FoxSports North: Kill doesn't waste time with false optimism

...and the corpse of Tim Brewster is pummeled yet again, brought into a discussion where it had no place.

I've been dragging an effigy of Tim Brewster behind my car since September.

Ya'll know we won't stop hearing about Brew until at the EARLIEST the start of this season. And that's just the earliest..

Sorry Brew. I still appreciate your heart and work.

I feel confident Brewster put everything he had into this program. He may have just been over his head. I'm confident Coach Kill can turn this around, and as a current student, I hope I have the power to contribute to this program in the later years.

Brewster did nothing to earn respect from the fans. He was at best a delusional bumpkin; convinced of his own greatness through good old Central Texas hyperbolic osmosis. He was at worst a thief; calculating in his pilferage of a university too drenched in its own self-loathing to recognize the painfully apparent low-brow heist happening on its own watch.

Any ongoing aspersions of his tenure should be met with knowing approval.

Brewster did nothing to earn respect from the fans. He was at best a delusional bumpkin; convinced of his own greatness through good old Central Texas hyperbolic osmosis. He was at worst a thief; calculating in his pilferage of a university too drenched in its own self-loathing to recognize the painfully apparent low-brow heist happening on its own watch.

So how do you REALLY feel?

...and the corpse of Tim Brewster is pummeled yet again, brought into a discussion where it had no place.

Technically, Brewster is still getting paid by the U thru the 2013 season, so that makes him fair game. And 2013 is about how long it will take Kill to clean up the mess Timmy left. I'll quit ripping on Brewster if he foregoes the $200K/yr the U is paying him, or donates it to charity.

Technically, Brewster is still getting paid by the U thru the 2013 season, so that makes him fair game. And 2013 is about how long it will take Kill to clean up the mess Timmy left. I'll quit ripping on Brewster if he foregoes the $200K/yr the U is paying him, or donates it to charity.

That's new. Do you have a source for the payments through 2013?

Wow. Though I did not care for him I do genuinely believe that he wanted to win at Minnesota - if for nothing else than to advance his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/29935/a-look-at-tim-brewsters-contract-situation

That's why I used the term "technically" in my post. Although I may have been a little off on whether the U is still paying him, he did get 1/2 his salary thru '13 if I read this right. If he returns all that scratch I'll only post nice things about Brewster from now on.

It wouldn't make much sense to do it that way as the contract is over at point of termination. Usually, buyouts (in either direction), are due when the contract ends.

Employment Contracts

It wouldn't make much sense to do it that way as the contract is over at point of termination. Usually, buyouts (in either direction), are due when the contract ends.

Your statement is just not accurate or true. Most executive contracts have termination language that gives the terminated employee payments that can last several years or even more. Part of the reason for this is to decrease the tax consequences of the payments, part is to better manage the organization’s cash flow, and part of this is to assure that the terminated employee will have a predictable income stream for a period of time. They are not called "Golden Parachute" for nothing.

I am always amazed that people will write things here as facts or the truth without really understanding what the facts are and how things work.

Your statement is just not accurate or true. Most executive contracts have termination language that gives the terminated employee payments that can last several years or even more. Part of the reason for this is to decrease the tax consequences of the payments, part is to better manage the organization’s cash flow, and part of this is to assure that the terminated employee will have a predictable income stream for a period of time. They are not called "Golden Parachute" for nothing.

I am always amazed that people will write things here as facts or the truth without really understanding what the facts are and how things work.

I was thinking that was the case, for the reasons you stated. For the U, a simple NPV calculation would dictate that it makes sense to spread it out, and also the tax reasons you mentioned makes it a win-win. Weren't we paying Monson for several years after he got the heave-ho?

If the buyout is less than one year it makes no sense to drag things out for multiple years, IMO. Obviously, a contract can be drawn up any way both parties agree to.

Since you believe my opinion to be untrue, please explain why, when the original salary was $800,000 per year and the buyout is $600,000, it would make sense to you to make $200,000 payments for three years.

I was going to ping you on your most executive contract assertion but you just ended up saying most may, which is true -- a severance package can be constructed any number of ways. Although, I would assert that most corporations would want to clean things up as soon as possible as I would think they are likely going to have to account for the severance at the point of termination (any accountants that know what current GAAP says about installment payments in a situation like this, feel free to chime in).

Since you believe my opinion to be untrue, please explain why, when the original salary was $800,000 per year and the buyout is $600,000, it would make sense to you to make $200,000 payments for three years.

Because you will have to pay a different coach $800,000 the next year. Spread the payments out, don't break the bank all at once.

I fully agree, but would point out that you apparently failed to follow your own advice.:)

The following quote is taken from a copy of Coach Brewster's contract extension that was linked at KSTP last October. It indicates Coach Brewster would be paid off within 120 days of his notice of termination. I'm confident this is standard procedure at the U and most other universities.

(quote)3. Section 3.2 is amended to provide as follows:

3.2. The University's Right to Terminate Without Just Cause. The Uníversity
may terminate this Agreement at any time without just cause upon 90 days' written
notice to Coach. In such event, the University shall pay Coach as a termination fee
based on the terms of this Agreement one-half of the base salary amount payable to
Coach under Section 2.1.1. of this Agreement for the remainder of the Term of
Employment within thirty (30) days of the end of the notice period. (end quote)

KSTP link: http://kstp.com/news/stories/s1793973.shtml

I had no idea the New Yorker had a Gopher Football section!

Go Gophers!

Top Bottom