thanks. Based on the schedule, there are 7 games the Gophs should win based on recent history. PJ really only needs to win one the Gophs should not, based on recent history. One could comfortably argue that the Iowa and Neb games should be seen as possible toss ups based on recent history.

Add to that Iowa lost just about every skilled position starter on offense.

Nebraska's potential starting QB, a transfer from Tulane, was a 50% passer there with zero ability to run. Think ML, but actually losing yardage any time he tried to run.

OK, thanks. Based on the schedule, there are 7 games the Gophs should win based on recent history. PJ really only needs to win one the Gophs should not, based on recent history. One could comfortably argue that the Iowa and Neb games should be seen as possible toss ups based on recent history.

Add to that Iowa lost just about every skilled position starter on offense.

Nebraska's potential starting QB, a transfer from Tulane, was a 50% passer there with zero ability to run. Think ML, but actually losing yardage any time he tried to run.

Classic Gopherhole:

Posts about the dangers of counting chickens.

Response is a whole lot of chicken counting...

Coyle wanted a re-boot, so the first thing was a new HC hire. But Fleck will also want a fresh start, as does every new HC. This will likely mean:

- "tanking" year 1 - not literally, but PJF will be looking to build for the future, probably peaking in year 4 just in time for contract extension. This means Gophers will not win too many games in 2017. So, don't hold your hopes out for a bowl game in 2017

- new players - "the 10" are as good as gone. There is nobody that will speak up for them now. The last person that did was fired! Who would dare defend "the 10" with such repercussions. It would have been good to see Seth Green in a Gopher uniform, but I do not believe that to be likely at this point

- no JC recruits - building for the future likely means not plugging immediate holes. I would anticipate only HS recruits come signing day in February

- new slogan - no more brick-by-brick. I am sure PJF will come up with something new

- lower price tickets - Coyle/PJF needs to fill the seats, especially when the team will likely be less competitive. So i expect ticket prices to go down, and more promotions of discount tickets (especially to students)

Hope I am wrong, and the Gophs make a lower bowl game this year.

I tend to agree here. We wouldn't need to be a rebuild in 2017, but I don't see PJF filling holes (ex: JuCO OL he cut loose) with anything other than FR. Further, I see him likely setting "examples" by moving some others aside that have the talent to play but don't buy in 100%. Much easier to set a culture and get buy in from those that have little or no "reference" on the old culture. The cupboard isn't bare, but PJF is going to clear it out more before he starts filling it, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Classic Gopherhole:

Posts about the dangers of counting chickens.

Response is a whole lot of chicken counting...

Interesting. Only danger I see is being wrong on a CF fan board where the main purpose is to post opinions. Already has happened many times and somehow, miraculously I guess, I didn't lose any sleep.

Just curious as I can't remember as it's been so long ago, but what was your Avatar during the Brewster years? You've had some pretty solid ones!

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more discussions on uniforms. We all know the uniforms are a selling point for recruits so this seems like a clear area in which PJ can make a "cultural" change. If you're going to start from fresh, might as well put your own stamp on the unis too....

I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more discussions on uniforms. We all know the uniforms are a selling point for recruits so this seems like a clear area in which PJ can make a "cultural" change. If you're going to start from fresh, might as well put your own stamp on the unis too....

There has been, on a different post. Uni's are solid. Love the classic look. Last thing they need is a uniform change. Pretty sure Wacker tried that...no thanks.

Interesting. Only danger I see is being wrong on a CF fan board where the main purpose is to post opinions. Already has happened many times and somehow, miraculously I guess, I didn't lose any sleep.

Everything is relative to "danger".... yeah i'm pretty sure you won't die most of the time.

There has been, on a different post. Uni's are solid. Love the classic look. Last thing they need is a uniform change. Pretty sure Wacker tried that...no thanks.

I know there has been, hence why I said "been more".

While I agree with you, nothing wrong with slight tweaks to the unis.

Agreed. With the foundation that is in place, there is no reason Fleck can't have a successful first year. Coaches are competitive. None of them want to lose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe they need some high end shoe ideas, all the kids these days go goo goo gaga over shoes.

That should net us a few 4 star recruits....

Everything is relative to "danger".... yeah i'm pretty sure you won't die most of the time.

Point being there's zero danger or fear...the potential being wrong at times on this board is more a prerequisite to good discussion. Can't really see how anyone could post an opinion without those being the case.

I know there has been, hence why I said "been more".

While I agree with you, nothing wrong with slight tweaks to the unis.

Guessing there are a few other "hotter" topics right now...:p

Agreed. With the foundation that is in place, there is no reason Fleck can't have a successful first year. Coaches are competitive. None of them want to lose.

Agree that coaches are competitive, but there are only so many hours in a day. I would expect PJF to put more of his time/effort into recruiting, changing culture, selling MN football program, etc than into game planning/coaching in 2017. After all, even if he goes 0-12 in 2017, he still gets a pass.

Point being there's zero danger or fear...the potential being wrong at times on this board is more a prerequisite to good discussion. Can't really see how anyone could post an opinion without those being the case.

There is no more danger or fear than say anything that happens on here... ever.

Just curious as I can't remember as it's been so long ago, but what was your Avatar during the Brewster years? You've had some pretty solid ones!

Good question - I don't remember either!

Agree that coaches are competitive, but there are only so many hours in a day. I would expect PJF to put more of his time/effort into recruiting, changing culture, selling MN football program, etc than into game planning/coaching in 2017. After all, even if he goes 0-12 in 2017, he still gets a pass.

I strongly disagree with this take. He will no doubt put a ton of time into all those things you mentioned during the off-season but during the season they are going to do whatever they can to win games. Best way to get the fans on your side is by winning games and being competitive. While he shouldn't feel any pressure to win or else I have zero doubt they will do everything possible to win as early as possible.

This will not be a classic "rebuild" year. It will be a "fill gaps" year. No reason to believe anything less than a .500 season.

This will not be a classic "rebuild" year. It will be a "fill gaps" year. No reason to believe anything less than a .500 season.

As long as the QB position isn't a complete disaster I would agree that there is enough of a foundation there for at least a decent season in the .500 range as a floor. Good or bad though nobody should get too caught up in the final record for next season.

Bowl game definitely within reach, particularly if he finds a QB or two.

The 2nd 5 of the 10 could be back, seems like PJ will let this play out, with the appeals.

He already has a slogan, you may have heard of it, it's called Row the Boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom