FoxSports.com NCAA Brackets..Interesting Comments on Each Team

This link has us playing our first round game in Minneapolis. I didn't think this was an option or is it?

Go Gophers!!

Don't ask me, I just read the article and passed it along. If that happened, it's not like a home game due to playing at the Dome, right?

He loses some credibility by having the Gophers in Minneapolis. No can do. He needs to do a little homework.

I get that, I just thought the comments on each team were interesting, didn't pay any attention to sites.

His comments make it sound like Monson has a pretty good recruiting class as Freshman right now.
"Dan Monson starting three freshmen and a fourth plays a lot"

Didn't Illinois play close to home through the whole tournament in 2005?

The NCAA does not allow host teams to play at their site, no exceptions. Close to home is not the same as being the host school, which the U is for the games at the Metrodome.

Didn't the North Carolina teams...North Carolina and/or Duke...play most of the NCAA tourney IN the state of North Carolina last year ...or maybe two years ago?

Didn't the North Carolina teams...North Carolina and/or Duke...play most of the NCAA tourney IN the state of North Carolina last year ...or maybe two years ago?

Correct. UNC played first/second round games at Raleigh and sweet 16/elite 8 in Charlotte, NC in 2008. No.1 seeds obviously get special treatment, especially a darling like UNC. As a likely 10 or 11 seed, we'll be on the road somewhere.

The North Carolina thing:

Neither UNC nor Duke host the NCAA tournament, Minnesota does.

Too bad there's no other D-1 schools in the state of Minnesota that could host the tournament. The closest we could ever get is Madison. We need to get another D-1 school and then get some tournament games in the Xcel Center. :)

Actually, Kentucky is usually in a similar situation as Rupp Arena in Lexington often hosts the 1st or 2nd round games, which eliminates UK playing there. Not really much that can be done.

Bring it to Fargo, the Fargo Dome can be set up to seat 25-30,000 or more.
Biggest problem is finding a motel room if that would happen. LOL

Too bad there's no other D-1 schools in the state of Minnesota that could host the tournament. The closest we could ever get is Madison. We need to get another D-1 school and then get some tournament games in the Xcel Center. :)

Actually, Kentucky is usually in a similar situation as Rupp Arena in Lexington often hosts the 1st or 2nd round games, which eliminates UK playing there. Not really much that can be done.

They can turn over hosting to the Big Ten or even the Summit Conference.

In North Carolina, it's typically UNC-Greensboro or UNC-Charlotte that host the first and second rounds, allowing all the other teams to play close to home.

In 2005, correct me if I'm wrong, but Illinois-Chicago hosted the first two rounds, and then DePaul hosted the regional, clearing the way for Illinois to play close to home. Further, the Final Four was in St. Louis that year.

The Big Ten has hosted games in the past, but typically in Chicago. I'm not sure what the stipulations are as far as a conference hosting events, and how close to a home school/conference base location the games have to be. I'm having a hard time believing that the Summit League, based in Elmhurst, Illinois, has any interest in hosting any tournament games at the Metrodome, which is hours away from not only their base, but also any team that is within 200 miles of the site itself.

Per Wikipedia, the Illini's trip road to the 2005 Final Four went through the RCA Dome in Indianapolis (hosts there are always Butler and the Horizon League) and Rosemont Horizon (DePaul) before going to the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis (Missouri Valley Conference)

hey guys i made a comment on there and then this dude reply.

friedrichrocks at the above link.

Minnesota actually can play in Minneapolis, as the games are played in the Metrodome, instead of Williams Arena, which is where the Gophers normally play.

I am laughing so loud at him right now. he has no clue what so ever about what he talking about. maybe i should reply back to him telling him no they cannot.

That goes to show how little some of these so-called experts know what they're talking about. Typically when you call a sportswriter on a factual error they made, they'll never admit they're wrong. They're too arrogant. Sounds like this guy is no different. I am impressed that he knows the Gophers' home court is Williams Arena. ... what knowledge!

The guy is even more retarded, cause there's another reason why the Gophers couldn't play in the Metrodome this year...we will have a low seed!

The pod system protects the top 4 seeds geographically. So no low seeded teams can play close to their home. So even if Minnesota were allowed to play at home, even though we're hosting, the pod rules would prohibit a low seeded Minnesota team from having home court advantage. So this douche is wrong TWICE. Only the top 4 seeds get to play close to home.

In North Carolina, it's typically UNC-Greensboro or UNC-Charlotte that host the first and second rounds, allowing all the other teams to play close to home.

In 2005, correct me if I'm wrong, but Illinois-Chicago hosted the first two rounds, and then DePaul hosted the regional, clearing the way for Illinois to play close to home. Further, the Final Four was in St. Louis that year.

The Big Ten has hosted games in the past, but typically in Chicago. I'm not sure what the stipulations are as far as a conference hosting events, and how close to a home school/conference base location the games have to be. I'm having a hard time believing that the Summit League, based in Elmhurst, Illinois, has any interest in hosting any tournament games at the Metrodome, which is hours away from not only their base, but also any team that is within 200 miles of the site itself.

We're basically screwed unless Winona State becomes D1 and hosts the tourney. The closest we could ever get to home is Madison. Iowa wouldn't be bad, but I don't think they have a big enough arena to suit the NCAA. Minnesota is kinda restricted by its geography. Madison, Chicago, and Omaha will be the best we can get as far as distance.

Top Bottom