Frank Mitchell commits

Lots of rumors about why the 3 sophomores left, tough to know what is true and what isn't.
I just have the feeling Payne was not a leader in any clubhouse dissention but perhaps more in sympathy with his two fellow sophomore class friends. Payne's decision seems much more likely to be simply based on money and perceived market value.

He got as much playing time as his ailing back allowed and he was starting all through the conference season. Don't think he was a malcontent.

I get the excitement.. we got our first signing... We've been waiting.. but the dood played at canisius. And put up Payne type numbers.. (rebounding aside) he is not an upgrade until proven otherwise.... Payne would tear up that league....

I would add, they don't want a precedent that players can just enter the transfer portal to test the waters and come back if Minnesota is the best offer. If you want committment you don't allow testing the waters. If there were extenuating circumstances, then exceptions may happen. I think it is the right move but good chance one of your reasons is the biggest factor.
The easy answer is, would PJ Fleck allow a guy to enter the portal, test the waters, and then come back?

With the Mitchell commitment we now have 4 true front court players (thanks again, Parker!) but one of those is an untested freshman. All we need is an injury to be dangerously thin there and, if Groves isn't ready to compete, we're already dangerously thin there. Going into the 2018 season we had Murphy, Lynch, Curry, and Bakary. I was angry about Matz being recruited as a sit out transfer (I did like him as a player when he played later) because I didn't think the front court was safe with those numbers. Sure enough, Curry was hurt in the offseason and Lynch was suspended in early January of the season and that year proceeded to go down the toilet.
I'm counting Betts as a true 4 as well, but yea both he and Groves are completely unproven. I'd HOPE Betts could offer spot minutes as the 5th big with this being his 3rd season in the program...

I think Mitchell plays 20-25 minutes here- splitting some time with Parker Fox. My guess is that the plan is to post Garcia on the blocks more because he is pretty slick down there, with Mitchell getting garbage buckets on offensive rebounds and also some screen and roll dishes from Hawkins. So I see Mitchell as an 8 point 10 rebound guy. Payne is a 14 pt 9 rebound guy if he plays 30 minutes somewhere and I think that's what he is shopping for - in addition to the money.

Payne has more upside but I do hold out the possibility that Mitchell could end up being the better team fit guy to pair with Garcia. He has a nose for the boards (excellent) and he sure passed well in the clips I saw. Can he defend the post?
That is huge.

I get the excitement.. we got our first signing... We've been waiting.. but the dood played at canisius. And put up Payne type numbers.. (rebounding aside) he is not an upgrade until proven otherwise.... Payne would tear up that league....
Is Wet Blanket Guy on vacation or something? Good lord some of you will always try and find a negative angle on everything.

I just have the feeling Payne was not a leader in any clubhouse dissention but perhaps more in sympathy with his two fellow sophomore class friends. Payne's decision seems much more likely to be simply based on money and perceived market value.

He got as much playing time as his ailing back allowed and he was starting all through the conference season. Don't think he was a malcontent.
Every time he landed violently on his back, everyone here held their collective breath.

Is Wet Blanket Guy on vacation or something? Good lord some of you will always try and find a negative angle on everything.
I'm not gunna sugar coat a signing of this level.. if he blows the B1G up I'll gladly eat crow... I don't see him being an improvement..

Sorry if my beliefs don't mesh with yours... It'll happen more in your life... Cope... Deal with it

I'm not gunna sugar coat a signing of this level.. if he blows the B1G up I'll gladly eat crow... I don't see him being an improvement..

Sorry if my beliefs don't mesh with yours... It'll happen more in your life... Cope... Deal with it
I'm not sure why this is controversial. Is Mitchell better than what I feared we might get (Jack Wilson II)? Yes. Is he better than Payne? No. I don't think it's all that close.

If the U gets Johnson the money he needs to sign top portal players, top recruits and retain his best players, we will be amazed at his rapid development as a coach.

Based on The Athletic's rankings, Mitchell is a very poor man's Pharrell Payne. The operative word is "poor."

I'm not sure why this is controversial. Is Mitchell better than what I feared we might get (Jack Wilson II)? Yes. Is he better than Payne? No. I don't think it's all that close.
Payne is a big loss. It is possible that Mitchell could fit better with what they want to do with Garcia and on the boards as well. There was no way they were going to bring in someone with Payne's potential, but I have myself getting pretty happy with who they got. Last year with Hawkins they found a speedy competitor who is undersized and therefore overlooked - but he turned out very, very well. This year they went out and found a guy who is just great at rebounding the ball and scrapping - but he is undersized for a post man, so he is overlooked. They are just going to have to put the right group together. One way or another, as a group they have to defend better..... a lot better...to win big.

I went back and looked at Payne's production vs our non conference schedule. Arguably worst competition than Canisius conference schedule. Payne's non conf stats are not impressive. I think it is more of a wash. With Mitchell being fairly new to basketball I'm optimistic that he will get better.

If the U gets Johnson the money he needs to sign top portal players, top recruits and retain his best players, we will be amazed at his rapid development as a coach.
The transformation would be absolutely astounding. It would be amazing how the light just suddenly clicked-on for Ben.

Dang it.....did they forget to invite me to the parade route planning meeting again?

It's a nice pickup and a good start. If he is the only guy we sign then clearly it won't be enough but Mitchell makes for a nice first piece.

Where did you get the idea Payne's replacement has to be better? That is not necessary for team success. If Mitchell is at least a better rebounder who takes away second and third shots from the other team, he's good enough and what we need.

Where did you get the idea Payne's replacement has to be better? That is not necessary for team success. If Mitchell is at least a better rebounder who takes away second and third shots from the other team, he's good enough and what we need.
People were being positive about the pickup and we have some here that just can't deal with that and feel the need to find a way to inject some negativity back into the conversation. :)

I went back and looked at Payne's production vs our non conference schedule. Arguably worst competition than Canisius conference schedule. Payne's non conf stats are not impressive. I think it is more of a wash. With Mitchell being fairly new to basketball I'm optimistic that he will get better.
Payne was really inconsistent. Sometimes he was the best player on the court and other times the basketball looked like a slimy, flopping fish.

The potential to be great is there for him. You don't just accidentally dominate in a handful of games. For him, he just has to be more consistent.

I don't expect Mitchell to dominate like Payne did at times but hopefully he is more consistent with his play.

He was a far better rebounder in a shitter league... Look I like what he brings... Just off the bench.

I'm counting Betts as a true 4 as well, but yea both he and Groves are completely unproven. I'd HOPE Betts could offer spot minutes as the 5th big with this being his 3rd season in the program...

I guess I have to keep reminding myself that this past season actually was Betts' true freshman year. I didn't include him among the "true front court players" because he looks small and undeveloped to me but I do know that players can surprise you if given the time.

I guess I have to keep reminding myself that this past season actually was Betts' true freshman year. I didn't include him among the "true front court players" because he looks small and undeveloped to me but I do know that players can surprise you if given the time.
Age wise maybe... But it wasn't his true freshman year...

Top Bottom