Free tickets to H.S. teams????

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of what looked to be high school football teams in the upper section of the student area. I wonder if the U is giving free tickets to high school football teams to promote the team and fill the upper end of the stadium up. If so, I think it is a good strategy!

Yes, this is what happened. I know Irondale and at least one other team were there.

It looked like there was quite a number of teams up there. I really like this and hope they continue to do it.

History Lesson here:

Seasons 1959, 1960, 1961, there was always one Gopher Game each year at Memorial Stadium where the open end bleachers were reserved for High School teams. To see scores and scores of different HS team players in all of the various and mixed colored HS letter jackets all together in those bleachers to watch, cheer, and having mouths agape from the excitement of witnessing the likes of Sandy Stephens, Judge Dickson, Bill Munsey, amongst others, and National Champions one of those years.

I don't know if the tickets were free or not, but even so, it would be a great idea to have that again.

Go Gophers!!

U students could get in free as well, there was a coupon in the MNDaily.

The Gopher's Stadium looked and sounded great yesterday. Starting with U students and high school football teams the U needs to look for every opportunity to make unsold tickets available to get people in the stands.

Hell, if those tickets aren't going to get sold right now, might as well give them out for free.

This nothing NEW, has been past practice for a number of years, at least back to Wacker if not the later of the Guety years.

I think it would be cool to have a few games where you play for the free tickets. A few marquee matchups a week where the winner takes the tickets. That would be cool. Another idea is instead of giving the tickets away for free, the teams would buy the tickets, and maybe the U could give back 75% of the money to the high school's football program.

There is no competition for the tickets it's first come serve. As you can see by the number of empty seats they are not turning away HS teams.

They used to do this in the Cook Hall bleachers at Memorial Stadium. Just like they used to do Band Day. But I doubt the tickets are free because that would be an NCAA recruiting violation. I asked the U a long time ago about that. Nice idea though and good to see H.S. teams in attendance.

Top Bottom