FoxSports: 8 coaches on the hot seat in 2014 (Pelini and Hoke both listed from BT)

I am actually surprised Coach Kill is not on this list. Not that he deserves to be on the list. Just considering all of the recent terrible articles about Minnesota (e.g. preseason ranking this, preseason ranking that).

I am actually surprised Coach Kill is not on this list. Not that he deserves to be on the list. Just considering all of the recent terrible articles about Minnesota (e.g. preseason ranking this, preseason ranking that).
When a team is starving for success any coach that has an 8-5 record gets a years reprieve from the hot seat.

When a team is starving for success any coach that has an 8-5 record gets a years reprieve from the hot seat.

Agreed. Repeat, I don't think he should be on the list. I am just surprised. Because lazy journalism.

Agreed. Repeat, I don't think he should be on the list. I am just surprised. Because lazy journalism.

Still, the question generally is - if Coach X has the same record this year as last year will he still be here. If Coach Kill has an 8-5 record next year he still has zero chance of being fired (barring some other situation). If most of the coaches mentioned have the same record as last year they are probably pounding the pavement (Pelini probably the only exception and who knows what his deal is).

No matter how lazy the journalists are they know there are very few expectations at MN still and that Kill would almost have to commit a crime to get canned this year. If they do poorly this year, then next year his seat could warm up. But as of now he could go 2-10 and not get canned this year.

Coaches are burdened with the expectation that nearly every season must be an improvement upon the previous season. Failure to improve is viewed poor performance. It's completely unfair, and it's not rationale.

Coaches are burdened with the expectation that nearly every season must be an improvement upon the previous season. Failure to improve is viewed poor performance. It's completely unfair, and it's not rationale.

So...Hire Glen Mason back?

I would think Beckman at Illinois will be very warm by the end of the year. Others with warmer seats in the Big 10, Coach Hazell at Purdue, and slight warmer for Kevin Wilson.

I would think Beckman at Illinois will be very warm by the end of the year. Others with warmer seats in the Big 10, Coach Hazell at Purdue, and slight warmer for Kevin Wilson.

I don't see how Wilson's seat is even warm. He's brought excitement, great offense, and solid recruiting. If I were a Hoosier fan I would want to give him at least 5 years to see if he can pair a decent defense with that offense.

True growth in our program will be when we can beat a big ten opponent and it doesn't start immediate speculation about the opposing head coach being fired.

I don't see how Wilson's seat is even warm. He's brought excitement, great offense, and solid recruiting. If I were a Hoosier fan I would want to give him at least 5 years to see if he can pair a decent defense with that offense.

I agree. While they looked much like Mason teams with a great offense and no defense, it will be interesting to see if they can ever improve the defense to compete in the east. Their meltdown in the game we had against them last year was even more Mason like than any game I can remember. I was so happy to see a game like that go our way for once ever.

[Their meltdown in the game we had against them last year was even more Mason like than any game I can remember. I was so happy to see a game like that go our way for once ever.[/QUOTE]

I don't get it, Minnesota was the team that had the Mason like meltdown in that game, not Indiana. Cobb had a third quarter TD run to put Minnesota up 35-14 and by the last minutes of the fourth quarter we were behind looking like losers.

Thankfully Wilson called the swing pass, and Hill pickup up the backwards pass, and previously Max William caught the near 50 yard late TD, otherwise this was a Mason like melt down.

I will admit, with the way Indiana was moving the ball, only to fail to score on a dropped backwards lateral gimmick call was sort of Masonesque. The call sort of reminds of the RB option pass mason liked so much that he called it against Alabama and it really sucked.

Coaches Hotseat has Hazzel at #8, Beckman at 11, Pelini at Number 17, Wilson at 18, and Hoke at 21.

http://coacheshotseat.com/

I'd put Wilson with Kill except a year behind, they were second in the conference in scoring last year.

We have seen big offenses go nowhere with some defense. Best local that compares to Wilson is not Mason rather Jim Wacker. When you have a high scoring offense, or score quickly. It puts your defense out there. And if you cannot stop the run, you get pounded. Then score quickly again, and defense is exposed to more pounding. And if you go three and out more pounding and your defense quits. That is the fools gold of quick strike offense with no defense.

How didn't Pelini get the ax after his rant about the fans?

it certainly lit the fire. And don't forget he took on Tommy Frazier. One more rant and he's gone. And on another note Nebraska will re-new the rivalry with Oklahoma in 2020 and 2021. I don't know if Stoops will still be there, but it will give Nebraska another chance to find a Coach.

Husker is astute. Not perfect, but astute. :cool02:

Definitely diehard's best comment ever.

I get your point, but on the same sense they've gone 1-11 (0-8) , 4-8 (2-6) and 5-7 (3-5) under Wilson. If they aren't at least playing for Bowl eligibility their last week I can see where people will be ready to move on. If they make a Bowl he's very much safe this year. But I also think they lost some key seniors (if I remember right - could be wrong) so he might be in for a rough time...

The one I don't get from Coaches Hot Seat is #20 Bobby Petrino. It's his first year! Plus he'd be owed $10 million if they fire him. Makes no sense to me at all. Oh, and Nick Saban at 14??? Seriously??? He could murder someone and not be fired.

The one I don't get from Coaches Hot Seat is #20 Bobby Petrino. It's his first year! Plus he'd be owed $10 million if they fire him. Makes no sense to me at all. Oh, and Nick Saban at 14??? Seriously??? He could murder someone and not be fired.

Petrino at #20 is hilarious. I think they're just angry in Louisville.

Another one that I think is out of place is Mike MacIntyre at #40. He took a VERY bad Colorado Buffalo team (3-10, 2011 & 1-11, 2012) to go 4-8 in 2013 and he's on the Edge of the Hot Seat? They should be constructing a statue of the guy in Boulder.

I would guess that both Michigan and Nebraska have both "been there" and won't panic.

Yes, the Maize & Blue is losing ground to both MSU and the OSU right now. And Nebraska has been trying to"fire their way to prosperity" compared to their usual rock-solid history of long-term stability. So, I would fully expect reason to prevail in both Lincoln and Ann Arbor. Nebraska will be pretty damn solid this year. They will have some playmakers on offense. They will NOT buy out a contract with a 10-3 or probably even a 9-4 record. Especially if they win a bowl game in that process.

Michigan just might compete pretty well with MSU this season. They probably will lose to tOSU, but, Urban doesn't always have control of every situation wih that bunch in Columbus. Even so, Michigan has watched enough "fire your way to prosperity" crap over the years to know that there PROBABLY isn't too much upside for them in buying out Hoke and taking a flyer on some "hot-shot-upstart" of the day to start all over with. Unless they go 8-5, with a bad bowl loss. Now, they might "answer the phone" if Nick Saban wanted out at Alabama and offered them a deal they couldn't refuse, but, I'd wager the current coach in Ann Arbor will return for the 2015 campaign.

Personally, I would LOVE to see both Nebraska and Michigan fire their current coaches at the end of this season. It would launch either of them...or...both of them on their own personal versions of a modified "WILDERNESS WALK." It would be a great thing for any and all of their rivals. It just will not happen at the end of the 2014 season though, I would guess. One can only hope It will. Perhaps the "fire your way to prosperity"spirit will overwhelm the suits and admin-types in Lincoln and Ann Arbor. IF they decide to try that easier, softer, sexier "buy out" method of regaining what they have both been losing to the instability changing coaches too often and hiring the wrong coach to replace their buy-out has done to drive them further down the pecking order within their conferences. Perhaps then the wilderness spiral may become more of a problem for them. Or, maybe in Lincoln and Ann Arbor the powers won't succumb to the folly of turning their programs into such a sad situation.

Coach Kill is rightfully NOT on any "hot seat" lists for 2014. The KEY for Jerry is to NOT go zero for three in 2014 against iowa, Michigan and wisky. He needs a trophy win in 2014. It is NOT for the fans or the press that he needs a trophy win: it is his players...his team...his system. Those young Student Athletes need to KNOW they belong on the playing field and CAN compete against those three TRADITIONAL Big Ten Rivals.

End the madness: beat the stinking badger in 2014!

Beckman is overmatched

I have to believe that any "hot seat" list in the Big Ten starts and ends with Tim Beckman. He's proven in a short amount of time that he is overmatched as a Big Ten coach.

I just don't have that same vibe with Hoke, Pelini, or Wilson, even though there are some (valid) frustrations in those programs.

Top Bottom