Foxsports.com: Walker to MN

Outstanding. He will be a great spring signing. Not easy to find players of this level at this point.

If you have money in your family, or you have friends that do, call Joel Maturi and pledge some funds to get that practice facility built! Tubby Smith can take Minnesota to the top of the mountain, but Coach Smith needs to see the type of commitment it takes in order to get there. And that practice facility will benefit Minnesota basketball for years to come.

Section201,

I understand the wanting of official word on this commitment (especially with all the rable rousing about Tubby and every open job out there), but the fact that Myron has direct quotes from Walker himself included in his tweets tells me that this is legit.

As for next year, we're going to be absolutely huge physically. Possibly the biggest Gopher team in school history. Even if Trevor isn't cleared, we're still going to physically manhandle quite a few teams. :clap: Add Trevor into the mix and we'll be pretty overwhelming from forward up to center. Hopefully, we can add another guard (wink, wink) in the coming days.

Not to be critical but I believe Dutch had 5, 7 footers and Shic on the team at one time. Next years tallent will be much better with our BIGS.

Not to be critical but I believe Dutch had 5, 7 footers and Shic on the team at one time. Next years tallent will be much better with our BIGS.

Dutcher never coached Shick, he recruited him but Clem took over. The year prior he had Holmgren (bad knees) and Shasky at 7 ft but I can't recall others from that team. Dutcher always liked to have a 7 footer or two though for the back end of his zone defense.

Musselman had a huge team when he had Brewer, Behagan, Taylor, Turner and Barker. Then he got Chad Nelson, Mychal Thompson and Olberding in one class- another huge front.

You could very well be correct; I honestly don't know. Regardless, this will be the biggest team we've had in at least 20 years.

bga1, the big next to Holmgren was Paul VanDen Einde - he and Holmgren were earth bound and struggled to catch the ball well. SaturnSweater has some good stories about Holmgren and VanDen Einde's strong interest in weed.

The next time we brought in two bigs at that size together was Loge and Sanden and that didn't work out either. The RS3/Colt combo has already given us much more than those two duos combined and then some!

Tubby loves him some bigs and he's building this roster to reflect that.

Go Gophers!!

Believe a guy named Mike Carpenter signed around the same time as Holmgren and VanDen Einde. Over 7 feet tall from Kentucky or Tennessee, but never played that I recall.

Possibly the biggest Gopher team in school history.

I think Dutcher's "Birch Forest" was as tall or taller. But I doubt they were as good as this bunch. Van Den Eide, Carpenter, Holmgren. Carpenter transferred. He was incredibly slow.

Doogie, YOU the man!!!

Hope to see him sign the LOI along with Cory!!!

Doogie is not the man. Read his prior threads, many of which throw out negative, unsupported editorials of Gopher sports, such as claiming Tubby is leaving the U because his wife is unhappy here.

83 84 roster tall, but thin. I remember the photo of the 3 7 Footers

Gopher Basketball 1983-1984 Roster (By Position)

No. Name Pos. Elg. Ht. Wt. Hometown
31 Clark, Charles G So 6-1 159 Garland, TX
34 Davis, Tommy G Jr 6-4 197 Aberdeen, MD
14 Jackson, Gerald G Fr 6-4 191 Arlington, VA (Flint Hill)
11 Skanes, Alonzo G So 6-2 183 Chicago, IL (Dunbar)
22 Tetzlaff, Per G Fr 6-2 174 Oslo, Norway (Bredtvet Gymnas)
24 Wilson, Marc G So 6-1 178 Baltimore, MD (Calvert Hall)
32 Brooks, Roland F Sr 6-7 189 Detroit, MI (Southwest)
40 Dahlke, Dave F So 6-6 206 Chaska, MN
20 Petersen, Jim F Sr 6-10 221 St. Louis Park, MN
33 Smith, Kevin F Fr 6-7 195 Lansing, MI (Everett)
54 Carpenter, Mike C Fr 7-2 215 Knoxville, TN (Farragut)
53 Holmgren, David C Fr 7-0 188 Prior Lake, MN
44 Shasky, John C So 7-0 226 Birmingham, MI (Brother Rice)
45 VanDen Einde, Paul C Fr 7-0 206 Willmar, MN

http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/1983-1984/roster_pos.html

Section201,

I understand the wanting of official word on this commitment (especially with all the rable rousing about Tubby and every open job out there), but the fact that Myron has direct quotes from Walker himself included in his tweets tells me that this is legit.

As for next year, we're going to be absolutely huge physically. Possibly the biggest Gopher team in school history. Even if Trevor isn't cleared, we're still going to physically manhandle quite a few teams. :clap: Add Trevor into the mix and we'll be pretty overwhelming from forward up to center. Hopefully, we can add another guard (wink, wink) in the coming days.

The gophers had several big teams back in the days.

Roster with players 6-10 or taller:

'77-'78 - 5 players
'78-'79 - 4 players
'79-'80 - 3 players
'80-'81 - 4 players
'81-'82 - 4 players
'82-'83 - 3 players
'83-'84 - 5 players (4 at 7ft or taller)

(from: http://ericthrall.com/gophers/basketball/1977-1978/roster_pos.html)

I remember one year the Gophers had the tallest starting front three in all of basketball (pro's or college). :cool:

Come to Minnesota to play on the same court as your brothers, Cory!

You aren't kidding! How is it possible to be 7 feet tall and weigh 188 lbs? That is literally skin, bones, and internal organs when you are that tall. On a side note, reading those names really brings back memories. Rolando Brooks jumping out of the gym, Tommy Davis hitting the three, Petersen doing his work inside and Marc Wilson starting show his talent. By the way, whens the last time we recruited a guy from Norway for basketball?

People forget, or are too young, to realize the U used to be considered a very strong program in the late 70s and 80s. Musselman and Dutcher had #1, or very close, recruiting classes back then. People did not think we were poor 'ol MN. On the roster above Tommy Davis, Marc Wilson, and Kevin Smith were all highly recruited. Jim Peterson was as well. We need to get back to having the expectation that we should be competing for top recruits. Tubby is doing it.

You aren't kidding! How is it possible to be 7 feet tall and weigh 188 lbs? That is literally skin, bones, and internal organs when you are that tall. On a side note, reading those names really brings back memories. Rolando Brooks jumping out of the gym, Tommy Davis hitting the three, Petersen doing his work inside and Marc Wilson starting show his talent. By the way, whens the last time we recruited a guy from Norway for basketball?

Those must be great memories for you. The only thing I'll call you out on was Tommy Davis hitting threes, as there wasn't yet a three-point line in college basketball during 1983-84. :D

Doogie is not the man. Read his prior threads, many of which throw out negative, unsupported editorials of Gopher sports, such as claiming Tubby is leaving the U because his wife is unhappy here.

Correct in substance and spirit. And you may have only struck the tip of the iceberg, although I'm not about to waste time going back through ancient posts for documentation. Messengers deserve neither blame nor credit.

If you have money in your family, or you have friends that do, call Joel Maturi and pledge some funds to get that practice facility built! Tubby Smith can take Minnesota to the top of the mountain, but Coach Smith needs to see the type of commitment it takes in order to get there. And that practice facility will benefit Minnesota basketball for years to come.

Seeing as my dad is a Wisconsin alum I don't think he'll heed my asking for some straight cash homey so the Gopher basketball program can get better :)

On another note, good get Tubby, welcome Mr. Walker!

Doogie, that was your best post ever. You might want to walk away while you're on top

Great post, wow, this brings back memories!! I was a freshman in 1984 and worked in Williams Arena and got to see free games. Boy, Kevin Smith had a smooth as butter jumper. Then the likes of Mitch Lee arrived the next year (cue the Darth Vader music)......leading to the awful Madison incident :(

I have always liked Doogie and see no need to be a Richard. Agree or not, why complain about a contributor? We got Walker, let's be happy Gophers and not jerks. Did Walker come out of nowhere or what?

How does this affect recruiting next year? We thought we would have PC's schollie and now we don't. Are we going to miss anyone? Nobody comes to mind, I don't recall anybody from 2011 we will miss, just asking.

#1 priority for 2011 is a big wing who can score. #2 is a PG, especially if we lose out on Cory. Even if we get him, Cory probably isn't 1 and done, but he could go after his soph year and I would be very surprised if he didn't go by the end of his junior year.

People forget, or are too young, to realize the U used to be considered a very strong program in the late 70s and 80s. Musselman and Dutcher had #1, or very close, recruiting classes back then. People did not think we were poor 'ol MN. On the roster above Tommy Davis, Marc Wilson, and Kevin Smith were all highly recruited. Jim Peterson was as well. We need to get back to having the expectation that we should be competing for top recruits. Tubby is doing it.

You can go back further than that. Started following Gopher basketball in the 50's. I think Chuck Mencel was my first basketball hero. The team was up and down through the mid to late 50's but I seem to recall a game with Iowa at Williams that drew over 20,000. Iowa won sending them to the NCAA instead of us. With Kundla as coach in the early 60's we really had great basketball. Ron Johnson was a great player. A bit later there were Eric Magdanz, Terry Kunze, Mel Northway, Dennis Dvorocek. Best of all, as I became a student at the U, Lou Hudson, Don Yates, and Archie Clark arrived. Williams was generally packed. Hate to be an old-timer and I love Tubby, but if you think games are fun now, you ain't seen anything. There was a 1 point loss to NCAA champion UCLA at the end of the 60's that was as tense and exciting as it gets.

People don't realize what a strong program we had because only the conference champion went to the NCAA tournament. Early, Ohio State had their super teams with Jerry Lucas and later it was Michigan with Cazzie Russell. We could never quite get over the hump. It also hurt that things kept happening like Lou Hudson breaking his hand one year and Terry Kunze flunking out another year. As a matter of fact, the tradition of raised expectations followed by bad luck or plain stupidity ruining them, goes back a lot further than the younger crowd realizes. Certainly, way before Clem and Royce White.

Top Bottom