Frank the Tank on the BT championship game

Reaction score
I hadn't heard that Indy was the permanent site. Kind of makes sense. It's better for the BT to have the game indoors. It favors the team that would fare better in a matchup with the SEC.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

Some good cracks on Chicago in this article. I'd have preferred Chicago myself. It'd be 3 hours closer if we ever were to get there. If I had to guess driving times to Indy (hours)

UW: 5 (15 if you stop at every bar along the way)
MSU/SCum: 4-5 (the way Michiganders drive, maybe 3)
NW-3 (6 at rush hour)
MN: 10 (done it many times on my way to OH for my wife's family. Trick is leaving St. Paul at 5AM to avoid Chicago rush hour)
OSU: 4-5 (but not for at least 4 years)
PSU: 8 (at least. State College is 3 hours from ANYWHERE)
IOWA: 5-6 (12 by tractor)
NU: 10 (lots of cornfields to drive by. And then you get to Iowa)
PU: 2 (you could lock down the ladies rooms at Lucas field, given the number of female students at Purdue)
IL: 2 (not till after Zook gets fired)
IU: who cares. None of their fans would go, anyway.

I hear this claim oft repeated. It does not favor the team that would match up better with the SEC, that is totally bogus.

Maybe playing indoors doesn't give the speedier finesse team a big advantage, but playing outdoors in December along Lake Michigan definitely hurts. If it's 10 degrees, blustery and snowing, the team playing Tresselball is going to be favored. Oops, guess that isn't a concern any more. But still, how many times have we seen a smashmouth team look like cr@p when they come up against a speedy team from down south in the BCS game?

Maybe playing indoors doesn't give the speedier finesse team a big advantage, but playing outdoors in December along Lake Michigan definitely hurts. If it's 10 degrees, blustery and snowing, the team playing Tresselball is going to be favored. Oops, guess that isn't a concern any more. But still, how many times have we seen a smashmouth team look like cr@p when they come up against a speedy team from down south in the BCS game?

That's because the SEC teams have been much better. They would win playing in Chicago too. Weather is vastly overrated. The Pats are a finesse team and they play pretty well in crappy weather. So are the Packers.

That's because the SEC teams have been much better. They would win playing in Chicago too. Weather is vastly overrated. The Pats are a finesse team and they play pretty well in crappy weather. So are the Packers.

How many times has a SEC school played in crappy weather in December? I bet none of them. IMO, we can't compare the NFL vs. college football in crappy weather. Why? The NFL on average plays in far worse conditions than the BCS teams because their season goes into Jan. and Feb.

No they wouldn't...

If you had bothered to look, the SEC record away from their area of the country is pedestrian at best. That is why they refused to go on the road unless it is to a "neutral venue" i.e. Atlanta. The SEC benefits from playing nothing but home games, particularly in bowls. You keep watching ESPN for your facts, maybe someday you will find the truth.

If you had bothered to look, the SEC record away from their area of the country is pedestrian at best. That is why they refused to go on the road unless it is to a "neutral venue" i.e. Atlanta. The SEC benefits from playing nothing but home games, particularly in bowls. You keep watching ESPN for your facts, maybe someday you will find the truth.

Exactly. Section2 must be drinking his SEC koolaid this morning.
Miami is not an SEC team, but a couple years ago in the Cap One or Champs Bowl Orlando was pretty unseasonably cool, like low 50s, and the U players were all huddled up around heaters on the sidelines looking like a bunch of babies. Needless to say they lost the game.

Nice drive time analysis

I hadn't heard that Indy was the permanent site. Kind of makes sense. It's better for the BT to have the game indoors. It favors the team that would fare better in a matchup with the SEC.

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

Some good cracks on Chicago in this article. I'd have preferred Chicago myself. It'd be 3 hours closer if we ever were to get there. If I had to guess driving times to Indy (hours)

UW: 5 (15 if you stop at every bar along the way)
MSU/SCum: 4-5 (the way Michiganders drive, maybe 3)
NW-3 (6 at rush hour)
MN: 10 (done it many times on my way to OH for my wife's family. Trick is leaving St. Paul at 5AM to avoid Chicago rush hour)
OSU: 4-5 (but not for at least 4 years)
PSU: 8 (at least. State College is 3 hours from ANYWHERE)
IOWA: 5-6 (12 by tractor)
NU: 10 (lots of cornfields to drive by. And then you get to Iowa)
PU: 2 (you could lock down the ladies rooms at Lucas field, given the number of female students at Purdue)
IL: 2 (not till after Zook gets fired)
IU: who cares. None of their fans would go, anyway.

Barf!

Strange logic to pick an indoor venue in Indianapolis. Funny that we have been fighting for 25 or more years to get back outside to play, and now if we would be so lucky as to get to the Big Ten Championship game, we will find ourselves indoors, and the advantage of Gophers playing in the northernmost clime goes for naught. We are the one team that should want to play outdoors always, no matter how cold, windy, wet, or snowy the weather. Chicago is a great place to spend a weekend. Indianapolis is not. The historical center of the Big Ten Conference is Chicago. The Palmer House is where the Purdue Chancellor convened the first meeting for formation of the conference. The epicenter of the conference is definitely further west, if not also further north. There are only 4 schools that have latitude east of Indianapolis, that being MSU, Michigan (and these two not by much) OSU, and PSU. Therefore, it appears to me that the decision was made to appease PSU, OSU, Michigan, MSU, IU, and Purdue. The latter two could bicycle to Indianapolis. I have no vote, but I don't like this. Not even a little bit. I cannot imagine that Cornhuskers like this very much either. Why Rahm Emmanuel, an NU alumn did not fight harder for the football championship game venue to be down the street from Evanston, is beyond me.

If playing the BTCG outdoors in December directly causes a smashmouth running team to win the game over a pass-happy shotgun team, then so be it. In fact, good for them!

1) that gives Minnesota the best possible chance (however small it is) to win such a game oin the future
2) that is and should be the identify of Big Ten teams: big, powerful running teams
3) it's hogwash that a powerful running team can't beat SEC teams. Those teams are not more talented than Big Ten, Big XII, ACC or PAC 10 teams. The SEC champion gets an automatic bid to the BCS CG and they've had unprecedented fortune to play well in those games the past 5 years. That streak cannot and will not continue. They will not win the championship this year.

Chicago is the HQ of the Big Ten and will and should be the permanent home of the BTCG, once they get their act together and submit a better bid. It should be for bball as well, but that's another thread.

Top Bottom